Home General Discussion

Dad can I?

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Today while putzin around with my son making a shelving unit for him to store all his air soft guns and what not, I lit up a stogie and he said "Dad, when I am 18 can I smoke a cigar with you?" My response "Hell ya you can!"

He followed with, "what kind? A room 101?" which made me smile and chuckle and realize he pays more attention than he lets on.

I am now trying to think of a stick that I can buy now, and get two of them and age them until he is of age. He is currently 12, I obviously do not want to get a heavy stick... but I know that mild sticks lose a lot as they age. What stick do you think would be a good one? I do not want to break the bank.... I am thinking it will prolly be a 101 or obsidian..but want some more suggestions....and just wanted to brag a lil bit :D

Comments

• Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Brother that is so AWESOME. My little boy is almost 2 and i cant wait for those days to come.. Enjoy and share the love...
  • jailhousejailhouse Posts: 137
    thats awsome brother.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Bro, that is great! My 13 y/o pretends he's gonna grab my smoke while I'm not looking. If he wants to join me in 5 yrs, no problem. I'm with you in your thoughts, I'd go with a 101 or Obsidian.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Toombes:
    Bro, that is great! My 13 y/o pretends he's gonna grab my smoke while I'm not looking. If he wants to join me in 5 yrs, no problem. I'm with you in your thoughts, I'd go with a 101 or Obsidian.
    ya, thinking it will be 2 from the first box I ever bought. Obsidian Mini coronas..
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    DPG Blue is one of my favs with age, but almost any Fuente ages well. Or you could just get a hold of a couple fresh-rolled Johnny-O's and let those bad boys sit! Awesome story also. My brother in law and I share quite a few smoke sessions together and his little boy, my nephew, is 5. One day while we were in the car with him he asked his Dad if he "moke gars with Daddy and Uncle Zach when he gets big?" The answer was a resounding "Yes" :)
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Dude you gotta go with a Room101.. OSOK might age pretty well.
    bigfnsteve:
    Have not been able to get my hands on one of those yet
    deejmemixx:
    bigfnsteve:
    K
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Not always the mild cigar loose it's flavor when they are aged. It's true wrapper provides 60% of the taste but binder and fillers are also important. Stradivarius cigar is a great cigar to age which comes with a vintage Connecticut Shsde wrapper. The binders were bales wrapped in palm leaves. Fillers are Mexican, Dominican and Nicaraguan. They are mild to medium bodied but releases extreme complex flavor. Something you can offer ro your son after six years.
    deejmemixx:
    Today while putzin around with my son making a shelving unit for him to store all his air soft guns and what not, I lit up a stogie and he said "Dad, when I am 18 can I smoke a cigar with you?" My response "Hell ya you can!"

He followed with, "what kind? A room 101?" which made me smile and chuckle and realize he pays more attention than he lets on.

I am now trying to think of a stick that I can buy now, and get two of them and age them until he is of age. He is currently 12, I obviously do not want to get a heavy stick... but I know that mild sticks lose a lot as they age. What stick do you think would be a good one? I do not want to break the bank.... I am thinking it will prolly be a 101 or obsidian..but want some more suggestions....and just wanted to brag a lil bit :D

rzaman:
    Not always the mild cigar loose it's flavor when they are aged. It's true wrapper provides 60% of the taste but binder and fillers are also important. Stradivarius cigar is a great cigar to age which comes with a vintage Connecticut Shsde wrapper. The binders were bales wrapped in palm leaves. Fillers are Mexican, Dominican and Nicaraguan. They are mild to medium bodied but releases extreme complex flavor. Something you can offer ro your son after six years.
    deejmemixx:

thanks for the thoughts!
    bigfnsteve:
    deejmemixx:
    bigfnsteve:
    K
    hmm part of my sentence either deleted or stayed in my head.. that should have read ..... one of those yet, will hvae to get one to try first as they will not last if I have not had one.
    k
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have two years to wait for my first son tp be 18. I am going to give him a 5vegas gold or something really mild, then if he enjoys it, move up in body as he goes along. No sense in knocking him on his **** first time out the gate. lol
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    What about a Padron 64? Its a fantastic stick that would age very well.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Any Padron will age well..from regular thousand series to 1926, 64 and family reserve because they use a lot of bold ligeros. I had a chance to smoke Padron Millenium which was released in 1999. I thought that was the best Padron. My friend who shared that cigar from his private collection told me the taste was finer, more smooth, balanced and superior then 1999. I couldn't verify because that was my first Padron Millenium cigar.
    Goldy:
    What about a Padron 64? Its a fantastic stick that would age very well.
  • Toombes:
    :) same here!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I think if you're gonna age it another 6 years, it would be safe to get a couple My Fathers. That's what I plan on smoking when my boy is 18.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Shane that is awesome brother! I have a few suggestions that I think might do wonderfully for such an event. Room 101 Connie or Namakubi I think would have fantastic aging potential, Padron 1926 Series Natural wrapper, OpusX simply because they need a few years to mellow and really grow into their own and it would be a very special cigar for both of you. Also with that much time I think the Opus would mellow into a solid medium and would treat him really well too. Also, Diamond Corwn's regular line is medium and has brilliant aging potential too! PM me if you have any questions... I might be able to hook you up with 2X of something special for you to lay down untill he is of age bro!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    I think if you're gonna age it another 6 years, it would be safe to get a couple My Fathers. That's what I plan on smoking when my boy is 18.
    Todd that is fantastic man, and might be the best suggestion yet!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."