Home Cigar 101
Options

walk in humidor

I am building a walk in humidor for a client, and need some direction on where and what type of door to use. I obviously need something air tight, but am unsure as to what extent it needs to be sealed. The humidor is going into a bar with quite a bit of traffic in and out, so it needs to be a well made door. thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    here is some food for thought:

http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-accoutrements-college/humidors1.asp

the "building a walk in" is down the page a tiny bit.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I would think the architecture and decor of the bar will set some limits on your choices. That said, a heavy, solid hardwood door seems like a good choice. Something like mahogany. It would help "flavor" the room, and being solid wood, it would breathe. I'd think you'd want to stay away from anything heavily lacquered, painted, etc.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive seen sliding glass doors so people can see in. just use a ton of weather stiping.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Regardless of the decor, I think something in glass would be best and could be blended to match the style of the bar. Go to some of the cigar bars or smoke shops and look at what they have.

Where are you located? Maybe we could give you suggestions of places to visit.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    rdnstn:
    Regardless of the decor, I think something in glass would be best and could be blended to match the style of the bar. Go to some of the cigar bars or smoke shops and look at what they have.

Where are you located? Maybe we could give you suggestions of places to visit.
    I agree Ron. To me one of the main selling points would that it be a display case, so patrons can see the cigars resting, waiting for them.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Also I've noticed the B&Ms I frequent the doors are not air tight.