Home Cigar 101

Emergency humidor preparation?

oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
So, after a massive trade I made this past week, I literally do not have room for any more cigars, and with the black spot, west vs east, and who knows what else coming, I don't know where I am going to put cigars. I don't really have the income to spend on setting up a new coolidor right now, so what is an easy, fast, and cheap way to store my extra sticks?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tupadors.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    easiest.....send them to me, and I'll "store" them for you....lol....i had the same problem, until i went all out on the tower of power 6 ft humidor. now i have room for what looks like YEARS.....
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I will also offer up my services as overflow and long term storage for any brothers here
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Ziploc freezer bags
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Keep them in the Ccom order bags with the humi pillows inside. As space in your humis opens up you can slowly integrate them into general population. After a month or so inside the humi they will be re-acclimated to smoking conditions but they'll be fine in the bags in the meantime.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Boveda packs and tupperware containers. You'll spend about $15 per tupperdor. Each can hold about 50 sticks.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    $3.00 for a food grade bucket - I did it for quite a while before springing for a cooler.
    Holds 150 to 250+ cigars, depending on how many boxes you use.
    Bucketidor movie

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    tupadors.
    i did this once at a temporary thing because there was a huge influx of cigars at one point. now im thinking of converting everything over to plastic.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    bbass2:
    Ziploc freezer bags
    This. A simple water pillow will work (though a Boveda pack would be ideal) and a 1 gallon ziplock will hold about 50 cigars.

Even now, in my cooler, I have about 25 ziplocks being used to store loose sticks by brand. I just leave the bags open in the cooler. Works like a charm and keeps naked sticks safer.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    0patience:
    tupadors.
    i did this once at a temporary thing because there was a huge influx of cigars at one point. now im thinking of converting everything over to plastic.
    I switched to plastic when I got tired of the upkeep on 5 humidors. Haven't looked back. The only way I would go back to spanish cedar humidors is if I had a huge cabinet humidor that used a single active humidification device and a few pounds of beads. No way I would go back to using multiple desktop and chest humidors again. Coolers all the way.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Listen to Kuzi and BigT on this one. I switched over to cheap as can be plastic bins, 64 qt at walmart with snapable lids & i purchased the cheap weatherstripping (size to your liking on thickness & width) to run around the lid. Did it just as overflow, then started storing my favorites in boxes, now all my stash is in boxes in 64 qt tuppadors. I have 2, and its simpler, cheaper & easier to maintain. I never have issues keeping perfect rh, rarely fill my beads with water, and thats opening once a day at least. Its cheaper than a cooler, but a cooler is just as effective.

I'll never go back to wooden humis until I can afford a nice looking 3 to 4000 cabinet for display. Until then my lovelies are resting in plastic. The cedar from the boxes they are stored in provides all the cedar scent, and it buffers humidity, and boxes make it SOOOO much easier to stack & organize (& remember where your sticks are!).
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Listen to Kuzi and BigT on this one. I switched over to cheap as can be plastic bins, 64 qt at walmart with snapable lids & i purchased the cheap weatherstripping (size to your liking on thickness & width) to run around the lid. Did it just as overflow, then started storing my favorites in boxes, now all my stash is in boxes in 64 qt tuppadors. I have 2, and its simpler, cheaper & easier to maintain. I never have issues keeping perfect rh, rarely fill my beads with water, and thats opening once a day at least. Its cheaper than a cooler, but a cooler is just as effective.

I'll never go back to wooden humis until I can afford a nice looking 3 to 4000 cabinet for display. Until then my lovelies are resting in plastic. The cedar from the boxes they are stored in provides all the cedar scent, and it buffers humidity, and boxes make it SOOOO much easier to stack & organize (& remember where your sticks are!).
    ))))))))))))))))))if I got such a size tuppador with currently about 70 cigars, how much cedar do I need. I have two boxes that my mowpa came in. Using boveda packets.