Home Cigar 101

what does this type of wrapper typically mean (if anything)?

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
Lately, I've realized (whether it's just in my head or not) that I really like wrappers that are darker and has an oily sheen to it. I usually get really great creamy, nutty, at times caramel types of flavors. For example, a couple of the Johnny Os had this and it was sublime. Also had a LGC Serie N and I swear, notes of vanilla, caramel, coffee. I know taste is all subjective but just wanted to throw it out there to discuss / gain some clarity. Jiunn

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    It means you're starting to figure out what wrappers and flavor profiles agree with you more than others. If you havent already, here's a suggestion - start a cigar journal. As you're smoking something, do some research on it and write down the info you find. Once thats done, write down your impressions of the cigar (body, flavor profile, how much smoke it put out, how the draw was, etc).

After you do this for a while, when you go back and review the journal, you are likely to see patterns start to form in the cigars you really enjoy. Might be the wrapper, might be what country the cigar was manufactured in or where the filler or wrapper came from, might be the blender or the brand. It really opened my eyes to "hey, this is what I like in a cigar" and took a lot of the guesswork out of buying.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it means that you like a heavier fermentation. this usually brings out a sweeter set of flavors.
    look out for Maduros. Oscuros also have a darker tone but they also tend to be stronger and may or may not be as sweet depending on how they are fermented.

sniper has right idea on keeping a journal. its has helped me more than i can even explain.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Notes of any kind help. After seeing this suggested in so many places I decided to keep the wrapper type labeled in my inventory spreadsheet.

I'm still not great at describing flavors, but I started noticing some sticks I smoked had a dry spicy type flavor that I didn't care for. After a few of these I looked back and noticed they all had corojo wrappers. Actually I do like them now, but at the time I was drinking water with all my smokes and by the time I would be done smoking one of those it would leave a bad aftertaste. Now I drink tea or something with flavor and they are much better.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Maduro can be little too strong for you. If you like darker, creamy, nutty, caramely flavors- you should try more Habano 2000, Criojo 98 wrapper such as Carlos Torano silver, la Aurora Puro Vintage, San Lotano Habano....you will also like Dominican sun grown rosado wrapper such as Ashton VSG.
    jliu:
    Lately, I've realized (whether it's just in my head or not) that I really like wrappers that are darker and has an oily sheen to it. I usually get really great creamy, nutty, at times caramel types of flavors. For example, a couple of the Johnny Os had this and it was sublime. Also had a LGC Serie N and I swear, notes of vanilla, caramel, coffee. I know taste is all subjective but just wanted to throw it out there to discuss / gain some clarity. Jiunn
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Maduro can be little too strong for you.
    given the same leaf, grown in the same field, same priming, same weather, with the only difference being that one leaf undergoes the maduro process, the maduro will not be as strong.

that extra fermentation breaks down more oils.

however, when blenders get their hands on it to make a cigar they tend to blend stronger.

maduro does not necessarily equal strong.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Maduro doesn't release strong nutty flavor rather then more caramel flavor also with more bitterness. True blend has more to do with strength.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    Maduro can be little too strong for you.
    given the same leaf, grown in the same field, same priming, same weather, with the only difference being that one leaf undergoes the maduro process, the maduro will not be as strong.

that extra fermentation breaks down more oils.

however, when blenders get their hands on it to make a cigar they tend to blend stronger.

maduro does not necessarily equal strong.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. One thing I will definitely look into now is keeping a cigar journal. I'm sick of getting random samplers that I know I probably won't smoke. This will be a great way to find out what I have a tendency to gravitate towards. Quite amazing how much knowledge you folks have. Pretty awesome.
    Dont go too far with that there big hitter - once you start keeping your cigar journal, working your way thru those random samplers is one of the things thats gonna help you FIGURE OUT what you dig and dont dig the most.

One other tip for the cigar journal I dont think (?) has been mentioned on this thread - consider taking your cigar bands off and pasting them in your cigar journal with the entries you make. When I was first starting out (and I dont know where you're at in your Great Journey of Cigar Discovery), I found that a lot of times I would have trouble remembering the names of sticks as I went along, but I rarely forgot what the bands looked like of ones I enjoyed.

Its all about figuring out what works best for you. :-)

• I use aan excel spreadsheet journal give me a few minutes I will take some pics and let you see what I do.
  • beginning of my spreadsheetPhotobucketmiddle sectionPhotobucketand the endPhotobucket
  • except for whatever reason those are backwards
    That is friggin AWEOME aeon! Did you make that yourself?

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I take back my comment of "prob not going to smoke the random samplers" I'm going to now do that. And, since I'm in finance and know Excel (not 100% happy to admit that b/c I stare at Excel sheets all the freakin time), I am going to copy Aeon. Good call dude. Tonight, Tat Anarchy gifted to me by Kevin (415). So far, comment will be "I can't type too much right now. Too happy enjoying this smoke"
  • The Sniper:

yes i jot down stuff while im smoking and i always have my blue tooth on or somehting similiar and leave verbal comments. I go back and summarize then fill out the sheet for said cigar. as I smoke more of the same cigar i will insert a comment each time letting myself know if there is any changes or inconsistancies good or bad
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    The Sniper:

yes i jot down stuff while im smoking and i always have my blue tooth on or somehting similiar and leave verbal comments. I go back and summarize then fill out the sheet for said cigar. as I smoke more of the same cigar i will insert a comment each time letting myself know if there is any changes or inconsistancies good or bad
    You're that guy I hated in high school.
    Lol
  • beatnic:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    The Sniper:

You're that guy I hated in high school.
    Lol wtf?
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    The Sniper:

Very cool stuff man! I wish there was a way we could pin this to a thread somehow so you could provide it to our newer members. This would be an INVALUABLE tool to people just getting started in the hobby.

... assuming (yeah I know what that gets me ENFIDEL LOL) you would be willing to share it of course.

Good stuff aeon. I have something similar, but there are some things on that I like better and will update mine. Google Docs works pretty well too if you want to be able to access it from multiple devices.
  • The Sniper:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    The Sniper:

Very cool stuff man! I wish there was a way we could pin this to a thread somehow so you could provide it to our newer members. This would be an INVALUABLE tool to people just getting started in the hobby.

... assuming (yeah I know what that gets me ENFIDEL LOL) you would be willing to share it of course.

No by all means feel free i do not mind at all. obviously this set up works for me but if they were looking for a good "foundation" i feel this could be a great way to start. and ive never used google docs but could see the advantages of having your tablet or droid device for this type thing. Use the pics as you see fit Glenn
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Just gona chime in on previous points about wrapper color. Darker doesn't mean stronger. Take the DPG Black lightish brown corojo but very potent. I would say learn to know your blenders, origin of the tobacco used and even the difference vitola makes this really helped me figure things out.
  • T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    Aeon, thanks for posting these pics. I had a hell of a time finding this thread again to look at the pics to create my own, but damn you made it a heck of a lot easier on me with the different column titles. I am getting better with excel and using the form option from the data drop down has really sped up the entry process. I just wanted to bump this back to the top so that others will stumble across this if they need to create their own too.
  • T.J. Armstrong:
    Aeon, thanks for posting these pics. I had a hell of a time finding this thread again to look at the pics to create my own, but damn you made it a heck of a lot easier on me with the different column titles. I am getting better with excel and using the form option from the data drop down has really sped up the entry process. I just wanted to bump this back to the top so that others will stumble across this if they need to create their own too.
    damn dude I keep forgetting to email you the file! Send me ur email again I promise u will have it tomorrow.

and for future if ANYONE wants a copy of this file I will be more than pleased to send it to you and you can use as you see fit!
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    beginning of my spreadsheetPhotobucketmiddle sectionPhotobucketand the endPhotobucket
    Ok am I missing something? Potato is not listed in any of the descriptions.
  • T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    It's all good. I know there is a ton of *** going on. I just used your pics and created my own with a few little differences. Your screen shots made it really easy. Thanks again!