Home Ratings & Reviews

Fonseca CXX Anniversary

MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
All I have to say about this cigar is WOW!! I can see 2 boxes in my future...one for aging and one for smoking from. I bought a 5er to check them out and don't see them making it to the end of the month

Comments

• chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    MTuccelli:
    All I have to say about this cigar is WOW!! I can see 2 boxes in my future...one for aging and one for smoking from. I bought a 5er to check them out and don't see them making it to the end of the month

yes I hear good things about these what vitola did you smoke?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    So what you're telling me is....smoke the one I got when I can afford to buy a box? Lol...or work another trade when you do mike ;)
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    chemforever:
    MTuccelli:

yes I hear good things about these what vitola did you smoke?
    Vitola was the Robusto and smoke time a little over an hour

catfishbluezz:
    So what you're telling me is....smoke the one I got when I can afford to buy a box? Lol...or work another trade when you do mike ;)
    No you should smoke it now and when I get more I will send you a few, no need for a trade...unless you have at the time any MUWAT lol

So....I smoked mine tonight. This was my third cigar of the day and it followed a La Sirena (excellent) and a No. 9 toro so it had some competition. Had a nice burger before, so the stomach was full but I think the rich meal did not compliment it well...a lighter meal and seafood would have been better.

1st third: flawless construction and burn, immediate nuts, cinnamon, and pepper. The pepper subsided pretty quick, but the best part of this cigar right off the bat....the retrohale. It reminded me of a CC punch I smoked recently in that regard. Cedar became present towards the end.

2nd third: Construction still flawless and ash held until the halfway point. Cedar became the most prominent flavor with leather and the retro became very strong. There was still a hint of nuts, but the leather subsided towards the end of this third and it became very smooth for half of the smoke.

Final third: The cinnamon spice is back, heavy leather, the nuts came back with hints of sweetness and musk. The only bitterness came at the end.

The vitola was the robusto, and it is a fairly large one. I think this smoke would satisfy the experienced smoker. I would not go buy a box, but I am going to buy a 5'er of the corona for sure. The CCX is complex and another fine smoke from Matasa. The best part was the retrohale...I found myself wanting to retro this cigar far more than most I smoke and I would definately compare that part of it to some of the CC's I've smoked. For me, I am new at writing reviews...this cigar motivated me to do so. I see why you like it Mike.
    Spot on review Dustin, I had the same experience with the retrohale too.

MTuccelli:

Thanks Mike. It's funny someone mentioned allergies, because mine have been horrible lately and that might have kept me from fallign in love. I had a ruination the other day that had no taste so i know something is up. The CCX was excellent and I look forward to smoking one in again in the near future.
    catfishbluezz:
    MTuccelli:

Thanks Mike. It's funny someone mentioned allergies, because mine have been horrible lately and that might have kept me from fallign in love. I had a ruination the other day that had no taste so i know something is up. The CCX was excellent and I look forward to smoking one in again in the near future.
    My sinus are kickin' today so I suspect any smoking might be uneventful. When I smoked the CXX I had no allergy issues so I bet when yours clear up the CXX will have a better showing. I am going to burn a Nub Dub and see if my sinus/allergy theory is right....anything for science :o)

MTuccelli:
    catfishbluezz:
    MTuccelli:

My sinus are kickin' today so I suspect any smoking might be uneventful. When I smoked the CXX I had no allergy issues so I bet when yours clear up the CXX will have a better showing. I am going to burn a Nub Dub and see if my sinus/allergy theory is right....anything for science :o)

I really want to try the smaller ring gauge. The fact that I enjoyed it after two amazing smokes on a allergy burnt palate is what compelled me to write about it. I have no doubt with a fresh palate and the right meal it would be even better
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    These sound interesting. Within derailing the convo I have had the same allergy issues for a few weeks now. You can literally see yellowish dusting on all the cars outside from dandelion pollen, etc. Its so bad the past few weeks with pollen & dust that I've stuck to only 2 or 3 cigars a week. Look forward to trying this and the new Partagas.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    When the Orange blossoms were in full swing here just a few weeks ago, my allergies got so bad to where I was stacking zyrtec and advil cold & sinus just to take the edge off. There were more than a few days where no cigars were consumed. I actually came down with a cold during the worst of it and didn't even know because my allergies were so bad.
    Eat lots of local honey....apparently that is the secret to curing them. I've noticed a difference after a good friend recommended it in a few days.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That makes sense, would allow you to build up an immunity since you're essentially eating the pollen. Or maybe it has nothing at all to do with that.
    j0z3r:
    That makes sense, would allow you to build up an immunity since you're essentially eating the pollen. Or maybe it has nothing at all to do with that.
    actuall it does... Living in the valley, it is everywhere. I live a block away from almond trees, 2 blocks from corn and strawberries, and all around farms. My friend has been doing t for two years, and just gets creative. I started putting a teaspoon in my tea, then icing it. I am going to make a vat of iced tea any day and add it then to gauge larger portions. All in all, it makes for a good sweet tea