Home General Discussion

2009 forum blend & 2012 forum blend

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
I thought it would be fun to compare the blend we are creating now in comparison to the blend we made in 2009 (which was available for purchase that August). I dug into my pile of crap I own and found the recipe:

2009 Forum Blend:

Medium body toro

Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatra viso or Brazilian Arapiraca maduro
Binder: Hon. habano Jamastran
Filler(s):
1/3 Nic. habano Ometepe ligero
1/3 Nic. habano Condega viso
1/3 Mex. San Andres seco/viso

*Originally we had voted in Costa Rican maduro seco as 1/3 of the filler. This was later replaced with the Nic. habano Condega viso in order to reduce the amount of exotic leaves, provide a better base for the flavors to balance upon and keep it medium bodied (our goal).

2012 Forum Blend:

Medium/full body toro, torpedo and lancero

Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatra oscuro
Binder: ???????????
Filler(s):
Nic. habano Ometepe
Nic. habano Condega
????????????

Kind of interesting how similarly the two blends are developing. The original forum blend came out really good as I'm sure this one will. Perhaps this comparison will help in the discussion for the rest of the fillers and binder for the new blend.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Thanks for the info; couldn't remember what the 2009 blend was. Now that I look at it, it looks like we're recreating something already in the humi, which kinda annoys me. It'd be better to create something new than just re-do what's already out there
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that,,,Im hoping we cn get some Brazillian in the mix
    The Kid:
    Im hoping we cn get some Brazillian in the mix
    Giggity
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    The Kid:
    Im hoping we cn get some Brazillian in the mix
    Giggity
    LMFAO!

Cameroon
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    xmacro:
    Thanks for the info; couldn't remember what the 2009 blend was. Now that I look at it, it looks like we're recreating something already in the humi, which kinda annoys me. It'd be better to create something new than just re-do what's already out there
    Macro you should know that a simple change of ANY of the different parts of a cigar can change it entirely. This stick doesn't sound like it will be a remake of the first Forum blend. Making something different just for the sake of it may create a monster. The voting system seems to show a lot of similarities in what the BOTL here like and want at the moment. Even if it did turn out like the first batch it would still be a winner but this will be different enough I think.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    laker1963:
    xmacro:
    Macro you should know that a simple change of ANY of the different parts of a cigar can change it entirely. This stick doesn't sound like it will be a remake of the first Forum blend. Making something different just for the sake of it may create a monster. The voting system seems to show a lot of similarities in what the BOTL here like and want at the moment. Even if it did turn out like the first batch it would still be a winner but this will be different enough I think.

What Laker said ...
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...
    Well, here's hoping. I'm sure Alex will make sure it doesn't taste terrible (and if it does, hopefully he'll remake the 2009 blend)
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Who is going to be the manufacturer of this blend this year? AJ?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    xmacro:
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...
    Well, here's hoping. I'm sure Alex will make sure it doesn't taste terrible (and if it does, hopefully he'll remake the 2009 blend)

If Alex could re-create the 2009 forum blend I would be all over the Sumatra as well as the Maduro like white on rice . These 2 blends I would load up on big time . I enjoyed the flavors of both and would love for Alex to resurrect those ( You listning Alex ? ) Maybe for a future project ?!?! I would love to be able to get my hands on some more of these ... I think I have 2 Maduro and 1 or 2 Sumatra left .

I bet I'm not the only one who would be down for ordering some of those old forum blends .
    gmill880:
    xmacro:
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...

If Alex could re-create the 2009 forum blend I would be all over the Sumatra as well as the Maduro like white on rice . These 2 blends I would load up on big time . I enjoyed the flavors of both and would love for Alex to resurrect those ( You listning Alex ? ) Maybe for a future project ?!?! I would love to be able to get my hands on some more of these ... I think I have 2 Maduro and 1 or 2 Sumatra left .

I bet I'm not the only one who would be down for ordering some of those old forum blends .
    LOL, What Gmill said. Well, except for that part about still having some of either of these sticks left. Gene where do you get THAT kind of strength? Alex if you could make this happen that would be incredible. Maybe we could have the forum blends become a yearly thing and if the ingredients are available they could be made, always available. I know I would be dropping some serious $$$ on these.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    I think so...
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    bigharpoon:
    scarlin:
    I think so...

sweet
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    xmacro:
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...

LOL, What Gmill said. Well, except for that part about still having some of either of these sticks left. Gene where do you get THAT kind of strength? Alex if you could make this happen that would be incredible. Maybe we could have the forum blends become a yearly thing and if the ingredients are available they could be made, always available. I know I would be dropping some serious $$$ on these.
    I wish Alex would say something about the 2009 blend being made available again; I'm not sure if people are trying to vote for a new cigar, or just trying to remake the 2009 blend in this new 2012 voting. Either way, the two are eerily similar the way the voting is trending.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    xmacro:
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    xmacro:
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...

I wish Alex would say something about the 2009 blend being made available again; I'm not sure if people are trying to vote for a new cigar, or just trying to remake the 2009 blend in this new 2012 voting. Either way, the two are eerily similar the way the voting is trending.
    I'd bet the third leaf is going to be copan, with a cameroon or brazillian binder - that would be a significant departure from the 2009 blend.
    JDH:
    xmacro:
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    xmacro:
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...

I'd bet the third leaf is going to be copan, with a cameroon or brazillian binder - that would be a significant departure from the 2009 blend.
    I could live with that; I'm just not sure why so many people are so keen to re-create something they've already made :/
    xmacro:
    JDH:
    xmacro:
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    xmacro:
    gmill880:
    laker1963:
    xmacro:

What Laker said ...

I could live with that; I'm just not sure why so many people are so keen to re-create something they've already made :/
    Are you still banging that drum Macro? This cigar will NOT be a copy of the first blend. People are choosing the leafs according to what they like to smoke. What better way is there?
    bump for reference
    This should be mandated reading as well:
    Alex Svenson:
    As I write this I am about a halfway through a bottle of Basel Haden so that is my disclaimer LOL. I had a hard day or working on some new tobacco and am enjoying a relaxing day with a few industry buddies. We are well on our way to greatness and your question is a great one. I must say that the wrapper selection alone by our group of seasoned aficionados here on the forum has set us up for huge success but now, as you guys have pointed out, it comes down to the details and details in blending are what it is all about. Unlike years past, I am taking a bit more control in the blending. That said, while the group is picking fillers, I am going to tweak the proportions of what is used and primings to achieve the desired result. Much like our community here has grown over the years, so have I and our team and our goal is to make our forum concoction something much greater. I even have such master blenders as AJ Fernandez and Nestor Plasencia consulting on our blend to help with primings and proportions to meet our expectations. That said, there are no guarantees but this time, I want to make sure we are as well positioned for greatness as we can be. I am even enlisting the help of Ramon Bueso who is a master blender you will no doubt be hearing a great deal about in the months to come.

If you are asking for my humble opinion, it is that far too many people entering the blending arena get excited by unique or more exotic tobaccos and I hope it is something our community avoids. When we set out on our mission, I was so excited by the selection of Sumatra Ecaudor wrapper, especially high priming, that I could barrel contain myself. However, once I saw us drift into Ometepe filler, I started to grow concerned. So much of todays most unique tobacco is so exotic that while exciting, can be so overpowering that it can consume a blend in a one dimensional manner. Once we settled on condega for the next filler my hopes were renewed for complete success. I feared too many had bought into a marketing hype that is all too prevalent in our industry. I want to see how filler 3 shakes out, but i am confident that from here we can make a fantastic cigar.

Cameroon binder or other sweet tobaccos are a possibility at this point but largely depends on where the last filler weighs in. For me, binder is best reserved for last. It is that pinch of salt that you add at the last minute that brings a cigar to its full fruition. So, you have asked me a bit of a loaded question. Our cigar now as it stands is an execellently complex, dry and full flavored smoke with everything from cedar to earthiness in the spectrum. I can't possible suggest an ideal binder until I know how the last filler shakes out. That said, knowing where we are now, I would not suggest something as radical as cameroon or Brazil. At this point, my sights would be dead set on Copan, Esteli or Jalapa. Once the decision was made for Ometepe as the first filler I knew we needed a core Cuban seed as a binder to round out what can be a very intense flavor such as that of ometepe.

As always, the decision will rest in the hand of our members, but I can tell you when working with a core strength of earth tones and habano flavor, deviating into exotic territory cab be the fastest way to kill a blend. Cameroon and Brazil are both still on the table for certain but I can't say for certain until final votes are in on the last filler. Asking a chef what his hint of salt will be before the recipe is done is damn near impossible.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    2009 Forum Blend:

Medium body toro

Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatra viso or Brazilian Arapiraca maduro
    Binder: Hon. habano Jamastran
    Filler(s):
    1/3 Nic. habano Ometepe ligero
    1/3 Nic. habano Condega viso
    1/3 Mex. San Andres seco/viso

Not sure I understand. If it ends up like this, how is it the same?;

Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatra oscuro
    Binder:Cameroon or Brazillian
    Filler(s):
    Nic. habano Ometepe
    Nic. habano Condega
    Hon. habano Copan (looks like the winner)
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    It won't be the same. When I first posted this thread only the wrapper and first two fillers were chosen. At that point they were very similar blends. Now they have really diverged. I'm looking forward to the binder selection.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this as well. I still have one each of the 09 forum blend.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Haven't forgotten about second blend. Had to put it on hold for some other issues that have consumed my attention. All we have to do is pick a binder. I'm in Nicaragua and we can resume voting next week. My apologies.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I'm looking forward to this as well. I still have one each of the 09 forum blend.
    Me too, can't bring myself to fire either one up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    ok... i will have to do a review of each of these very soon.
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    You have one of each left as well, kuz?
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    3 of each
    I have three of each left as well. They're sitting in my special occasion humidor. I think I'll burn one of each this fall and then wait at least a year or two before having another.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    3 of each
    WTH ... So in 3 years you've managed to smoke 2 of each. For most people this would mean they didn't like them. With you it could mean anything.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    3 of each
    WTH ... So in 3 years you've managed to smoke 2 of each. For most people this would mean they didn't like them. With you it could mean anything.
    it mostly means they were in the bottom of the humidor forever and i forgot about em.