Home Ratings & Reviews

Kent1146: Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro

Cigar Name:  Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Work of Art Maduro
Cigar Size:  4.9” x 46-60 ring
Wrapper:  Maduro
Accompanying Drink:  Yuengling Lager

Pre-Light:  It is impossible to look at this cigar without immediately noticing the incredible craftsmanship that goes into its perfecto shape.  Starts off with a very narrow nipple at the foot, then quickly widens to a 60-ring size, slowly tapering down to the 46-ring size near the head of the cigar.  The dark cocoa-colored maduro wrapper has some beautiful tooth to it, and has a very nice oily coating to it.  During the pre-light draw, I detected some hints of cocoa and cream flavors.

First 1/2: Initial draw was tight, due to the “nipple” shape of the tip.  Once the tip was burned, draw and flavors opened up dramatically.  I immediately recognized the rich, complex flavors of chocolate, cedar, cream in this Hemingway cigar.  After a few puffs, I began detecting the distinctive sweetness and earthy rich mushroom flavor of the maduro wrapper.  As the cigar progressed, the flavors of the chocolate and cream seemed to dance with the earthy maduro wrapper, with hints of cinnamon and vanilla arising as well.  The burn was absolutely perfect, somehow correcting itself after a slightly irregular burn once past the “nipple” of the perfecto shape.  The cigar gave out medium-to-high amounts of rich and aromatic smoke.  

Second 1/2:  The flavor profile of the cigar remains the same complex mix of chocolate, cream, cedar, and earthiness, with a touch of sweetness and a subtle hint of vanilla and cinnamon.  The ash remained long and white for the entire first half of the cigar, and was released at 1.75” with a slight tap.  As the cigar neared its end, the flavors never became too harsh, nor did the smoke become too hot.  The flavors seemed to “warm”, as if giving a slightly different texture as the smoke temperature increased.  

The closest analogy that I have would be chocolate chip cookies.  They have the same base flavors whether you eat the cookie cold or warm, but warm chocolate chip cookies add a different texture that frames the flavors you taste in a completely different way.

Overall impressions:  This cigar is a great 30min to 40min smoke.  I have always been impressed by Arturo Fuente Hemingways, and the Work of Art Maduro has earned all of the praise that I have heard.  Excellent construction and burn throughout, with a very well crafted blend of flavor profiles.  The only reason I put this cigar down was because I had smoked it all the way down to the nub, and started to burn my fingers a bit if I kept smoking (BTW, my slightly-burnt fingers had an aroma of toasted pine nuts).

I would rate this cigar a 9.0/10.  The price ($7.35/stick) and rarity of the Work of Art Maduro, compared to the length of the smoke (35 minutes for me) lowers its score slightly.  Overall excellent smoke, very enjoyable, and highly recommended as the cigar to reach for when you want a premium smoking experience in a short amount of time.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nice review Kent.. now this cigar will be impossible to find.. SOLD OUT !!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sounds about right, been a while since I had one. Might have to crack one open for the weekend.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    sounds about right, been a while since I had one. Might have to crack one open for the weekend.
    I only have a couple, so I better re-stock soon..
    well if memory serves, they seem to surface around Xmas time.
    hAVING ONE right now, man these are good. I need to find a box, but everyone seems to be out..... =(