Home Cigar 101

Do you need to wipe down?

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
I didn't wipe down my humidor when setting it up. I did put a dish of water, one rectangular humidifier and 2 rounds for 4 days. I checked it after 3 and it was at 80RH. Should that be enough or should I redo it? I did calibrate my Hygro and it is staying at 70 RH stable.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd never recommend wiping down myself. Seasoning properly takes time and shortcuts can lead to issues down the road, such as moisture being pulled from the cigars. But to answer your question, it seems you've taken the right approach and are getting a good result. Might not hurt to give it another day or two just to be sure, but other than that I think you're set.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I didn't want to take a chance on warping, so no.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    I didn't want to take a chance on warping, so no.
    +1
    Money can't buy taste
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Mine has settled down to 80%, and I am going to give it one more day to see what it does, if it stays the same I will remove the dish and place my smokes in and watch it from there.
  • I normally wipe up and down just to be safe.... oh! Humidor! Ya uhm I normally just use a shot glass and seasoning packs.... akward
  • I just fill up a small piece of tupperware with water, put it in the humidor until the tupperware is empty, and I'm done. A shotglass is fine too, but I'm always a little worried that it'll tip over.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    Mine has settled down to 80%, and I am going to give it one more day to see what it does, if it stays the same I will remove the dish and place my smokes in and watch it from there.
    Don't forget to keep a watchful eye on it after you remove the standing water. The hygro is reading the humidity in the air. Even though that is 80 right now it doesn't mean that your wood is too. It takes a while for wood to absorb moisture. As far as I'm concerned you can't be too patient.
    Very true, just figured since it dropped from 83 to 80 over a day, it was getting close. I am a little in a hurry just because some of the sticks I got the other day are a little on the dry side. (18 days travel) But I definately do not want to ruin anything.
    marineatbn03:
    Very true, just figured since it dropped from 83 to 80 over a day, it was getting close. I am a little in a hurry just because some of the sticks I got the other day are a little on the dry side. (18 days travel) But I definately do not want to ruin anything.
    Did they come in a bag with a humi pillow? Keep them in there and they'll be fine. If not put them in a freezer zip-lock bag and put them in the freezer, also fine.
    They came with a small Boveda packet, but I am not sure it is working anymore. I do not have access to a freezer, so right now they are all in my 15ct herf-a-dor with the water soaked humi device. And I have some in a cooler with a damp sponge. I am living pre-historic I know.
    They are probably doing fine, possibly getting TOO MOIST. Make sure they aren't swelling and getting fat around the foot.
    I am keeping a close eye on them. Just ready to let them jump into the humidor where I know they will be fine.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I wipe...once, very lightly...and I mean light. I've found using a sponge inside on a plate for 7 days is ideal.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I very much enjoy using Cottonelle wipes. I still feel every bit manly when I use these on a daily basis. Bye
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    I very much enjoy using Cottonelle wipes. I still feel every bit manly when I use these on a daily basis. Bye
    Lysol wipes>cottonelle bro...
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    Lysol wipes>cottonelle bro...
    dude, OUCH. you kray kray
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you did it right. I noticed you said you calibrated your hygrometer and it was steady at 70. Did you use a boveda calibration pack or salt test? Salt test should have been at 75%. If it wasn't then your hygrometer is off by 5%.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Sounds like you did it right. I noticed you said you calibrated your hygrometer and it was steady at 70. Did you use a boveda calibration pack or salt test? Salt test should have been at 75%. If it wasn't then your hygrometer is off by 5%.

I used a Boveda 84 to calibrate. I popped em in for 30 hours and the digital was at 83 and the analog I set and rechecked. All is good now. Humi #1 is right at 72RH and I have a 72RH jar in there and the one I didnt wipe down is at 70RH with a 72RH jar. I have been watching them like a hawk.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    jliu:
    I guess with your gender preference, one cannot be too clean. I applaud the fact that you are open about it with this crowd. You should not be ashamed. It does not make you any less of a man.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I always wipe down with a damn microfiber towel... always picks up sooooooo much dirt, dust and wood fibers its nuts. You dont risk warping unless you spill a ton of water in there and let it sit and swell.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I wipe...once, very lightly...and I mean light. I've found using a sponge inside on a plate for 7 days is ideal.
    that's a good idea never thought of that.