Home Cigar 101

Another boveda question

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
So, my humi is all settled and stuff. But it settled lower than I had expected. Not a problem at all as it is 65% rh exactly. I'm happy with that. It surprises me, though, because I have the 75% boveda packs in there (they are all I had on hand at the time and I've not had the chance to get some lower ones yet). My question is this: if I put lower packs in there, will that bring the rh down in the humidor or since it's settled at 65%, would putting in a 69 or 72 Boveda pack just prevent it from going up too much or what?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how many packs are in there? maybe you need more.

get several at the RH you want. never hurts to have more.
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    kuzi16:
    how many packs are in there? maybe you need more.

get several at the RH you want. never hurts to have more.
    I have 2 in there right now. When I get different ones, would more than 2 be a good idea?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont see how it could hurt.
    im not a fan of boveda packs. they seem to do others well, but for some reason they never sat right with me.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I used boveda packs in my cooler and every 3 months just check them to make sure they arent hard. After a little time for acclamation, the rh was spot on the boveda pack (checked with 2 different digital hygros.)

Do you have enough room for airflow?
    Trident:
    iDo you have enough room for airflow?
    i'd never thought of that. I have a 50 count with a divider and, unintentionally, stuff is more concentrated on one side than the other. When i get home from work i'll smooth it out and see what happens. That just might be my issue.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    JZerby:
    So, my humi is all settled and stuff. But it settled lower than I had expected. Not a problem at all as it is 65% rh exactly. I'm happy with that. It surprises me, though, because I have the 75% boveda packs in there (they are all I had on hand at the time and I've not had the chance to get some lower ones yet). My question is this: if I put lower packs in there, will that bring the rh down in the humidor or since it's settled at 65%, would putting in a 69 or 72 Boveda pack just prevent it from going up too much or what?
    I used to use these. Great idea but, kind of a pain (and it gets expensive). Do yourself a favor and get beads.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm going to ask the two most obvious questions that I didn't see posted...

Are you using a digital hygrometer, and is it calibrated?

Did you check the seal on the humidor?

While 65% is completely acceptable, there is no good reason why you should be that low with 75% packs. I have 69% packs in my 100 ct aging humidor and it is sitting a solid 66-67%.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    You should reach out to Boveda (or whomever you purchased the packs from.) I had a similar issue about 9 months ago and found out from the rep at Boveda that they mislabeled the batch. They sent out replacements with some extras for the trouble.
    kevin1323:
    You should reach out to Boveda (or whomever you purchased the packs from.) I had a similar issue about 9 months ago and found out from the rep at Boveda that they mislabeled the batch. They sent out replacements with some extras for the trouble.
    it actually turned out to be the airflow issue mentioned above. I removed the divider and evened out the cigars through the humi and the rh has started slowly rising. Thanks for all the help guys!
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    when your Boveda packs get hard, place them in higher humidity (70-75), they will recharge themselves. I use them for travel and after they got hard as a rock, i placed them next to my moist n aire and are as new again.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    FYI....after reading this, I put my old ones in a ziploc with a dish of distiller wAter and they almost fully recharged overnight...
    Yup, works all the time, they can last up to a year! I keep them in my tower humidor on the bottom (next to the humidity source) 24/7 untill i have to use them for travel.
    catfishbluezz:
    FYI....after reading this, I put my old ones in a ziploc with a dish of distiller wAter and they almost fully recharged overnight...
    Yup, works all the time, i keep them on the bottom of my tower 24/7 recharching untill i have to use them.
    AQUADGIO1200:
    when your Boveda packs get hard, place them in higher humidity (70-75), they will recharge themselves.
    I did not know that! Sweet action!
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    AQUADGIO1200:
    when your Boveda packs get hard, place them in higher humidity (70-75), they will recharge themselves. I use them for travel and after they got hard as a rock, i placed them next to my moist n aire and are as new again.
    Why didn't I think of that before!?!?!? Thanks for the intel. That is a big saver!
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Did that to the one I use in my 15ct herf-a-dor, worked like a charm
    I am still suck at 68 - 70% with those 75% packs. They were in one of those cedar holders that they sell for them (I took them out this morning and just set them in there). It looks nice and everything, but could that thing be interfering with the moisture reaching the rest of the box? I seasoned the humi with this inside, but I was just wondering if this could be part of the problem as well. Not sure if I said it, but I've checked the seals and I even recalibrated my hygrometers (I am using both analog and digital, which are within 2% of each other). I smoked one of the cigars the other night, and they taste just fine, so I am not worried yet. I am also switching to gel, at the suggestion of others multiple times. So now I am just asking about the holder for my own curiosity.
  • gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    Is it ok if the packs are touching your cigars?
  • lukemcklukemck Posts: 45
    Yes
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Ok...so I tried this-pack has been in a sealed baggie with a dish of distilled water (at least 6 oz.) for 48 hours and...nothing. Still hard and flat-what am I missing?
    My situation is pretty much the same as the OP.. I have a 50 ct with two 72% packs in it but the humidity remains pretty constant at 65%.. I took out my divider as well, it was sitting around 63% before I did that..

lukemck:
    My situation is pretty much the same as the OP.. I have a 50 ct with two 72% packs in it but the humidity remains pretty constant at 65%.. I took out my divider as well, it was sitting around 63% before I did that..

I am wondering if it has to do with how full/empty the box is. I had less than 20 in there when I made the post originally. Now I have 30 in there. I recall on another post I had made about a drop in rh after I added cigars and someone commented that is was harder to maintain humidity when the box was less than half full. So I am wondering if this could be part of it if not the whole issue.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    lukemck:

Assuming you seasoned correctly, and the hygro is right, it's all that empty space. Only one solution.... fill 'er up!
    It looked like this a couple weeks ago and it was reading 63 pretty consistently.. The hygro has been calibrated twice, it rests perfect at 75 in the boveda calibration kit..

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    lukemck:
    It looked like this a couple weeks ago and it was reading 63 pretty consistently.. The hygro has been calibrated twice, it rests perfect at 75 in the boveda calibration kit..

I'd check the seal then. Did you have a bunch of new sticks added at once? Other than that, I'd just watch it for a bit, and see if it comes up over time, or after a packet change out. Boveda did have a few packs mis-marked a while ago. You might have some of those. 63-65 isn't bad to be at, so it's not a huge issue, but I'm sure you'd like to know why it's low.
    The 15 1844s/La Auroras/Virtues were all added at the same time pretty recently and the Uzis weren't in there for very long prior to that.. That could certainly be the issue as well.. I'll keep checking.. I'm fine with 65%, i'd just prefer it be that way when I have 65% packs in there and not 72
    lukemck:
    The 15 1844s/La Auroras/Virtues were all added at the same time pretty recently and the Uzis weren't in there for very long prior to that.. That could certainly be the issue as well.. I'll keep checking.. I'm fine with 65%, i'd just prefer it be that way when I have 65% packs in there and not 72
    I feel the same way. I'm okay with the range I'm in, but it would be nice if that range were in conjunction with what I have in there.
    gripnrip:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ok...so I tried this-pack has been in a sealed baggie with a dish of distilled water (at least 6 oz.) for 48 hours and...nothing. Still hard and flat-what am I missing?
    Keep them longer, poss 3-4 days. Mine recharge fast 1-2 days at the most, since i have them next to a moist n aire that is constantly cycling humidity to my tower humi. It will work though, just give it some time.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    ok how do you use the Boveda packs? I got a 10 each from CC.com the little square packs do I just put them in the humi? and how do I keep the other I have they came in a zip lock bag
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    ok how do you use the Boveda packs? I got a 10 each from CC.com the little square packs do I just put them in the humi? and how do I keep the other I have they came in a zip lock bag
    I recommend keeping them in a small sealed jar or a ziplock bag that seals well. I would not recommend you use the zippered ziplocks that ccom sends loose cigars in. Those are ok for short term storage but you want a great seal in order to preserve your bovedas.