Home Cigar 101

Lots of questions regarding a cabinet I may have bought..

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So I may have bought a 3000 capacity cabinet today.. With that being said I need help with the humidification and seasoning aspect of it.

1) It has an outlet in it so what is a good electronic humidifier and I need one that can last extremely long between refills

2) What is the proper way to season a cabinet?

3) It is going in an unfinished basement (best temp and no space) and I am worried about mold. Should I run a dehumidifier outside the cabinet?

Any other things I should know would be awesome as well. Thanks guys!

Comments

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Holy jebus brother, congrats!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    So I may have bought a 3000 capacity cabinet today..
    You aren't sure? LOL!
    Nice! I'm hoping the deal on the one I want goes through.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    1: Check out one called Moist'n Aire. I'd also add at least 2 lbs of beads to help regulate rh% and you may consider a couple auxiliary fans to help with air movement.

2: Once you've acquired the active humidification system of your choosing, set it up in the empty cabinet and let it run for a good while. I've never seasoned a cabinet, but if I were to get one I would probably season it for at least 10-14 days.

3: Can't help you there. Might be a wait and see situation. If you develop a problem caused by a high ambient humidity, then a dehumidifier might be the answer.

Hope that helps. One disclaimer, as I mentioned, is that I don't have experience with a cabinet, but the same rules that apply to a humidor should apply to a cabinet.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Don't have any input but I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'm moving to a new house and it also has an unfinished basement that I'm fixing into my man-cave. All cement walls and floor just no drywall. I have the same thoughts, but I do currently have a dehumidifier running just to keep the ambient around 50-60. Set that up a week before we move in. What I was thinking was if you are getting humidity in the 70 plus down there I would worry a bit, considering there is a small amount of air exchange with wood humis. I'm probably going to buy a non-working fridge and convert to humidor just because of the tight seal, to avoid worrying about high outside humidity. Time will tell...
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    So an electronic humidifier + beads then? What rh would be the best?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Your concerns with mold are only if the rh and temp. INSIDE the humi get too high or if there is mold already in the basement and the spores go into the humi when you open the door. If the basement doesn't have mold then you should be fine as long as your humi is in rh/temp range. Putting it in a moist basement will probably just mean your humidification device needs to work harder than normal and may not be able to go long periods of time without checking on it. I like 65% beads best.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I have the tower of power humidor rated at 3500 cigars. I use a hydra XL humidification system, 2 extra fans, one runs constantly and one comes on when the humidification system comes on. I also have a pound of beads ordered. I have three digital hygrometers, one in each section in the top area and they all are rock solid at 69 degrees and 68% humidity
    Rail Jockey:
    I have the tower of power humidor rated at 3500 cigars. I use a hydra XL humidification system, 2 extra fans, one runs constantly and one comes on when the humidification system comes on. I also have a pound of beads ordered. I have three digital hygrometers, one in each section in the top area and they all are rock solid at 69 degrees and 68% humidity
    How long between refills for your hydra?
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    About 2.5 to 3 weeks. But i just got it and have opened it a lot more than i should. I would bet it will go 3.5 to 4 weeks if i woukd stay out of there.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you want to hide a nice humi like that in the basement?
    Rhamlin:
    Why would you want to hide a nice humi like that in the basement?
    There isn't much space and the room it would match gets very hot with the afternoon sunlight. I'd rather keep it there for now especially since it wont be set up for a monthish.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    My cabinet is smaller than that one. Mine is about 12 cubic feet. I have a Moist-n-Aire in the bottom and 2# of beads in the top. I keep it at 69* and 69rh. I seasoned mine for a week. The humidity really stabillized when I put cigars in. I rarely hear the Moist-n-Aire come on. I refill it every 5-6 weeks. Air circulation is very important. My shelves are slats of Spanish Cedar. Never close off a shelf. Mine holds about 1500 cigars.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    So I may have bought a 3000 capacity cabinet today.. With that being said I need help with the humidification and seasoning aspect of it.

1) It has an outlet in it so what is a good electronic humidifier and I need one that can last extremely long between refills

2) What is the proper way to season a cabinet?

3) It is going in an unfinished basement (best temp and no space) and I am worried about mold. Should I run a dehumidifier outside the cabinet?

Any other things I should know would be awesome as well. Thanks guys!

So sick Spencer, way happy for you man you deserve nothing but great things and it looks like you're solidly on top of that ;) Can't wait to see pics uploaded adn to hear what you are going to do with your other humis... switching it to aging humi status or what?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    Well done. I have the same humidor and I love it! Still not enough room though! Use an electric system and fans. I don't use beads in mine, just circulate the air. I use the cigar oasis ll XL and check it twice a month or so. You will love this thing.
    Got an humidifier picked out and bought. Anyone know why Heartfelt is closed for another 3 weeks?
    Just an update (and double post) that the A/C circuit flipped today so inside was 78 F and the basement was the only cool place..My 3 humis unfortunately saw that spike and are now in the basement cooling down. Picked out a humidifier which was a custom one that is being put together right now and I ordered 2.5lbs of 65% beads. Should I change the order to 70% or more beads? Right now it has a bowl of water in it getting a jump on seasoning as the "shot glass" a recommended in the instructions seemed..small..
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Bump for an update???