Home Cigar 101

inconsistent flavor question

I keep my cigars in a 60 stick humidor and am having trouble with consistent flavor. I can have an amazing smoke, and then a few days later, it tastes horrible, all the flavor that was there is gone and bitter. Could this be a humidity related problem?  I want every one to be amazing but am frustrated in wasting cigars that could be good, but taste horrible.
any input on what im doing wrong is appreciated.

Comments

• NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    Are you smoking them fast?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Obvious question in my mind...are we talking about the same cigar, brand and size?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Obvious question in my mind...are we talking about the same cigar, brand and size?
    Better yet...this isn't the same cigar, is it? Like, you smoked half of it and came back a couple days later?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the rh in your humidor?
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i am going to assume that it is the same brand and size.
    there are factors beyond the blend, size shape and humidity in the humidor that can effect the flavor.
    did you have different beverages for each cigar?
    different times of the day?
    different lunch before the cigar?
    heck, different weather? all of this could change it.
  • utubeplayautubeplaya Posts: 5
    nope, take my time smoking them, all cigars are from same box i am referring to.
    Ken Light:
    j0z3r:
    Better yet...this isn't the same cigar, is it? Like, you smoked half of it and came back a couple days later?

no, never try saving one
    kuzi16:
    there are factors beyond the blend, size shape and humidity in the humidor that can effect the flavor.

yes i understand some differences can be chocked up to those factors but this is a very dramatic difference, once very tasty cigar type can taste nasty.
    so are you saying you have no control over how your cigars taste and you too are having this issue?
    Lee.mcglynn:

I have tried to keep humidity at 65-70 constant but over a years time, have fluctuated it a bit not beyond 60-75.
    is the horrible bitter taste due to my inconsistent humidity? if so thats great news, now just need to keep it to a good level all the time and every cigar will be amazing every time? Im dont know if a couple percent makes a dramatic difference on taste or not
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    utubeplaya:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I have tried to keep humidity at 65-70 constant but over a years time, have fluctuated it a bit not beyond 60-75.
    is the horrible bitter taste due to my inconsistent humidity? if so thats great news, now just need to keep it to a good level all the time and every cigar will be amazing every time? Im dont know if a couple percent makes a dramatic difference on taste or not
    I know a lot of b&M's keep the sticks at a constant 72rh if your humidor fluctuates a lot it's just not a good thing! I'm assuming that you don't have any flavored sticks in with normal ones. But depending on the stick it could just want a certain rh. If you like the stick from the b&M keep your rh at 72 and in a collee climate to prevent mold. Rh can and will effect flavor so your just gonna have to play around with what suits you. I have 2 humidors a wineador and a tupperador, all are at different rh. Like I said some sticks like different rh and it's really on preference.
    Money can't buy taste
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    What are you lighting it with? Do you take Lunesta or Ambien? As stated before, it could be the ph in your mouth. Try timing how long it takes to get through the first third of the stick. That might be helpful.
    utubeplaya:
    kuzi16:

yes i understand some differences can be chocked up to those factors but this is a very dramatic difference, once very tasty cigar type can taste nasty.
    so are you saying you have no control over how your cigars taste and you too are having this issue?
    no. you have full control over your mouth.
    if you drink something that will bring your pH closer to 7 (neutral) a little before you smoke, you can keep it consistent.
    i also make sure to be well hydrated. if you cant produce saliva you will not be able to taste as well.
    my usual cigar "routine" is to eat a meal that includes something acidic near the end of the meal like an orange, wait about 30 minutes then drink a bit of water to cleanse the palate.

i control the pH of my mouth.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious about what brand/blend you're smoking. This isn't the norm, but there are a few blends (in my opinion) that are inconsistent with flavor from stick to stick.

One such example is the Arturo Fuente Curly Head. Flavors always seem different (some can be decent, others are ho-hum or bad), but as I understand, that's because of how they're made. Another example is the Nica Libre (in my opinion at least). I've never had a bad Nica Libre, but the flavors always seem different.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    my usual cigar "routine" is to eat a meal that includes something acidic near the end of the meal like an orange, wait about 30 minutes then drink a bit of water to cleanse the palate.

Hot Dawg! That may be why I prefer weak lemonade with a smoke. That right there may be the thing. I nominate Professor Kuzi for Cigar Czar.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    kuzi16:

Hot Dawg! That may be why I prefer weak lemonade with a smoke. That right there may be the thing. I nominate Professor Kuzi for Cigar Czar.
    exact same reason why coffee goes well with cigars. coffee is acidic and cigars are alkaline. the contrasting flavors makes you taste each better.