Home Cigar 101

Different diameter and sizes

CwizCwiz Posts: 12
I'm having trouble choosing between Corona, Toro, etc simply because I really don't know the differences and benefits for different sizes. After reading around, it seems that the vibe is not only personal preference, but also the aging process.

What do you guys do to gauge your favorite size? Any other benefits?

Thanks,

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    It has to do with personal preference, but it has more to do with the wrapper/filler ratio. Smaller ring-gauge, more wrapper, less filler. Conversely, larger ring-gauge, more filler. It definitely affects not only the flavor profile, but the body and complexity.

Experimentation is the key. Smoke a few different vitolas within the same blend. Find out what you prefer. A lot of it may be time-driven.

Example: summers here hover around 128 degrees. Even in the mornings, I can't/won't sit out smoking for an extended time period, so I gravitate towards Coronas and Robustos.

Bottom line, smoke what you like-like what you smoke.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cwiz:
    I'm having trouble choosing between Corona, Toro, etc simply because I really don't know the differences and benefits for different sizes. After reading around, it seems that the vibe is not only personal preference, but also the aging process.

What do you guys do to gauge your favorite size? Any other benefits?

Thanks,
    if you read through my blending 101 thread (mainly the the second page) you can see how ring gauge and length effect the flavor.

as far as my favoritegoes...
    ive been on a real lonesdale kick as of late. before that i was really into perfectos. before that i was into toros.
    my favorites change like the winds.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely personal preference, but as Steve and Kuzi said - different sizes can affect the flavor and it also depends on how much time you will have to smoke.

Personally I lean towards robustos and coronas...
    I normally don't have a couple hours that I can dedicate to a larger cigar and I do not like to put out a good cigar halfway through....so I probably smoke the smaller sizes about 2/3 of the time and larger sizes the other 1/3.
    With that being said - there are some blends I absolutely love in the larger sizes and I keep them on hand for the occasions when I can dedicate a couple hours to smoking.

If you only have a 1/2 hour to smoke then a churchill/toro would not be a wise choice....but if you have a couple hours to kill then grab a big cigar if you prefer.

My $0.02 - experiment with it - grab a few different vitolas of the same blend and take notes while smoking and try to compare them.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    jgibv:
    My $0.02 - experiment with it - grab a few different vitolas of the same blend and take notes while smoking and try to compare them.
    This, my size preferences are all over the charts just due to the flavor profiles that differ with the different sizes. Like in the Est. 1844 i like the No. 52, in the 5 Vegas Classis i like the double corona (although i'd bet the panatela size would be good too...), and in the AJ Fernandez' Fresh-Rolled i like the corona.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    It mostly depends on 2 things for me the blend and how much time I have. Others have covered the wrapper to filler ratio already. Now keep in mind RG is what matters more than weather it's a toro or robusto etc. A toro could be 6x50 or 6x54 etc which makes a difference. I tend to love cigars 7x48 myself. I prefer 48-52 RG and usually nothing bigger than a 54. Again though different blends vary for what vitola I like best.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    What everyone else said here but, also I find you have to be more "careful" how you smoke the smaller ring guage vitolas. They can heat up very quickly if you're not used to smoking them with a little care. i.e. too fast.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Good advice here, the only thing I'd add (and I'm sure it's in the thread Kuzi pointed to) is that blenders will very often tweak the blend to optimize it for certain vitolas. When this is the case, it's not necessarily a simple wrapper to filler ratio. Also there might be wrappers that you want to accentuate more or less than other based on your personal tastes.

The good news is that all this means is that lots of experimenting is in order. The best advice always comes down to 1 of 2 things: buy more cigars or smoke more cigars!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I very but my preference is nothing bigger then a 48 ring. However, when smoking a mild-mid. bodied cigar I like to move it up but still nothing over a 54. That is just my own preference. I used to love the 60 ring sizes but I have moved away from them. All the above advice it accurate just thought I would throw in my preference too.
    Best,
  • CwizCwiz Posts: 12
    Excellent advice, especially with the heating up on the smaller ring gauges.

Thanks a bunch guys!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It all depends on if you're feeling a little like Clint Eastwood, or Winston Churchill.