Home Cigar 101

Ring gauge of box-pressed

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Anyone know how they are measured? Wide side, narrow side, diagonal? Just curious.

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    This ones easy - whatever the ring gauge would normally be (ie: 50 ring gauge for a robusto), you just throw a ^2 behind it and VOILA! Box pressed ring gauge. :-D

I AM A COMEDY GOD!

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Is that 2 you mentioned plus or minus? If you put a round ring on it, the measurement would be across the diagonal. I read that there is actually less tobacco in a box-pressed of the same ring gauge than there is in a circular stick?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if i am not mistaken, it is the ring from before it is pressed.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Is that 2 you mentioned plus or minus? If you put a round ring on it, the measurement would be across the diagonal. I read that there is actually less tobacco in a box-pressed of the same ring gauge than there is in a circular stick?
    I just read that same thing I think in the last newsletter.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    This ones easy - whatever the ring gauge would normally be (ie: 50 ring gauge for a robusto), you just throw a ^2 behind it and VOILA! Box pressed ring gauge. :-D

I AM A COMEDY GOD!

LOL. ..... I see what you did there sniper.
    So it would be RG² ?? I.e. 5x54²

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Yes, thank you! I meant SQUARED when I typed ^2... get it? Box press... square shape... ring gauge SQUARED???? GET IT?!?!?

Jeez, I dont know why I even try with you people sometimes! Good thing I never quit my day job huh? LOL

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok then soooo........ how do they measure a Salomon or the San Latano Oval?
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Salamo e is generally refered to at its widest point, oval is totally new and I'm pretty sure specific to only that cigar.
    Vision:
    Oval? With a protractor. Salomon? By the size of the tomb of course! :-D

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    hahaha non stop knee slappers!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Vision:
    With the Oval it's the same as a box-press. It's the size before it goes into the mold. With a perfecto/salomon (or any figurado) it's the RG at the widest point.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The Sniper:
    Yes, thank you! I meant SQUARED when I typed ^2... get it? Box press... square shape... ring gauge SQUARED???? GET IT?!?!?

Jeez, I dont know why I even try with you people sometimes! Good thing I never quit my day job huh? LOL

People keep telling me "pie are square". They look round to me.
    beatnic:
    The Sniper:

LMAO! I love me a good math joke... SNIPER = NERD! :-)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:

Right!! Pie are round. Corn bread are square..... Yuk, yuk. :-D