Home Cigar 101

Opus X

StreaterStreater Posts: 293
I saw a thread in the Trades Passes Bombs section requesting a couple Opus X sticks. I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'm starting my own.

Being new to the leaf I have yet to smoke anything priced higher than about $11. It was an Ashton VSG and it was wonderful. Other than that, I haven't really had a super premium. I've seen the Opus X mentioned in a couple of other threads and how they range from $20-$50+ a stick. I'm intrigued, to put it mildly.

I've been dying to try a super premium, but being a noob, I don't really know what to try. Considering that I will spend at least $20 on a stick, is the Opus X the way to go? I like a med-full bodied stick that has a thick creamy smoke with flavors of spice, cedar and earth. The VSG was great, and I also like the Oliva V. I really want my first experience with an expensive cigar to be a good one. Is the Opus X the one to try or is there something else out there that yall could point me to? I'm losing my virginity and I want it to be special!

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Try the ashton ESG. Mmm. Buy an opus and let it rest a year.mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Padron Family Reserve Maduro...pick one....
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Padron Family Reserve Maduro...pick one....
    +1 any padron anniversary is a great stick!! But the family reserves are really great!
    Money can't buy taste
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Opus is a VERY consistent line. Very little amount of duds in my experience and they are fantastic smokes. They are the hardest of the fuente line to find with the exception of Anejos. The ones that get expensive are the very limited edition cigars. Ie if you buy a box it may come with 1 rare cigar like a maduro version. The main 2 lines of opus are the regular red bands and then the darker black bands which are the Lost City line (25 a sticks usually) to commemorate a movie that Any Garcia filmed on the Fuente Estate. I have 2 fivers of the Lost Cities and maybe 4-6 of the regular opus line all resting.
  • scarlin:
    Opus is a VERY consistent line. Very little amount of duds in my experience and they are fantastic smokes. They are the hardest of the fuente line to find with the exception of Anejos. The ones that get expensive are the very limited edition cigars. Ie if you buy a box it may come with 1 rare cigar like a maduro version. The main 2 lines of opus are the regular red bands and then the darker black bands which are the Lost City line (25 a sticks usually) to commemorate a movie that Any Garcia filmed on the Fuente Estate. I have 2 fivers of the Lost Cities and maybe 4-6 of the regular opus line all resting.
    jesus christ lucky dude, ive been vlessed enough to be allowed to smoke 1 opus in my life... Hell i dont think ive ever even seen that many before
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Opus is a VERY consistent line.

I have to argue the opposite. Although Opus are generally good, they're much like a wine in that some years are far better than others. I've had two consecutive years that have been astounding (I believe it was the 08) and mediocre (09). Also, depending on the vitola, they can vary quite a bit from excessively strong and spicy to much more mild mannered and medium-full in strength.

That being said, I love Opus and when they're on, they're fantastic. When they're off, they're still good, just don't warrant the price tag or reputation. I'd personally have to recommend the Padron 64 if you usually smoke more medium strength smokes. I find those much more consistent and they're fantastic super premiums.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Don't spent close to 20$ for an Opus X. They can regularly be had for MSRP which is more like 10-15 dollars per stick depending on the vitola. If you're paying 20+ for a single, you're getting gouged.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I've had one Opus X, a corona, and it was incredible up until the point where tar and nicotine started oozing out of the cut... Aside from that flaw, it was a great stick. Flavors I'd never encountered and still can't quite place. I've yet to have the Lost City, but a man can dream...
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I've had one Opus X, a corona, and it was incredible up until the point where tar and nicotine started oozing out of the cut... Aside from that flaw, it was a great stick. Flavors I'd never encountered and still can't quite place. I've yet to have the Lost City, but a man can dream...
    I want to try the lost city. One day!!
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    docbp87:
    Don't spent close to 20$ for an Opus X. They can regularly be had for MSRP which is more like 10-15 dollars per stick depending on the vitola. If you're paying 20+ for a single, you're getting gouged.
    That is VERY good information to have. Thank you.

I will also check out The Padrons yall were talking about. All very good information. I really appreciate it.

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    FFOX msrp is something that is a rarity on its own. I might not be as knowledgeable about FFOX's compared to most on this forum but I do know that I have had only a hand full of FFOX cigars that could of been better out of the 100+ I've had.
    Everyone else missed the important part of this thread.

CONGRATS ON THE VIRGINITY THING! lol
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Streater, you really can't go wrong with an OpusX. Everyone should try one at some point. I have the luxury of having a couple of B&M's that stock them at regular price and have a hard time justifying buying anything else when an OpusX can be had for around $15. The high-end Padrons are also amazing and should be on your wishlist as well.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with an Opus X, but if you're going to pay 20 a stick, you should try the Armada before they dissapear.....
    I found 2 today for a little over $14 a stick. Now I have to go hide them in the coolidor and forget I have them for 6 months to a year. This is going to be difficult.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Streater:
    I found 2 today for a little over $14 a stick. Now I have to go hide them in the coolidor and forget I have them for 6 months to a year. This is going to be difficult.
    more.
    one year minimum if you ask me
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Kuz that even a year doesn't do much to these sticks. Try one within 6 months so you have a frame of reference, then keep track of the other one or go pick up some more and sticker them. Get at least a year or two before smoking the next one.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Smoke one now and let the other rest at least a year.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Smoke one now and let the other rest at least a year.
    I have two, both have about 7 months on them and the first won't get lit until next year when my son graduates from HS, the other will get burned when I get my next job ;) Both of which are a year or longer from now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I tried one while I was traveling for work about a month ago. I was not impressed and I think the half priced anejo was a much better stick. Then again, I don't have half the palates that most cigar smokers have so it could just be me. I did love the Casa Fuente, which I think is similar to an Opus X but not sure. Is that accurate? Anyway, don't overthink what the experience will be. I hope you have a fantastic experience.
    I'll probably have one July 4th as I have back surgery on the 5th. The next on will be for a special occasion; I'm talkin hot tub, strippers, a rubber chicken, 10 midgets and a donkey special! Thanks for all the advice.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    james40:
    I tried one while I was traveling for work about a month ago. I was not impressed and I think the half priced anejo was a much better stick. Then again, I don't have half the palates that most cigar smokers have so it could just be me. I did love the Casa Fuente, which I think is similar to an Opus X but not sure. Is that accurate? Anyway, don't overthink what the experience will be. I hope you have a fantastic experience.
    I think the Casa Fuente and Opus X are a similar blend or as I have seen it called a tweaked OPus X blend but the Casa Fuente has a cameroon wrapper. As for the Anejo being cheaper, I believe MSRP is about the same for both or close. Too bad I can't really find either for MSRP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Streater:
    I'll probably have one July 4th as I have back surgery on the 5th. The next on will be for a special occasion; I'm talkin hot tub, strippers, a rubber chicken, 10 midgets and a donkey special! Thanks for all the advice.
    right on dude, I hope our surgery goes well. I have a questionable back myself so I can imagine your pain. I think you'll like that stick.

maybe I got lucky but I had the anejo for $11.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Buy a handfull of them and let them rest a year. Then every year buy a few more and get your rotation going. Easier than you think (coming from a 56 yr old). This way you will always have a few ready to smoke. Patience, young grasshopper!. Patience!
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    CvilleE:
    You can't go wrong with an Opus X, but if you're going to pay 20 a stick, you should try the Armada before they dissapear.....

I couldn't agree more.  Opus X was a nice smoke but I much preferred the Armada.....where are they going???  I've only got one left!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    CvilleE:

I couldn't agree more.  Opus X was a nice smoke but I much preferred the Armada.....where are they going???  I've only got one left!
    they are getting consumed by small fires.
    the wrapper leaf has run out.