Home Cigar 101

Storing in a 100+ year old basement.

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
My house was built in the late 1800s and is a field stone foundation. It doesn't get water EVER. and is pretty cool (66-68 deg. tops). My only concern is the 100 year old smell. Not funky...just old smelling. I want to put my 4 humidors down there on a shelf. I was thinking Cooler but they may not fit (and with my wife watching me post this I may not want to spend the loot) Will, could, small chance this affect my sticks?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I would think the only danger would be mold. Otherwise the conditions are perfect. But you say it hasn't been wet, ever. How old are you? Oh, and bring your laptop down there to post. LMAO.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 to this ^^^ mold would be my only concern.

On that note however, a cheap and effective way to combat that would be to setup a mini "clean room" setup. To elaborate on that, the "pop-up" closets that you can find at Target, Wally-World, or catalogs that are built on a PVC plastic pipe frame and then have a plastic wrap around it that zips shut and is meant for storing clothes in basements would be a great way to keep the humi's in a cool dry place but they are still mostly shielded from the smell and possible mold. Something kinda like this:

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I would think the only danger would be mold. Otherwise the conditions are perfect. But you say it hasn't been wet, ever. How old are you? Oh, and bring your laptop down there to post. LMAO.

Since we have been here.
    I do have a son on the way so .... wait.... Wet.... Down where?
    And down there...... Yup... posting from my bed!
    90+ Irishman:
    +1 to this ^^^ mold would be my only concern.

On that note however, a cheap and effective way to combat that would be to setup a mini "clean room" setup. To elaborate on that, the "pop-up" closets that you can find at Target, Wally-World, or catalogs that are built on a PVC plastic pipe frame and then have a plastic wrap around it that zips shut and is meant for storing clothes in basements would be a great way to keep the humi's in a cool dry place but they are still mostly shielded from the smell and possible mold. Something kinda like this:

I have one! Good call! Out with all my old fat cloths!
    And to the mold....

On the sticks or humidor?
    Vision:
    And to the mold....

On the sticks or humidor?
    Both... if the humi gets moldy so will the cigars (damp and warm wood environment = mold), and vice versa though I'd imagine it would take marginally more time if the cigars introduced to the humi were moldy and not the humidor was moldy. Just my take ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Double Post... sorry
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    put them in a cooler down there.
    zero problem.

• OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    kuzi16:
    put them in a cooler down there.
    zero problem.

yup +1