Home Ratings & Reviews

John Bull

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Somehow, I allowed myself to be touted on to trying the John Bull cigar. I'm always interested in finding an economical every-day stick so I picked up a fiver to try.

To my poor, ignorant palate, it has all the complexity of.. uh, well... cardboard. The burn was ok and the draw was, too, once I gave it a tune-up with my poker. It put out an acceptable amount of smoke. It just tasted like... blecchh. Nothing.

Anybody interested in trading for the remaining four? Probably not.....

Comments

• NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    I bought a box and after smoking some and giving some away I still have quite a few of them. Your analogy is correct, They do taste like cardboard.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Your chances of trading them probably slim Marty.
    Here's what I'd do, get a "biggish" ziplock.
    Add a fat shot glass 3/4 filled with Kahlua, Sherry, or Bourbon and your 4 John Bulls.
    Let it sit for a month, add liquid if necessary.
    Then take out the shot glass, add a humi pack, wait another week or, and fire one up - might make a good yard gar.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Your chances of trading them probably slim Marty.

Oh, I knew that when I typed the post but I have a bad habit of forgetting to put the 'LOL' in there and folks frequently miss the fact that I'm kidding.

The rest of your idea has some merit, though. After all, what do I have to lose? LOL. :-). (There, I remembered this time, yuk, yuk)

Thanks, Bro.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've come close to buying these before. Thanks for throwing yourself on the grenade Marty.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    I've come close to buying these before. Thanks for throwing yourself on the grenade Marty.

No problem. Tightwad that I am, I keep looking for that one, under-the-radar blend that wafts me off to Nirvana. I need to wise up and admit to myself that it just ain't gonna happen.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try Kingofthecove's suggestion and try infusing some flavor into these otherwise flavorless mammy-jammers. I'll try to remember to report on the success/failure of the mission.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Tightwad that I am, I keep looking for that one, under-the-radar blend that wafts me off to Nirvana. I need to wise up and admit to myself that it just ain't gonna happen.
    I too am a perpetual tightwad, and that cigar for me is the Gran Habano Vintage 2002. It can be found for under $2/stick (just a few cents more than the John Bull per stick). I don't understand how such a good cigar can be had for so cheap, but I don't question it, I just smoke em!
    Heavy:
    jlmarta:
    Tightwad that I am, I keep looking for that one, under-the-radar blend that wafts me off to Nirvana. I need to wise up and admit to myself that it just ain't gonna happen.
    I too am a perpetual tightwad, and that cigar for me is the Gran Habano Vintage 2002. It can be found for under $2/stick (just a few cents more than the John Bull per stick). I don't understand how such a good cigar can be had for so cheap, but I don't question it, I just smoke em!

Good info, Heavy. I know I've tried those in the past but I don't remember my impression of them. I'll have to re-visit them, for sure. Thanks.
    Heavy:
    jlmarta:
    I'm with you there! I love those, in robusto anyway.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Heavy:
    jlmarta:
    That's good to hear. I just ordered a sampler of them. Heard they were pretty good.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    I likes me some GH2002 as well.........pretty dang good with some age (6+months) on them.....have not had the Toro, Robusto only for me.........have heard from a few that the Toro not as good??

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Heavy:
    I likes me some GH2002 as well.........pretty dang good with some age (6+months) on them.....have not had the Toro, Robusto only for me.........have heard from a few that the Toro not as good??

I've only ever had the robusto myself. The only other vitola I've ever seen is the churchill. Never had one though, but I do have one in the humi that I think someone sent me in a pass or something. It's pretty freakin big for a churchill.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Estrella Cubana is my "cheap" smoke. I like it enough that when I can pick up 20 cheap, I do so and I don't mind passing them out at about $1.50-2.00 a stick when picked up in 20 qty.

I thought they were AJ sticks.... could be wrong.
    KingoftheCove:
    Heavy:

I don't know of a Toro, when the Churchills came out a lot of us went for them with high expectations. There were a lot of burn issues. I was finally able to smoke mine after putting them in a dry-box for about a month or so, but even then it required frequent maiintenance with the lighter. Who knows, by now they might have enough age on them.

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    KingoftheCove:
    Heavy:

There isn't a toro... just robusto and churchill. And yes, the robusto is WAY better! Miles better. I find this to be true with all GH products. The GHV2002 and Blue Label especially.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I had a John Bull not to long ago and it was smoking card board.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Marty, try the A.J. Fernandez fresh rolled. They are awesome. Nutty and sweet.
    cabinetmaker:

Good suggestion, Cabinetmaker. I've wondered about those. I'll make a note to myself to give 'em a try. Thanks,
    jlmarta:
    cabinetmaker:

Good suggestion, Cabinetmaker. I've wondered about those. I'll make a note to myself to give 'em a try. Thanks,
    I second this one, DEFINETLY worth it!

I can't give the John Bulls away. Taking up room in my 50ct.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Put them in a tupperware container with a shot some some liquorliqueur and wait for a few months. They'll taste like more delicious cardboard then!
    allsmokedup:
    Put them in a tupperware container with a shot some some liquorliqueur and wait for a few months. They'll taste like more delicious cardboard then!
    I'm going to try that with some brandy.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Fellow tightwads, these deserve your attention: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST132
    fla-gypsy:
    Fellow tightwads, these deserve your attention: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST132

Interesting thought, Gypsy. I'll put these in my "to try" list. Thanks.