Home General Discussion

The Difference

Hello BOTL's,
I have not posted in since forever. I see tons of new names and a few I recognize. I have been a cigar smoker for around 12 years. Anytime I start something, I go whole hog. About 5 years ago I discovered Cigar.com and have been a loyal customer since then. I have a 500 count couch-end humidor chest(really about 275) and of course a Cigar Oasis system. The resources and industry leading team at CC has allowed me to grow. Grow in information, technique, cautions, taste and most of all, respect for cigars. It may seem a bit weird to say respect for cigars but as Rocky Patel says, over 300 people can be involved in the production of a cigar run. The years and dedication to quality many companies invest in their blends, floors me. My mother passed away 8 weeks ago and I have spent hours and hours with my Father helping both of us deal with our loss. We are 450 miles apart but we now share a passion together we never had before. My Pop smoked cigarettes for 50 + years before he quit some 15 years ago. He is in good health at 78 but misses my Mom so much. Two times a day especially, Morning and Happy Hour. While I was with him I shared a couple of cigars with him. He is a grown up and if he wants to smoke, that's his decision. My sister is rather miffed at me because she thinks I got him started smoking again, he is a free man. I only shared what I have found to be quality time with him. He now has a cigar with his coffee in the morning and a cigar with his Scotch in the evening. Pops and I talk on the phone and share thoughts on cigars and like and dislikes. When it was time to get him hooked up with a cigar expert, I turned to Cigar.com. I am SO pleased with his experience here. He is trying different blends and becoming an expert in his own rite. Cigars fill a void for him. Cigars have also become a common topic for the both of us. I am 51 years old and we have re-connected like never before. The team at Cigar.com has helped us do this. I also bought him a small humidor, lighter, hygrometer and beautiful wood and brass ashtray. He loves his new friend as much as his new hobby. I can't thank Tim and Alex and the whole staff for being a trustworthy bunch I can recommend to my father. The Difference is True Passion and not sales that drives this company. I am a customer for life and my Pops as well. Thanks Fellas, and Girls if there are any, for what you do. Greed ruins everything, I have not found greed at Cigar.com I have found friends and people I can trust instead. I am smoking an Olivia V as I type, WOW is the only description I can muster. Quality and Passion run deep, it's here, and I couldn't be happier 5 years and running. Thanks, Brian

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    very nice. glad to have you back. this community is sure growing. have you had the olivia v maduro?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Brian, First sorry for the loss of your mother. I've lost mine in '92 and I know how that feels. Second congratulations on re-connecting with your dad. The cigar connection is a good story and I'm glad you get to share that with him. Hope to hear from you on the board and the things you have learned, definitly some great guys here-Gene
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Brian,

Thats awesome that you found a way to share something you enjoy so much with your dad. Quality time with him at this point is priceless.

As for your sister's concern, I doubt a couple cigars a day are going to do him any harm that 50 years of cigarettes didn't.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome! I am going to try one now, that's for sure! :)
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    that's a great story you shared, thank you. Oh and welcome to the forum!
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    As for your sister's concern, I doubt a couple cigars a day are going to do him any harm that 50 years of cigarettes didn't.
    First off, welcome. Sorry about your loss and it's good to have you here. As for what Scram said, I have to agree. I work in biotech - specifically a company that develops tools for cancer research. I'm not defending smoking at all, but the honest truth is, if your dad has made it to 78 and is still in good health, then hell, let him do what he wants and enjoy his life!

Too many people blame smoking for causing cancer and don't take into account the genetic aspect of it. If the guy has good genes, all the better! That's probably what got him to 78 cancer free after smoking all that time. As the grandfather in Little Miss Sunshine said "When you get to be my age, you're crazy if you DON'T do drugs!"

It's great that you found something to share with your dad. Enjoy him while he's here because nobody lasts forever (not to sound like the eternal pessimist, but I prefer realist). Now you just have to get him on the boards here!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good story... and welcome to the forums. Pull up a chair, the people here are great.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, very good story, and I can understand sort of what you mean. I go to see my parents once a year, and rarely talk to them in between, but after I started smoking cigars, I notice I phone home to discuss them with my dad a lot more. It's nice to find something to bond over.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    man... i havent seen you in a while.

a lot has changed here.
    good thing the new people are just as good as the old.

itll be nice to have your opinion on cigars again.