Home Cigar 101

I can't get it up!

My humidity in my humi. I went out and bought a digital hygrrometer as was suggested, used the salt method, got the humidity to 70 put it into my humi and watced it drop to 58-60% and it won't go back to 70. I'm stuck guys, can anyone help me?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    robert69165:
    My humidity in my humi. I went out and bought a digital hygrrometer as was suggested, used the salt method, got the humidity to 70 put it into my humi and watced it drop to 58-60% and it won't go back to 70. I'm stuck guys, can anyone help me?
    quit opening the humidor to check on em.

just make sure that all your humidity devices are charged.

or take out all your smokes, put em in tupperware container, and re-season the humidor.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    he he, ok! Seriously, I am using 2 humijars for a 150 count humidor. I'll re-season it and see how that wroks. My analog says 70-80, so I'm at a loss.
  • I would definitely try reseasoning the humi. Take a shallow bowl of distilled water and let it set in there for around five days. Do NOT open the lid until the five days are up. Then set the humidifier and hygrometer in and take the bowl out. Let it set for 24 hours, then check it.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Yes reseasoning the humi will be a big help. Make sure you wipe down the cedar thoroughly. Not sure how many cigars you have in the humi, but in my experience, the more sticks inside, the easier it is to maintain consistent humidity. You can try adding some water pillows to drive it up. If your humi is large enough to accomodate it and you are near a power outlet, I highly recommend the electric unit from Humi-care. Most other humidifiers are passive, which means the humidity will be at its highest when you first fill it, from there it drops. The humicare electric unit is active which means it turns itself on and off to maintain constant humidity. You can set it and forget it. Best investment I have made, especially since I like to age my stuff and keeping humidity constant is very important to aging.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    If you did the salt test, and your digital hygrometer reported 70%, and you threw it back into the humidor and you're getting 60%, it means you're actually at 65% which is ok. (Salt deliquesces at 75% RH, which means you're digital has to be calibrated +5). And its going to be harder to hit the upper range of 65-70 anyway if your humi is empty (which im betting it is since you're testing for humidity) as Alex said. Cigars in a way are their own humidifiers, they can soak up yet also release humidity, often more the latter than the former unless you spike down to 50% etc. My guess is everything is a'ok and where its supposed to be.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting something else from the title of this thread... eh, well season your humi again, then make sure you fill it with as many cigars you can and leave it shut for a few days , maybe even a week. It should stabilize. Alex made a good point too. though I wouldn't want to take up the room in my humi with a electric unit in my humi and it's a large 300 dome. When I ever get a cabinet I'll be sure to get something what Alex was talking about.
    Hey Alex, I was wondering if those humicare units are good for a 150 ct humidoor? I have actually been toying around with the idea of getting one of these.
    Thanks for the great ideas gang. I'll try them until I find somthing that works.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    I bought a Humi-care electric humidifier and it works wonders. Just recently I replaced the green foam inside with heartfelt beads. I originally had it in my 100ct humidor but I got a wine cooler and started to build my first coolerdor. image
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Nice setup.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    Thanks. I'm proud to say that I got all the info and Ideas I needed from this forum as well as all my sticks have been bought from ccom. Jeff Jackson is my account manager and he is the reason why I keep buying from you guys.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    Wow, Niz!  That is an absolutely beautiful setup you got there!

Mmm!  I bet it smells FANTASTIC when you open the door to that thing.
    Problem resolved, I forgot to hit the calibration button on the hygrometer. Duh! It all worked out! Thanks to everyone for the great tips! Hygrometer at 73%. an over all improvement for 60%.