Home Cigar 101

Box press, what is the reasoning?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does it gain something in the cigars or what?
I'm not sure I understand the purpose or the reasoning behind making a cigar box pressed.
Anyone have any insight into it?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    From what I hear, it helps with the draw. Not sure if it's true or not though. The unique shapes can be fun though. If I remember correctly though, a blender said that they do it because they can.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I like box press personally. I've always wondered....do they just shove them all in the box and smash them?
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    catfishbluezz:
    I like box press personally. I've always wondered....do they just shove them all in the box and smash them?
    Basically... they are just squared molds instead of round.

The point may be asthetic, may be for draw purposes, or may be to hide imperfections in the wrapper (RP is notorious for that). I personally hate most box pressed cigars, just because I don't like the shape or the way it feels.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:

The point may be asthetic, may be for draw purposes, or may be to hide imperfections in the wrapper (RP is notorious for that). I personally hate most box pressed cigars, just because I don't like the shape or the way it feels.
    Thats what she said?
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:

Thats what she said?
    Lol
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I read an article that said the wrapper ratio increases because there is less binder/filler used in a box press than in an equal gauge round cigar.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it was just a gimmick, and maybe it is, but I accidently ordered the 5-Vegas box pressed sampler once, and found I loved the 5-Vegas "A". Not long after that I ordered some more of the A's, Toro or Robusto, I'm not sure which, and found that while I still enjoyed them, they lacked the depth and intensity of the box pressed. Thinking I might have been mistaken, I tried the triple A's, which I also enjoyed, but weren't the same. The wrapper ratio explanation seems logical, if you've ever checked into flow dynamics, Bernouli's Laws etc., (I think that's right, I'm not Googling Bernouli to find out) or maybe it was just a more satisfying shape to hold.

(or did she say that?)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Box pressing came around from Cuba. Now it is really only used as looks and some people do prefer it. I do believed it comes from putting larger rg's in a smaller box hence flattening them. I'm all for it
    Money can't buy taste
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this...

Many years ago, Cuban exporters needed to get a lot of cigars into a small space. They started packing cigars together very tightly. This allowed them to get more cigars in each box, of course, but it also altered the shape of the cigars. As they were kept in the boxes, they gradually took on a square shape. Generally, these cigars will burn a bit longer and taste stronger than round cigars. The smell is also a bit stronger with these stogies. Though it was the result of packing, this shape became very popular with smokers and some companies replicate this shape on purpose. Some cigars are deliberately squared today, showing how important the shape is to some smokers.

I also found that it was also created due to a request of a cigar that wouldn't "Roll off a table when placing a lit cigar down on it"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Box pressing came around from Cuba. Now it is really only used as looks and some people do prefer it. I do believed it comes from putting larger rg's in a smaller box hence flattening them. I'm all for it
    Vision:
    I found this...

Many years ago, Cuban exporters needed to get a lot of cigars into a small space. They started packing cigars together very tightly. This allowed them to get more cigars in each box, of course, but it also altered the shape of the cigars. As they were kept in the boxes, they gradually took on a square shape. Generally, these cigars will burn a bit longer and taste stronger than round cigars. The smell is also a bit stronger with these stogies. Though it was the result of packing, this shape became very popular with smokers and some companies replicate this shape on purpose. Some cigars are deliberately squared today, showing how important the shape is to some smokers.

I also found that it was also created due to a request of a cigar that wouldn't "Roll off a table when placing a lit cigar down on it"
    this history is all true. however, if it adds anything to the flavor is all speculation.

cigar companies only make them now because people demand the shapes. people like the way they feel in their hands. people dont want them to roll off the table.

this is a picture i took while in the Oliva Factory:

this is a pic of a box pressed G maduro topedo, a box pressed G maduro Churchill, a box pressed O maduro perfecto and a Box pressed V Figurado.
    our tour guide asked us: “why do we box press cigars?” people were throwing out all kinds of answers from “it helps the burn” to “it wont roll off your boat when you set it down.”
    all of the answers and theories that we have thrown out in this thread she (our tour guide) kept saying, "no, thats not it" she kept having us guess.
    i was on this tour with people that know cigars. I was on the trip with 3 certified tobaccanists, the owner of Cigar Journal magazine, Matt Booth, Two shop owners and 3 other very serious smokers.
    nobody was getting the answer.
    finally we all ran out of answers and stood there quietly until she gave up the real answer:
    “because we can”

• *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Vision:
    I found this...

this history is all true. however, if it adds anything to the flavor is all speculation.

cigar companies only make them now because people demand the shapes. people like the way they feel in their hands. people dont want them to roll off the table.

this is a picture i took while in the Oliva Factory:

this is a pic of a box pressed G maduro topedo, a box pressed G maduro Churchill, a box pressed O maduro perfecto and a Box pressed V Figurado.
    our tour guide asked us: “why do we box press cigars?” people were throwing out all kinds of answers from “it helps the burn” to “it wont roll off your boat when you set it down.”
    all of the answers and theories that we have thrown out in this thread she (our tour guide) kept saying, "no, thats not it" she kept having us guess.
    i was on this tour with people that know cigars. I was on the trip with 3 certified tobaccanists, the owner of Cigar Journal magazine, Matt Booth, Two shop owners and 3 other very serious smokers.
    nobody was getting the answer.
    finally we all ran out of answers and stood there quietly until she gave up the real answer:
    “because we can”

Cool pic Kuzi, and that answer sounds about right. hahaha.

I'm not personally a fan of them, no real reason other than "just because" but I gotta say, I love the fact they don't roll away on you when you set them down.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Kinda... Big Todd hit the nail too. It originally started years ago just as a fad but met enough mass market appeal that it turned into what it is today. From what I have heard and believe, there were not square molds at first , instead they just pressed them tightly into the box when they were very "wet" and fresh still adn as they acclimated and aged they remained the square shape. Just my two cents, but that is what I've been lead to believe.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    catfishbluezz:
    Kinda... Big Todd hit the nail too. It originally started years ago just as a fad but met enough mass market appeal that it turned into what it is today. From what I have heard and believe, there were not square molds at first , instead they just pressed them tightly into the box when they were very "wet" and fresh still adn as they acclimated and aged they remained the square shape. Just my two cents, but that is what I've been lead to believe.
    well.... thats how they originally did it. now they actually have molds and presses. thats how they get those sharper corners. I saw padron pressing them right after banding them in their factory. Oliva was pressing them before the box as well.

the press looks almost exactly like the box from the LFD Factory press.
  • they also burn slower
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    I enjoy the box-pressed and really like the shape of a San Lotano Oval I recently picked up.