Home Cigar 101

Yikes! Beatle question

ScottUScottU Posts: 194
What temp do tobacco beatles roll out?I just got home and it was a warm day out and we didn't have the air on. My humi was up to 76F - SHould i be concerned?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    ScottU:
    What temp do tobacco beatles roll out?I just got home and it was a warm day out and we didn't have the air on. My humi was up to 76F - SHould i be concerned?

I think a about 78f and up you have some concerns ...wouldn't want to keep it at 76 though and I'm assuming you probably got it back down some. The other guys can weigh in on this one with beetle specifics....
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Dont worry. Most of the time it takes 80 or higher. Also, most of the cigars you probably have, have been fumigated and/ or frozen so the larva has been killed. That is assuming you have all top notch premiums.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping I don't have beetles at any point.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    My humidor sits in the high 70's all summer long and into autumn, haven't seen a beetle yet. Don't stress so much, it defeats the calming effect of cigar smoking.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, when I read about beetles I got this horrible image of my cigars being consumed by a mass of squirming crawlies. Boo.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    Yeah, when I read about beetles I got this horrible image of my cigars being consumed by a mass of squirming crawlies. Boo.
    Yeah, when I read about the beatles I got this horrible image of my guitars being consumed by a mass of screaming girlies. Boo.

HA!
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Thanks all for the reassurance... Can they penetrate cello?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    yes

but not wood or tubes.
    kuzi16:
    ScottU:
    yes

but not wood or tubes.
    now all I have to do is get hundreds of little coffins or tubes... hmmm
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Just chain smoke those cigars. If you're smoking them all, they can't get to 'em.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had the beetle problem and from what I can tell I got them from Gurkha Shaggy Maduro Torpedos. Two different orders but my guess is the same batch. The cigars that I had that were affected were about 5 of the Shaggys and 1 Grand Age. Two of the Shaggys had the tunnel holes, the others did not but if you shook the cigar the shavings would come out.
    I wonder if it was because of poor storage of the place you bought them at...?
    phobicsquirrel:
    Could have been. That's why I freeze everything I get in now.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    I've read on this forum in the last 4 months about 1 guy having beatles. Thats not a big problem as I see it. As long as you keep your rh in the prefered range we shouldn't  have anything to worry about. Do they come only in certain times of the year or just anytime you are having problems with your rh? Are the eggs always there? I think Alex said all premium tobacco is fumagated or frozen. Is this correct? If it is I don't see anyone with this problem.
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    what if you get a mr. freeze beetle? then your screwed.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    what if you get a mr. freeze beetle? then your screwed.
    LOL! You're Killing me!