Home Cigar 101

Centurian Surprise

I tried my 1st Gurkha Centurian this afternoon and had issues. The draw was extremely too tight and what smoke I could get had an almost chemical taste. I know several folks like this cigar so I'm thinking I just got a bad one. Should I be staging cigars before I smoke them? It was in the bottom area of a 100 ct humi running about 67% (hygrometer on the top shelf). I had it turned the right way unless the band was upside down and had plenty cut off the head.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    The draw is about on par. The centurian is a tightly packed perfecto and the draw is pretty tight until you get about an inch in. Chemical taste? No idea. All the centurians i've had have been really good. If the hygro reads 67 on top, the bottom is 67 or maybes a point or two higher. I keep mine at 70 and they've smoked fine. Get another, let it rest for about 4 weeks and try again. Dont give up, this cigar is really good IMHO.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    When I purchased my first mazo of Centurians, I smoked one right away and it was not so great. After letting them sit for 3-4 months, the next one I smoked was much, much better. This is my favorite cigar by Gurkha. I think it has a lot to offer in terms of flavor, but you need to let it rest for a while.
  • burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    Thanks fellas! I'll let them rest for a while.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    When I purchased my first mazo of Centurians, I smoked one right away and it was not so great. After letting them sit for 3-4 months, the next one I smoked was much, much better. This is my favorite cigar by Gurkha. I think it has a lot to offer in terms of flavor, but you need to let it rest for a while.
    I generally do this with all my cigars. I have only had 3 of them so I can't give a ratio but all have been fine, with great draw from the get go, minus the very begining, but it opened up quick. never had the chem taste, but then again I let most of my cigars sit for a while and also I don't smoke my fav's too much, you know I am really letting them sit for a while, I have a lot of other cigars I want to try first to see if they make the grade, so to speak.. But the centurion's are pretty damn good. Thanks to Ccom I have another 10.
  • Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    I just recieved the centurians from the daily deal and a mazo of 6 turks. I think i am going to leave the centurians rest for awhile but i might just have to try one this weekend. Sounds like a good smoke after a little time.
    well I got mine over the weekend and had one this morning and it was fine. smoked well too. ccom seems to do a good job with their cigars. but as a rule I usually keep my cigars on a mandatory 3 month lock up before I light one.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have a *** load of Centurions that I got months and months ago. I think around July or August. I also just got two 5 packs of the deal last week. So, I am set with them. I should smoke one soon to see how they aged. I have so many new ones to smoke though. I still haven't touched the stash I got from Phoebes.
  • burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    I think I just got a bad one. The draw was so tight that you really couldn't smoke it. I'm talking purple face draw. Probably just a bad roll or something. If they were all perfect it wouldn't be as fun, huh?
    burchams:
    I think I just got a bad one. The draw was so tight that you really couldn't smoke it. I'm talking purple face draw. Probably just a bad roll or something. If they were all perfect it wouldn't be as fun, huh?
    reminds me of a CAO Italia I had the other day, tossed it after an inch or so.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    burchams:
    geeeez! the italia? ive never had a bad italia.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    burchams:
    the italia? ive never had a bad italia.
    And I've never had a good one. (badum-ching)
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    burchams:
    the italia? ive never had a bad italia.
    And I've never had a good one. (badum-ching)
    lol