Home Cigar 101

What's going on with this cigar? it pops

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
So I'm having this cigar and at various points, it pops and crackles... I checked it prelight and no signs of beetles or anything. I mean, the foot of the cigar didn't have that nice accordian fold (it was a bit jumbled...). I did notice a lump right beneath the triple cap. Any feedback? Doesn't alter the taste though (which is all I really care about).

Comments

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    ive had the crackling on several cigars, dont know what causes it but have never found any negative side effects of the crackling.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    It's beetles, and the lump in the cap was one trying to wiggle it's way out....
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Gibs - I agree with you.

Kris - don't make me throw up. Looking at Google pics is bad enough. bad.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Dude are you smoking a clove?!
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    bigfnsteve:
    More like a rice crispy treat :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there are rumors that it is beetle eggs. however, i cannot confirm nor deny. the other "real" theory is that tobacco leaves are a natural product grown and fermented in natural ways. there is a decent amount of moisture variation and throughout, especially the stems, and there are natural air pockets within the stems and leaves as well. this is probably what is causing the popping. its very much like wood in a fire just at a very small scale.
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    bigfnsteve:
    Beat me to it! lol

I've had a cigar do that now and again too. Usually when they are a little dryer, like if I pull it from the humi and get pulled away to do something else for about a half hour or so before I can light it.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    kuzi16:
    there are rumors that it is beetle eggs. however, i cannot confirm nor deny. the other "real" theory is that tobacco leaves are a natural product grown and fermented in natural ways. there is a decent amount of moisture variation and throughout, especially the stems, and there are natural air pockets within the stems and leaves as well. this is probably what is causing the popping. its very much like wood in a fire just at a very small scale.
    This makes total sense.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Kuzi always makes sense but we love being ignorant sometimes too and just making this stuff up as we go. LOL
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Kuzi always makes sense but we love being ignorant sometimes too and just making this stuff up as we go. LOL
    +1!!
    It's funner that way. LOL!

Dad, what's a light year?
    Well son, that's one less calorie than the regular year.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Professor Kuzi - thank you very much (again and again). You are respected by Jiunn

Steve and Jason - Rice Krispies treat?? No. More believable if it was a Panda Express eggroll (that's what she said?). hahaha, Cartman just goes on tv "my momma's so poor, she signs up for free gmail just so she can eat the spam" hahah. I love this fat kid.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I would also bet that older, oily cigars might do that if you hit an oil pocket once there's a bit of plume built up.