Home Cigar 101

After 30 years, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I've been working to develope my ability to discern the various taste nuance's when smoking cigars.  Not just seperating out tastes but putting a name to them.  For whatever reason it is a very hard thing for me to do.  Maybe dull taste buds?   Anyway, I've just completed a Acid Kuba-Kuba and without a doubt I tasted coconut, more specifically toasted coconut, like when you eat a toasted macaroon.   I found myself putting the tip of my tounge...tunge...tung....(the thing in my mouth)  on the end of the cigar while I drew (slowly) and had the smoke completely invelop it (the thing in my mouth) and wahla!  toasted coconut! 

The cigar, as I'm finding with most of the Acid maduro ones, was very good in all respects.  The one negative was at the last 2" of cigar, it balooned out to half again its size and split the wrapper.  Still smoke good but certainly lost points on the astetic catagory.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    good for you!

i hope for you that this is only the beginning
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've had that cigar too Bench, coconut it is ! And a lot more... ( tongue) by the way :}
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol.. yeah I hear ya. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, and I've seen, or should I say tasted an improvement over the last several months.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    not to be too much of a ***, but acid cigars have nothing to do with "subtle nuances" they are infused with potpouri to give you the punch assault on your senses.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    not to be too much of a ***, but acid cigars have nothing to do with "subtle nuances" they are infused with potpouri to give you the punch assault on your senses.
    though what you are saying is true, it can be a good way for those who have a difficult time to discerning specific flavors to start. from there one could go to more subtle blends like the java. then from the java you could go to el mejor espresso or greycliff espresso/ double espresso. Its a progression in learning.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    good point Kuzi
  • 405bench405bench Posts: 36

jihiggs:

I never said "subtle"   I said various. 

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    very true, sorry to misquote, but subtle is implied when using the word nuance. : )
  • 405bench405bench Posts: 36

jihiggs:
    very true, sorry to misquote, but subtle is implied when using the word nuance. : )

True enough.