Home General Discussion

Gurkha HMR vs. Grand Reserve

Ok so here's my question. I'm looking at the HMR and the grand reserve and I noticed that they both have similar fillers and the same wrapper and are both infused with louis XIII cognac. Is the HMR really 730 dollars better than the grand reserve, or will I get a similar flavor profile to the HMR with the grand reserve?

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've never had the HMR but they do have different wrappers and different fillers. In fact there really isn't any info on the exact type of filler used in the HMR. Also it uses an entire bottle of louis XIII for the box of 20 cigars. From what I have found anyway. I would love to try one of them though. I'm sure it's much better but for 700 dollars I wouldn't buy it. I do believe it dropped to 300ish around the holidays at which I would possibly try if they were around this year.
  • JFJF Posts: 54

No cigar is worth $730. You'd be hard-pressed to prove to me that any cigar is worth $40. Also, Remy Martin (Louis XIII is the flagship product of that distillery) tends to be the cognac drunk by people who don't know cognac - I'm sure it's quite good (I obviously don't have the disposable income to drop a grand and a half to try it), but not worth the money. People who know cognac tend to gravitate to either Hennessy if they like their cognac dry, or Couvossier if they like it sweet. People who REALLY know cognac tend to drink Armagnac instead.

So, yeah. A hype cigar made with hype cognac for $700 +. Not worth it.
  • Ive seen it go for around two hundred on an auction site, I was half tempted to bid on it, but I came to realize how many cigars and other stuff I could get for $200, I would like to try one, if for no other reason than to be able to say I did, But I figure somebody would have to be way generous or I would have to be to be way weathlier, before that ever happens.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JF:

No cigar is worth $730.
    how bout this one:
    no INFUSED cigar is woth $730.00

cost wise its worth about that much given the Louis XIII.
    ...it may not be great cognac but it sure is spendy.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    JF:

No cigar is worth $730. You'd be hard-pressed to prove to me that any cigar is worth $40. Also, Remy Martin (Louis XIII is the flagship product of that distillery) tends to be the cognac drunk by people who don't know cognac - I'm sure it's quite good (I obviously don't have the disposable income to drop a grand and a half to try it), but not worth the money. People who know cognac tend to gravitate to either Hennessy if they like their cognac dry, or Couvossier if they like it sweet. People who REALLY know cognac tend to drink Armagnac instead.

I usually prefer cognac myself and my top two are Remy and Hennessy. I have tried KLXIII once and while it was quite possibly the best cognac I've had, it's not worth the price hike. I'd rather Remy or Hennessy XO for almost a 10th of the price. As for Couvossier, I'm not a fan at all and find it rather harsh, more so than sweet. I've had their VSOP, Napoleon and XO and to be honest, if Couvossier is the only cognac a bar carries, I'll usually order something else. As for Armagnac, I've had it once and wasn't a huge fan.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Just want to chime in with something. I think the point of HMR is being missed. Much like gold plated cars, confectioner's silver frosting, the 550 dollar kobe beef burger with white truffle, aged cheese, etc ect, HMR is a status symbol. It's something for people to spend money on.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I almost bought one when they were down to $220 last year but I didn't. The only reason I would have gotten one is just to say I had one. That's about it. And if I liked it, well I would have been *** out of luck.
    JF:

couple of bold statments there. Though I do think 30 dollars is pushing it for 1 cigar. I do think the price is overstated that's for sure, but considering how much the bottle is not to mention they cigars themselves I think that a lot of places price it reasonable. MSRP I do not think it's worth it but then again a bottle will go for 12-1500 dollars. A Liquor store near me has 3 bottles of it, 1250 is the price. The box is F'ing huge too. I've heard good things about the the stuff. I'd love to try the black pearl cognac!
    rwheelwright:
    I almost bought one when they were down to $220 last year but I didn't. The only reason I would have gotten one is just to say I had one. That's about it. And if I liked it, well I would have been *** out of luck.
    If they drop to that this year I will pick up 2. call me crazy but I hate wondering....
    betasynn:
    Just want to chime in with something. I think the point of HMR is being missed. Much like gold plated cars, confectioner's silver frosting, the 550 dollar kobe beef burger with white truffle, aged cheese, etc ect, HMR is a status symbol. It's something for people to spend money on.
    i agree. it is something that rich fools would spend their money on just to say they have one (or had one) people that are really into cigars seem to all be a bit more realistic about it.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    If they drop to that this year I will pick up 2. call me crazy but I hate wondering....
    ...crazy
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    betasynn:
    i agree. it is something that rich fools would spend their money on just to say they have one (or had one) people that are really into cigars seem to all be a bit more realistic about it.
    Wait wait wait...are you saying that the most expensive cigar is not, by default, the best cigar? Ha! Everyone who knows cigars knows that quality is measured in dollars. :D
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    ...crazy
    like your not curious...
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    ...crazy
    like your not curious...
    Ya know, I'm curious about the effects of the third rail on a subway system....and yet, I'm still here. Satisfying curiosity is a pursuit for the rich or the crazy...CRAZY. :)
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    ...crazy
    like your not curious...
    Ya know, I'm curious about the effects of the third rail on a subway system....and yet, I'm still here. Satisfying curiosity is a pursuit for the rich or the crazy...CRAZY. :)
    My dad watched the effects of that first hand years ago, he brings it up every now and again.
  • Well I just got the grand reserves in, and it's a fantastic smoke right out of the tube. You can really taste the cognac, the flavor is really sweet to the taste, but to be honest, if the HMR's are anything like it, I'll stick to the grand reserves. The flavor gets a bit mundane after a while. It won't be my go to cigar, but it's a welcome change of pace and affordable when I want it. No third rail for me!!!
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    betasynn:
    Wait wait wait...are you saying that the most expensive cigar is not, by default, the best cigar? Ha! Everyone who knows cigars knows that quality is measured in dollars. :D

Guys, Joe is on to something! We can skip this 'five year aging tobacco' thing and just roll hundred dollar bills up to make the filler, binder, and wrapper! You just burn and smoke; as it would literally cost like, 600 dollars to make, we'd sell each for 1,200 dollars and call them The President's Royal Reserve and make a killing!

Marshallrocks80:
    Well I just got the grand reserves in, and it's a fantastic smoke right out of the tube. You can really taste the cognac, the flavor is really sweet to the taste, but to be honest, if the HMR's are anything like it, I'll stick to the grand reserves. The flavor gets a bit mundane after a while. It won't be my go to cigar, but it's a welcome change of pace and affordable when I want it. No third rail for me!!!
    lol, pretty much.
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    ...crazy
    like your not curious...
    My dad watched the effects of that first hand years ago, he brings it up every now and again.
    Yikes...What are the odds I'd pick that one horrible thing that someone has born witness to. All kidding aside, I don't even want to imagine something like that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    ...crazy
    like your not curious...
    not $700 worth of curious.

heck, not even $250 worth.

all that for a cigar that probably doesnt even taste good. if im in to cigars for the flavor of pure tobacco, why would i ever want to pay too much for an infused cigar?
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    ...crazy
    like your not curious...
    Yikes...What are the odds I'd pick that one horrible thing that someone has born witness to. All kidding aside, I don't even want to imagine something like that.
    yup, as a kid growing up in the 40-50's in New York my dad did and saw a lot of "things"...
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:

.....still wanna try one

Hell, i hope i'm in the position one day TO plunk down 750 for a cigar because i was curious.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    They are going for $400 right now....
  • JFJF Posts: 54
    alienmisprint:
    They are going for $400 right now....

Wow, they're practically giving them away.................
  • They should do a five pack deal of the day!
  • SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Hmmm, 5 HMRs for approx $1500...why wait?! and if you puchase 2 additional, the entire order will ship free! Ganga!!
  • DruskiDruski Posts: 2
    I haven't seen a good answer to the original question. Has anyone compared the two; and if so, what are your thoughts?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Druski:
    I haven't seen a good answer to the original question. Has anyone compared the two; and if so, what are your thoughts?
    Pretty sure no one on the boards has been crazy enough to drop anywhere from 220 to 750$ on one stick, so the answer to your question is: No one here has compared them yet.

And if I had enough money to drop that much on one stick, I'd at least buy something useful first, like a solid gold backscratcher or just pay Seth McFarlane to follow me around and narrate my life in Stewie's voice.
    Garen B:
    ... or just pay Seth McFarlane to follow me around and narrate my life in Stewie's voice.
    that would get old faster than you think.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    betasynn:

.....still wanna try one

Hell, i hope i'm in the position one day TO plunk down 750 for a cigar because i was curious.
    Exactly, HMR is for people to whom money is not an issue. I'd happily plunk it down to try an HMR if I had more money than I knew what to do with - not with the expectation that it would be the best cigar I'd had, but just so I could say I had.