Home Cigar 101

Fumas

sdipsdip Posts: 406

Guys:

Can anyone explain what the term Fumas means when it comes to a cigar. I got some Gran Habano 3 Siglos Fumas. They are good, but my impression is that they are a cut below the regular 3 Siglos. I have now noticed this term with a few other brands and each seems to be less expensive than their other brands.

Thx

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, unless I am mistaken (and this is entirely possible) I believe the word would originate from the Spanish verb Fumar, meaning to smoke. Fumas would be the second-person conjugation of said verb, Fumas meaning "you smoke". Now, if this is the correct meaning, I can't say for sure as it doesn't seem to make much sense in the context other than cigars being something you smoke.

Well, there's my two years of high school Spanish hard at work :)

Joe
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    all that.
    i also think that in that particular case its just a name of the cigar. like in the sancho panza line there is the "Madrid"
  • sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Thx guys. My sense is that it connotates an "economy" line of product, but the Gran Habano I smoked was excellent and a great value.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Way to go big brain Joe, See higher education does pay off !! I took Greek in H.S. and used it exactly, let me see NEVER..! Excellent explanation.. Regardless it is a nice cigar...What the hell are you doing up at 4:00 am anyway
    kaspera79:
    Way to go big brain Joe, See higher education does pay off !! I took Greek in H.S. and used it exactly, let me see NEVER..! Excellent explanation.. Regardless it is a nice cigar...What the hell are you doing up at 4:00 am anyway
    LoL. It was only 2 something am, I'm on the west coast. Past that, I've no idea what I was doing up so late.

Joe
  • kaspera79:
    You say that like there's something wrong with it. Then again my sleep schedule is all FUBAR'd to hell and back, and I regularly stay up all night if I have to go in to work early because if I don't I go comatose and end up being an hour late... then I drink twice the healthy daily limit of caffeine in order to stay awake.

Don't judge me! Stick out tongue [:P]
    Okay there is nothing wrong with staying up all night , I get up every morning at 4: a.m. to go to work. The post time just caught my eye 3:54 a.m. And was wondering which side you were on Stay up late or early to rise. Usually stay up late has better stories to tell...
    P.S. Red Bull and Monster work for me as I like my caffeine cold..
    I hear ya on that one kaspera. For some odd reason, I'm usually on the "stay up late" and "get up early" crew.... and I'll be damned if I've got any stories to tell, interesting or otherwise :) . I love my rocket fuel in a can as well, a Monster or Rockstar is my preference, gets me up and running.
    i try and stay away from energy drinks. that way if i NEED one it will work even better. I usually stay away from caffeen even. Its amazing what a good diet will do for you.

...yes im one of 4 people in the world that dont like coffee either.
    I heard that Red Bull and a Snicker Bar is the cornerstone of every good breakfast.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Aw, hellz no! You gotta get a Pop-Tart in there. It's nature's most perfect food!
    kaspera79:
    I heard that Red Bull and a Snicker Bar is the cornerstone of every good breakfast.
    A while back, I worked with a guy who used that formula to get us to work overtime. He'd disappear to the nearest gas station and come back with a bunch of monsters and snicker bars... and I'll be damned if we didn't give him at least a few extra hours :) If that guy didn't choose being an Electrician as his career, he would have been a great salesman... could have sold ice to the Eskimos.

Joe
    urbino:
    Aw, hellz no! You gotta get a Pop-Tart in there. It's nature's most perfect food!
    no no no...reeces cups are !
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i try and stay away from energy drinks. that way if i NEED one it will work even better. I usually stay away from caffeen even. Its amazing what a good diet will do for you.

...yes im one of 4 people in the world that dont like coffee either.

I'm one of the other 4. The pick on me everytime at the B&M I'm usually the only one standing there with a water.
    good water is (i think) the best drink for cigars.
    I like coffee, but water is definitely my preferred drink with a cigar.
    urbino:
    I like coffee, but water is definitely my preferred drink with a cigar.
    im not a huge cameroon guy when it comes to cigars but i hear that cameroon wrappers go well with coffee... more so than most cigars.
    Interesting. I'll definitely have to try that, since I'm a Hemingway guy.
    urbino:
    Interesting. I'll definitely have to try that, since I'm a Hemingway guy.
    classic combo: Kona and a short story.
    I'm not a huge Kona fan, but might like it better in combination with a Hemingway.
    i really wouldnt know. I dont drink coffee at all. everyone i know that likes both though, says its a great combo.
  • j0z3r:
    I love my rocket fuel in a can as well, a Monster or Rockstar is my preference, gets me up and running.
    LOL There's actually an energy drink called Chinese Rocket Fuel. We had it at a deli I worked at a few years ago, but I've never seen it anywhere else. Monster is my favorite so far, though... all hail the BFC.
    kuzi16:
    i try and stay away from energy drinks. that way if i NEED one it will work even better. I usually stay away from caffeen even.
    I tried being caffeine free for a while. It didn't work. I made it for a while... then I started my new job. It's hard finding the energy to explain things like putting new cartridges in a printer, that should be intuition from when they learned to match shapes and colors in 1st grade, to people that make 10x more than I do. Although that's a rant for another forum, I suppose.

Also, speaking of energy drinks and coffee... the new Monster coffee is the ultimate coffee. I'm just waiting for them to put that one out in a BFC.
    Ubino.. Pop tarts are considered Health Food with all the fruit and healthy ingredients in there, just like a jelly donut. Look at the new food pyramid they are on it..
    Of course. It took me several years of lobbying to make that happen, but I finally got the government to see sense. I mean, 8 essential vitamins and minerals -- how much healthier can it get? Some insurance plans even cover them as medicinal.
    Your hard work has paid off and all of mankind is grateful to you and your efforts
    Gratitude is very, well, gratifying and all, but I also take cash -- if you smell what I'm stepping in.
    Why is it that every thread on here lately take an odd sometimes disturbing twist at the end? LMAO Just look at my Sam Leccia thread ... we went from a cigar event to everything that is wrong with america in less than 3 pages.
    Yeah, that was a pretty twisted road and I can see a lot more bends ahead. Last I checked it was back on cigars but the day is long. Who knows where we will end up.
    I just gave it a new twist lol