Home Non Cigar Related

Wineador - but my cooler is broke!

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys. I want to get a wineador up and running. I have this Kenmore Elite one (http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-elite-38-bottle-dual-zone-wine-cellar/p-04699130000P?vName=Kitchen&cName=Refrigerators+&+Freezers&sName=Wine+Cellars&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1)

bought it 5 years ago and about half a year ago it crapped out on me. Meaning, you can still hear the compressor running but the cooler doesn't stay cool anymore. Any idea what is causing this? Any handyman out there? I got Sears coming over this weekend to take a look but they're charging me $75 just to come look at it (thank you Sears, I heart you). Thanks feller dellers.

Comments

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    If the compressor is running, but not getting cool I would suspect it is out of refrigerant (probably r134). It is probably leaking, and the leak will have to be repaired and then refilled with refrigerant. just a guess (but probably a good one)
    Hey I thought you asians were supposed to be technically savy....
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    hahah. thanks man. Have any idea how much this will cost for parts and labor (ballpark)? btw - we are just good at mental knowledge. Can't do well w/ mi hands. It's funny b/c I'm from missourah
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    hahah. I am just mental and well w/ my hands.
    Great, this is all we need on the boards..........A crazy Asian masseuse.........
    bandyt09:
    jliu:
    Great, this is all we need on the boards..........A crazy Asian masseuse.........
    Is this a hint? Want me to bring my supplies to the next socal herf? I have bang bang lotion. simpole massage. thirty foh fiftee.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Is this a thermal electric wineador. I heard the compressor wineadors are bad for cigars. I recommend scratching the compressor and get a thermal electric.
    i'm unsure if it is... I checked out the link I provided in my first first and didn't find anything. Anyway to find out for sure? I'd love to get this thing up and running again...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It may be easier to just buy a replacement motor off ebay
    jliu:
    i'm unsure if it is... I checked out the link I provided in my first first and didn't find anything. Anyway to find out for sure? I'd love to get this thing up and running again...
    I think all the wineadors on this site are thermo electric. They are usually pretty cheap..around $200. http://wineadors.com/
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    djbeenie:
    Is this a thermal electric wineador. I heard the compressor wineadors are bad for cigars. I recommend scratching the compressor and get a thermal electric.
    I turned a compressor cooled wine fridge into a wineador recently. It works great, I've never had better well kept cigars like I do now.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    jliu:
    Couldn't resist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12tce-THLUE
    bigfnsteve:
    bandyt09:
    jliu:
    Couldn't resist
    Oh no you didn't Steve lol
    hahah. I just might revisit this movie this weekend
    Smokindaddy:
    djbeenie:
    I turned a compressor cooled wine fridge into a wineador recently. It works great, I've never had better well kept cigars like I do now.
    phew. I feel more assured now. project is on!
    I would try top find a good appliance repair shop around you instead of Sears. Sears just has a contract with a local appliance repair place anyways, they don't actually have repair personnel themselves, (this is true around me not sure about everywhere) Take the fridge in and ask them if it is a good idea to repair the one you have or if it is crap and you should get another one. The repair costs totally depend on where the leak is(the leak is just a guess) If you are good at bartering, maybe wear a wig and a nice mini skirt and trade wineador repairs for a nice massage with your bang bang lotion...
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    djbeenie:
    The Problem with Compressor wine coolers is that it spikes the temp and RH low when it compresses. It will then level off for awhile until it turns back on. This can shock your cigars. Thermoelectric does not do this. I had a compressor once (newbie learns from mistakes), and I sold it to get a thermoelectric. I got the NewAir from CA for about $200 bucks. The shelves cost another $195. Those shelves from http://wineadors.com/newair.html just rock!
    Smokindaddy:
    bigfnsteve:
    bandyt09:
    jliu:
    Couldn't resist
    Oh no you didn't Steve lol
    Great movie! :)
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Jiunn, keep us posted man. And I know I shouldn't bring it up . . . . but pics would be nice.
    djbeenie:
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    djbeenie:
    The Problem with Compressor wine coolers is that it spikes the temp and RH low when it compresses. It will then level off for awhile until it turns back on. This can shock your cigars. Thermoelectric does not do this. I had a compressor once (newbie learns from mistakes), and I sold it to get a thermoelectric. I got the NewAir from CA for about $200 bucks. The shelves cost another $195. Those shelves from http://wineadors.com/newair.html just rock!
    The spike your talking about in the compressor cooled fridges only effects the atmosphere RH. If you are using cedar cigar boxes for storage they have their own atmosphere inside the boxes that is kept at perfect RH even during the spike. I have tested this many times in many different boxes at many different levels and areas inside the fridge. Now if your leaving your sticks out in the open or using the drawers and shelves from wineadors.com then yes, your cigars will be effected in a compressor cooled unit. Yes, the shelves and drawers from wineadors.com are nice but in my opinion I can fit more cigars in the 16 boxes I use for storage then using a system like drawers and shelves. I also have room for many more boxes.
    *Petey*:
    Jiunn, keep us posted man. And I know I shouldn't bring it up . . . . but pics would be nice.
    Will do man. I got awesome-o Jason (smokingdaddy) helping me out every single step of the way. Man, you folks on here are amazing. I tear up.
    jliu:
    *Petey*:
    Will do man. I got awesome-o Jason (smokingdaddy) helping me out every single step of the way. Man, you folks on here are amazing. I tear up.
    Almost there, almost there, you will have one up and running in no time. Really excited for you!!
    Smokindaddy:
    jliu:
    *Petey*:
    Almost there, almost there, you will have one up and running in no time. Really excited for you!!
    Hope so man. My cigars deserve the best casa de snoob
    Smokindaddy:
    jliu:
    *Petey*:
    Hope so man. My cigars deserve the best casa de snoob