Home Cigar 101

Soggy Bottoms

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here I thought I was really starting to feel the burn, and now all of a sudden I have soggy bottoms. The last few cigars, different types, sizes, and brands, all got soggy and put themselves out with plenty nub left. I did recently put a humidor into service. Calibrated the hygrometer and have the box running around 68%. But yesterday, I dropped by the B&M for a box of Cusano Xclusivo perfectos, whipped one out fresh from the walk in humi room all boxed, and the box was wrapped in cello, so humidity was none of my doing... and the bottom end turned soggy and put itself out with three inches left. Just seems like the wrapper stops burning, the cherry goes flush or craters, the bottom puffs soggy, and there you are, dead in the water. I hate when that happens. It stinks, for one thing; and it happens about an hour in, where you are really in the zone.

What makes a bottom soggy?of which were

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I've never had a cigar get "soggy" but I have had similar issues before. I'll take a guess at this.

First let me ask:
    Do you bite firmly/chew on the cap of the cigar while your smoking?
    Or do you salivate a lot when you smoke and/or always have a drink while you smoke, leaving your lips excessively moist?

I've done both of these above things in the past, and while neither chewing/biting the cap or having drink has never caused a cigar to go out on me, it has left the end/cap of the cigar almost sponge-like and very pliable.
    These may be causing the problem ... but I don't know ... I would think you'd almost have to dunk the cigar in liquid to get it that wet that it goes out.

...so my other guess as to why it's going out is maybe a humidor humidity issue, but with the Cusanos coming from a different humi then that throws off that theory.
    Maybe it's due to the RH of the environment where you're smoking?
    Maybe it's your smoking pace?
    Maybe it's just been a few bum cigars?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the last few have had such yummy wrappers that I probably did salivate on them. But certainly not down to the place where they sogged out.

The weather did change drastically; first hot and hazy over the weekend, then thick and penumbrous last night. But then, that's just summer in the Mid-Atlantic. Way it's gonna be. On the other hand, that describes the tropics, too, where these cigars come from.

Thought I'd mitigated my pace just fine. One of the soggers I was working in the garage and laid it on the workbench, so I could not have been hitting it too hard. In each instance, it burnt along very cheerily until it came to the soggy bottom.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ow fast are you smoking them? Might be a tar issue
    Money can't buy taste
    webmost:
    I probably did salivate on them. But certainly not down to the place where they sogged out.
    Yeah, I'd imagine you'd have to be just slobbering all over them to get the cigars wet enough to affect the burn. So maybe rule that out....
    webmost:
    The weather did change drastically; first hot and hazy over the weekend, then thick and penumbrous last night. But then, that's just summer in the Mid-Atlantic.
    Next time this happens, I'd almost suggest lighting up a second cigar right afterwards...and then if both cigars have the problem back to back, I'd say that would be a compelling argument as the weather/environment RH being the cause of your problem.
    webmost:
    One of the soggers I was working in the garage and laid it on the workbench, so I could not have been hitting it too hard. In each instance, it burnt along very cheerily until it came to the soggy bottom.
    If you were smoking too slowly, I would say that's the reason it's going out ... but that wouldn't explain the "soggy-ness".
    If that's the case, perhaps the "soggy-ness" and burn issues are unrelated.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try dry boxing a stick for a day if the humiditys high outside.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Try dry boxing a stick for a day if the humiditys high outside.
    +1 on this, it usually cures any burn issue I am having!
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I wouls say that you are smoking it too slowly for your outside conditions. I think the cigar is not staying hot enough to stave off the humidity that is coming in to the cigar. I live in a very humid environment (south texas) and I have found that if I blow out a little bit (like a purge but smaller) and then draw in it tends to get more flavors, and alleviates the soggy bottom problem I have had in the past.

Either that or you are deepthroating the bad boy..lol
    Trying your method on this next Cusano Xclusivo right now. Will report back. Man, what a magnificent smoke.

letsgowithbob:
    I wouls say that you are smoking it too slowly for your outside conditions. I think the cigar is not staying hot enough to stave off the humidity that is coming in to the cigar. I live in a very humid environment (south texas) and I have found that if I blow out a little bit (like a purge but smaller) and then draw in it tends to get more flavors, and alleviates the soggy bottom problem I have had in the past.

Either that or you are deepthroating the bad boy..lol

IOU1 cause that works. Tried it last night. Apparently I need to regulate my puffy by how stuffy.

death and Texas

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Glad it worked for you!
    webmost:
    IOU1 cause that works. Tried it last night. Apparently I need to regulate my puffy by how stuffy.

death and Texas

Glad you got if figured out dude.
    Always hate to see a good stick have to end too soon - hopefully this fixes your problems from here on out.