Home Non Cigar Related
Options

DotNetNuke Webhosting ideas?

camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
I'm trying to find a Web Hosting service that will allow me to play with DotNetNuke for free. I did find a couple, but they won't allow me to create customized files (called "skins" and "modules"). They will allow the customizations, but only if I pay them for implementing my files.
I know this is way off topic from cigars, but I'm hopping maybe someone has or knows of a DotNetNuke server that I can play with. I need something that lets me log in as "Host" (think super user) to create portals. The goal is to upload a custom built design/layout that is not part of the "out of the box" application, without spending a lot of money.

I need to make sure it works first, as the old application must be removed BEFORE we go live. Without proper testing, that could be a nightmare.

Any BORKS out ther with that kind of experience? I'm happy to explore all ideas....and yes I've Google'd this to death.

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you thought about setting up a test server on one of your computers?
    Here is a webpage about it. http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum48/2432.htm
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Have you thought about setting up a test server on one of your computers?
    Here is a webpage about it. http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum48/2432.htm
    Thank you.
    Actually, yes it is one of the ideas that we are currently discussing. The funny part is:
    I could replicate their site in a heart beat using standard hosting with just .css and HTML, but noooo..they want to use dotnetnuke.... a bloated replica of Microsoft Visual Studio (their web section only). Their site makes absolutely no use of the .net framework, which is nice if you need it, but silly if you don't.

I will find out in the morning if they will try to set me up with a Virtual Machine that has dotnetnuke installed, or if I'm going to do it all from a home server and test it from one of my other computers. Good thing I'm a computer geek who runs Windows Server 2008R2 just for fun!

Once again, thank you for your idea.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they using a bunch of odd programs or something? Can't understand why they would need dotnetnuke. There are so many better set ups out there.
    Glad my site doesn't require anything like that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Are they using a bunch of odd programs or something? Can't understand why they would need dotnetnuke. There are so many better set ups out there.
    Glad my site doesn't require anything like that.
    This is my first experience with dotnetnuke. They want to get into the .net framework. dotnetnuke lets them give limited control to the customer for editing the modules, uploading images and such, without being able to mess it up.

I could replicate their site in .css and html in just a couple hours and have it ready for upload the second they need it, but that's not how they role. I'm just the summer student on this project. The bonus is that I am gaining valuable experience with stuff they don't teach in college, and the people are nice to work for.