Home Cigar 101

Saving Partial smoked

Wife wants to know if there is a way to save a partially smoked cigar. I am new to the game and she has joined me. We both like the more expensive brands. She can only handle so much smoking and then stops with three fourths left. She does not want to waste the rest. What can she do?

Comments

• In my experiance you can't save a cigar a certain amount of time after it goes out. A few minutes its fine but I think if you come back to it the next day it will taste pretty bad. Others may be able to chime in with better experiance and advice but there's my 2 cents. CK
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Some cigars handle being saved better than others. What i occasionally do if i'm smoking a churchill is i'll let it go out on its own, then clip iff the end about a little less than 1/4" below the burn line then put it in a ziplok bag, maybe with a water pillow. Do not place it in a humi or in with other cigars, the flavors will rub off pretty quickly. After i do that it keeps for a day or two, never really tried keeping it longer than that to be honest. Some cigars relight well, and taste as good as they did before, others, not so much. Depends on the cigar really.

If she cam only handle so much smoke, a better option might be to buy smaller sized cigars such as petite coronas, juniors or mini belicosos. Hope this helps!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Some cigars handle being saved better than others. What i occasionally do if i'm smoking a churchill is i'll let it go out on its own, then clip iff the end about a little less than 1/4" below the burn line then put it in a ziplok bag, maybe with a water pillow. Do not place it in a humi or in with other cigars, the flavors will rub off pretty quickly. After i do that it keeps for a day or two, never really tried keeping it longer than that to be honest. Some cigars relight well, and taste as good as they did before, others, not so much. Depends on the cigar really.

If she cam only handle so much smoke, a better option might be to buy smaller sized cigars such as petite coronas, juniors or mini belicosos. Hope this helps!
    I was about to suggest the smaller smokes. Some examples are the Hemmingway Short story, Rocky Patel Makes little perfectos that are good. My local shop has then in the Vintage 92, 90, sungrown and a couple others.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    id go with the smaller smokes too.
    gurkha makes tins
    cohiba makes tins
    CAO makes tins
    etc...

• jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    +1 with going with smaller smokes (nubs, robustos, etc..). I have a very hard time saving partially smokes cigars. Even if it's only several hours later it never smokes the same and is more bitter, imo. If you do pick up a partially smoke cigar, just be sure to blow through (blow out) the cigar to rid any stale taste that's built up in it.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I've had to put one out early a few times. It's never the same once you re-light, no matter how soon you do it. Just follow the advice these guys have given you, and you should be able maintain a decent smoke though.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Just to parrot back what everyone else is saying, go with a smaller stogie, Nubs are pretty good, aren't too bad on the wallet if she doesn't finish it and if that is still too much, go with tins from the brands that she likes. Also relighting a stogie a day after you let it burn out usually never turns out well, at least in my experience it hasn't.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    if you really want to put in the effort, you could cut the cigars in half, VERY CAREFULLY! They will unravel some, but it can be fixed with fruit pectin (use it as a glue). I imagine relighting a cigar could be tollerable if when it went out, you blow through it real good, and cut the end off. if the humidity in your area is decently high enough, say 55%, leave it out to air out some over night (could packing with baking soda help? not sure). then when you relight it, hold it fireside down for several min, blowing out occasionaly to get it lit. back to the baking soda thing, give it a try! I had a cigar once that had an interesting design printed on the wrapper leaf as an extension to the band so I cut it out. it smelled awfull so I put it in baking soda for a couple days, smelled fine after that. just dont try it with an acid cigar, could make a volcanic reaction (think the old science fair project with vinegar and baking soda!) lol
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    kuzi16:

CAO makes tins

I've tried the tinned CAO Criollos (Pampas) and CAO Criollo Italias (Piccilos). I really enjoyed both of them. Great 20-45 minute smokes and extremely cheap (5 for $10).
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    kuzi16:

CAO makes tins

I've tried the tinned CAO Criollos (Pampas) and CAO Criollo Italias (Piccilos). I really enjoyed both of them. Great 20-45 minute smokes and extremely cheap (5 for $10).

The MX2 Daggers are good too!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Don't forget the 5 Vegas Shorty.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jozer makes a good suggestion. Vegas Golds are really yummy and the shortys are well short.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I usually don't re-light cigars the next day, but if you want to save them, cut all the burnt ( blackened ) remaining tobacco foot, Blow through it, clip the moist head of tar build up, And store it in a plastic bag without a pillow since I have found to much more added moisture will cause the cigar to become swollen and become unpleasant. Really though, smaller cigars, or just let it go.. Fresh is best.
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    A vote for finding the right cigar to smoke.

I don't always, rarely actually, have the time to smoke a Toro or even Robusto so I've added smokes that work for what I have time for.  I have some Rocky Patel '90's in a  petite corona which are a perfect size (although not common to find) and better value than the Perfecto's (although the pefectos is a pretty cool shape).  Also, a corona size is good for a short-ish smoke.   I'm usually shooting for 30-45 minutes.

NUB is a great 30-40 minute smoke as well.

If the cigar is too strong for her and that's why she only makes it to 3/4, it's the wrong cigar.  She's likely missing the sweet spot of the cigar as well.  I feel like you have to be able to smoke the whole thing to really get the whole experience of any cigar.

As I've found, big old stogies aren't usually the ideal pick for most people's normal smoke needs.  I love a Toro every now and then but that's when I'm hanging out with others and have an hour and a half to relax and enjoy it; the whole thing.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'd also add you'd want to purge it before you set it out. Also, I really do think going with the petit corona or a dagger or whatever they're calling the cigarette sized cigars these days might be a good choice.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Jozer makes a good suggestion. Vegas Golds are really yummy and the shortys are well short.
    the shorties are a different blend. they have a cameroon wrapper.
    JKTex:
    what nub are YOU smokin? i havent had a NUB last less than an hour. the 464s are damn near 1hr 40min. ...no ash in the first hour.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JKTex:
    what nub are YOU smokin? i havent had a NUB last less than an hour. the 464s are damn near 1hr 40min. ...no ash in the first hour.

I'm with Kuzi on this ...I have not had a Nub last under an 1 hour and 10-15 minutes ...bro you must be doin' some serious hotboxing
  • 405bench405bench Posts: 36

I try not to light up an "expensive" (>$10/gar) cigar unless I know I have time to smoke it.  I keep a large variety of sizes and robustistness (for lack of a better term) and decide on the smoke based on how much time I have and do I want light, med or bold flavor.  Frankly, If you and your wife prefer the expensive smokes, then I doubt you be liking a day old re-lit cigar.   I use to try it years ago and I never could stand it. 

My advise is get a good variety of the ccomm signiture smokes in the robusto size.  If you can't finnish the last half it's only a buck fifty thrown away.  And they are quality smokes. IMHO   

• burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    CAO VR Mural - A 4.5" maduro with plenty of flavor. Excellent for the beginner or anyone in a time crunch. About a 45 minute smoke.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JKTex:

I'm with Kuzi on this ...I have not had a Nub last under an 1 hour and 10-15 minutes ...bro you must be doin' some serious hotboxing
    Depending on how cold I am when I'm smoking, I can see a Nub lasting about 50 mins to an hour, but 30 to 40 mins? Might be puffing a tad bit too fast Tex.
    405bench:
    I keep a large variety of sizes and robustistness (for lack of a better term)
    "strengths" is the word you are looking for, i believe.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JKTex:

Depending on how cold I am when I'm smoking, I can see a Nub lasting about 50 mins to an hour, but 30 to 40 mins? Might be puffing a tad bit too fast Tex.
    Yea, I'm with all you guys on this one too. First time I had a nub I thought I would be able to smoke it on my lunch break and I was WRONG! I took every minute of my lunch hour, but I couldn't finish the damn thing.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    30 minutes is rather fast at least for me. about an 1 hour or maybe 45 minutes depending on how far I'll smoke it down too.
  • samijxsamijx Posts: 6
    Somebody already mentioned to cut them in half prior to lighting up.  I had the same thought, but would add......if you bought perfecto shape, then you would have a nice cap on both ends.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    samijx:
    Somebody already mentioned to cut them in half prior to lighting up.  I had the same thought, but would add......if you bought perfecto shape, then you would have a nice cap on both ends.
    I like your style.