Home Ratings & Reviews

Wineador or monolith 1200

I kow Alex said he was setting up one of these in his office a while ago, and I kow some forum members bought the monilith temp/humidity controlled humidors, I am just trying to figure out how these are lasting, and if you would still recommend them. I am looking at either getting one of these or making a wineador..just trying to see how anyone feels about this.

Alex, how is yours holding up?

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a wineadore and I like it a lot plus in my eyes you can make it how e er you want so that helps too!
    Money can't buy taste
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    What brand do you have? I have been looking at the new air's. I'm thinking between a 28-34 bottle would be good. One of the things I am worried about with a wineador it the thermoelectric wineadors seem to only work for a few years (according to the reviews I have read) I basically don't want to be spending 2-400 every 2 years. I really want to temp control my cigars. I pretty much need it because it's HOT down here. Do you have any pictures? I'm very interested in your experiences.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I can tell you this about mine. It is great at keeping the temp within 2 degrees of where you set it. However it can not bring rH up or down. I have 3 other hygros in there. One on the first shelf, 3rd and 5th. The unit itself will say 85%, the 1st shelf will say ~70something, the middle will say 60 and the bottom will say ~77 something. However there are times when it really is say much higher than it should be and setting it to say 67% doesn't make the rH go down nor does it bring it up if it is low and I raise it to 70%. My only option it to put my dehumifier infront of the unit with the door open to bring the rH down. I understand that there is going to be a fluctuation between the top and bottom of the unit but it is huge. Also, sometimes when it does say 85% the bottom hygro is also up there hence having to open and run the dehumidifier. What I like about it is the temp part. Because at least I know that if I am having rH problems I can bring the temp down to hopefully ofset and potential issues.
    Appreciate the info, I'm guessing you were one of the ones that bought the monolith? That sucks about the rh if it's the monolith, I guess my question for you is If you had to do it all over again, would you purchasae the monolith or a wineador?
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the monolith and love it. There are some pros and cons, but overall am very happy with the monolith. I would get it again. If you want to know the pros and cons pm me.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually just bought a cuisinart... But what a lot of people don't realize is they are easy to fix! It's usually the fans that go so if your just a little handy it's a quick fix! I really wouldn't be worried but only go for thermoelectric
    Money can't buy taste
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    letsgowithbob:
    Appreciate the info, I'm guessing you were one of the ones that bought the monolith? That sucks about the rh if it's the monolith, I guess my question for you is If you had to do it all over again, would you purchasae the monolith or a wineador?
    Since I am not handy I'm not sure. If I had a wineador I would just end up putting boxes in. I wouldn't make shelves or anything. I have a lot of singles so the built in shelves help a lot. I really wanted a nice cabinet but due to temps in my house on the second floor I was better off with the monolith. Even though I put the monolith on the first floor where temps are cooler. If I got the cabinet it would have been upstairs as a piece of furniture. It would have looked out of place upstairs IMHO.
    appreciate all the info from everyone, I'll have to make a decision soon as the temps are climbing.