Home General Discussion
Options

Digital Cigar Dossier for android[Possibly iPhone]

2»

Comments

• Options
    woodymanwoodyman Posts: 39
    Thanks! that is odd, I remember when I initially put up the thread I didn't have to do that.. O well, thanks for the tip!
    0patience:
    woodyman:
    Sorry about the change in formating on the first post, after my update/edit when I hit saved it seemed to have wiped it out to some extent. But when I click 'Edit' the formatting is all present.. Guessing a ccom issue? anyone know?
    You have to make your "page breaks" in html to do line breaks on this forum. For some reason, the formatting doesn't automatically break the lines when you hit "enter".
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    going to have to give this one a shot. I will let you know how it works for me in a few days. Nice work BTW...thanks
  • Options
    Want to take a second and thank anyone from here who has purchased the app the last few days, If you did purchase you should have also got an email from me shortly after your purchase. Thank you guys!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodyman
    I've been using RateMyCigar for every stick. I think it would be a great paradigm for your app. I suggest you run through it thoroughly to find all the wealth of features hidden beneath menus and settings. Here are the things I would change or add:

- I would certainly change from a five star rating system to a numerical rating system. Five stars with half stars only provides ten gradations.
    - There's a slot to input "origin". I have been using that slot for country of origin. It would be useful to have a slot for country and another for where you got the stick. e.g Nicaragua and Steve's Smoke Shop.
    - As I burn thru a stick, I add comments, an image, etc. Each time I do, I update the record to save my changes. Each time I update, I am automagically returned to the cigar list. Then I have to select the cigar again to complete the next step in my eval. This is counter productive. I want to stay on the current entry until I am done with it, and only return to the list when I am ready to return to the list.
    - As I smoke thru an eval, I will frequently hit the innernet for details such as what's the ring gauge of this, or what did others say about it, or etc. To do that, I have to leave the app and open my browser then enter the cigar in google. It would be handy if you could hit a button and the app would google up whatever you input for cigar name and shape and open the results in a browser window appearing in a frame right in the app.

Hope this helps.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Thank you for taking the time for the short write up, I appreciate it!

I've considered doing the numerical rating scale, but wasn't sure which one the users would prefer, there is no reason for both the numerical from 0 - 100 and then a 5 star scale, so this change I will have to research more first and see which one the users would prefer..

If anyone else in the CCOM community has something to say about this feature please post your feedback/thoughts on it, it will help me come to a better conclusion!

I will add the input slot for where the cigar was purchased, I've been planning to add that slot along with slots for food/drink pairing, as well as updating the comments section to include a slot for pre-smoke, during-smoke, and after-smoke..

Are those other slots I mentioned welcomed additions or do you feel they are unneeded?

Currently my app does the same, when you 'save' your cigar it returns you to the list, I can update it so it will stay on the 'edit' cigar screen, but for the initial 'add' after you click save it has to return back to the list, otherwise if it stays in the 'add' screen if you edit something and click 'save' again it will add the edits as a new cigar and not as edits to the one you saved earlier.. so you end up with 2 or 3 different but similar entries if you stay in the 'add' screen and update the cigar. However, on the edit screen you can change and edit things as much as you want and each time you hit save it saves it over the current cigar and does not create a new one.. So I can update the edit screen to stay on the cigar even after 'save' is pressed...
    The reason behind this is when save is pressed in the 'add' screen it creates a new database entry. When you open a cigar from the 'view' screen and select 'edit' it opens that specific database entry and allows you to save over it multiple times if you want..
    I hope you understand, I can partially change the app for you in this regard and the next update will be setup so you can stay on the 'edit' screen after clicking to 'view' and 'edit' a cigar in the current list!

I will work on implementing and adding your internet request, i'm not sure how soon it will get into the app, but I have added it the list of requests and features I currently have, and i'll keep you posted about it!

Thanks again for your feedback!

woody
    webmost:
    Woodyman
    I've been using RateMyCigar for every stick. I think it would be a great paradigm for your app. I suggest you run through it thoroughly to find all the wealth of features hidden beneath menus and settings. Here are the things I would change or add:

- I would certainly change from a five star rating system to a numerical rating system. Five stars with half stars only provides ten gradations.
    - There's a slot to input "origin". I have been using that slot for country of origin. It would be useful to have a slot for country and another for where you got the stick. e.g Nicaragua and Steve's Smoke Shop.
    - As I burn thru a stick, I add comments, an image, etc. Each time I do, I update the record to save my changes. Each time I update, I am automagically returned to the cigar list. Then I have to select the cigar again to complete the next step in my eval. This is counter productive. I want to stay on the current entry until I am done with it, and only return to the list when I am ready to return to the list.
    - As I smoke thru an eval, I will frequently hit the innernet for details such as what's the ring gauge of this, or what did others say about it, or etc. To do that, I have to leave the app and open my browser then enter the cigar in google. It would be handy if you could hit a button and the app would google up whatever you input for cigar name and shape and open the results in a browser window appearing in a frame right in the app.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    Had not thought about a food selection. Never eat while smoking. But maybe some do.

Simply save the new database entry, get the record id, then open the same entry as an edit.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Woodyman

You still at this project?

• Options
    Nope, just swamped with plenty to do and not enough time to do everything! I updated the market versions to show the cigar name, rating, and image in the 'My Dossier' section.. So now when you see your cigar list it looks a lot better... As for your requests I hope you can be satisfied with having to click on that entry at least once. I've changed it so when save it stays on the cigar screen, but on the initial save it returns to the list. I've also added an input for a rating between 0 and 100 for you, and but ive opted to keep the 5 star rating as well because it is a simple concept for most to understand. So for the more seasoned veterans like yourself should enjoy the ability or further control over your ratings, and the beginners will be able to do something they understand as well. Also added an input for food pairing, and one for drink pairing! It's just rough sometimes keeping up so I'm sorry about the delay. Have 6 new apps I'm still working on adding and building features along with other things for the development team I run, and personal obligations.. It's working out ok, and I have no complaints, but things slow down every once in awhile.. If you need imediate replies from me email is always the best option, just for future reference..
    webmost:
    Woodyman

You still at this project?
  • Options
    I know just what you mean. I have been swamped to the max all week, and the weekend hasn't slowed down either.

Got a good laugh out of "more seasoned veterans like yourself". I am a raw noob.

• Options
    Just an update, like I said those new features are added, I've just messing around and playing with different rating systems, and I've decided to go with the version cigar affectionado uses... so I will make final changes to the scale tomorrow and should upload it.. the reason for the delay is I've been doing some traveling.. so a cross country flight wore me out and I took a few days off. Today has been my first day working on android related stuff since Friday.. so ill keep you posted on the update and when its live
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I downloaded your app. Haven't had time to mess with it yet though. Maybe this weekend.
  • Options
    Thanks for checking it out man, I remember your name from the email I sent after you purchased! :)
    JHewey:
    I downloaded your app. Haven't had time to mess with it yet though. Maybe this weekend.
  • Options
    Well had a setback as you can probably tell, between traveling, and visiting with family and what not over the past few days, I didn't have nearly enough time to actually fix the UI for the app, finally I got a chance to sit down today, and I spent a good 2.5/3 hours updating the rating system, fixing code so it behaves like it should, and everything in between.. So I'm happy to say the rating system is setup as follows:

Appearance: 0 - 15 points
    Flavor: 0 - 25 points
    Smoking: 0 - 25 points
    Overall: 0 - 25 points

This is the system used by Cigar Aficionado, so I figured it would be one of the best ways to setup the new rating system..

If you guys would like a different system, I can change/tweak the current setup, and that will be fairly simple to do in the future, now that the base is all setup and functioning..

But currently I would like yours guys import on the actual rating guidelines.. meaning what a cigar needs to get a 15/15, 25/25, etc. in the ratings.. or even base lines for the ratings in order for me to get more input for the 'Tools' section of the app..

I plan to put this base line type guide in the tools section for people who may not know how or have never rated cigars on a more dynamic scale like the new one in the app..

so any input is appreciated!

I will be doing some final testing with the app, and making sure it upgrades the database and everything else with no errors.. this way no one will experience any problems when upgrading the app on their device!

Thank you all for the support!!

(PS. I'll also update the original post, with the new features and tools after the update goes live)
  • Options
    Woodyman

Let us know when your final testing is done and I will go score one. I assume this is the one at googleplay linked from droidconcepts named Cigar Box.

I guess you know that your web site sucks donkey dongs. Front page basically says: "Nothing to see here folks. Move along." And the color! Cheezuz Aitch! You need a web guy to do some work there?

Thinking of hobbying around with making a droid app myself. Got the JDK SE, the SDK, and Eclipse installed on this Debian box. Fooling with examples this weekend. Shot you a PM on the subject the other day.

p.s. Do they call you woodyman or are you just glad to see Juin?

• Options
    Final testing should be done very soon, then I'll update you on release info.. And yes it is the one named Cigar Box lol, yep its in the face lift phase.. Wanted to give the site an update and new look, so I cleared my theme, and now just need to setup a new one.. The old dark grey was starting to get to me! I'll PM you about a web guy. I missed the notification for the PM.. Usually when I check the forums I'm mobile so I don't always pay close attention to the details, but I'll check it and reply now, and I can help you out with some Android work! lol and yes they call me woodyman!
    webmost:
    Woodyman

Let us know when your final testing is done and I will go score one. I assume this is the one at googleplay linked from droidconcepts named Cigar Box.

I guess you know that your web site sucks donkey dongs. Front page basically says: "Nothing to see here folks. Move along." And the color! Cheezuz Aitch! You need a web guy to do some work there?

Thinking of hobbying around with making a droid app myself. Got the JDK SE, the SDK, and Eclipse installed on this Debian box. Fooling with examples this weekend. Shot you a PM on the subject the other day.

p.s. Do they call you woodyman or are you just glad to see Juin?

• Options
    Just published update on the Google Play Store, new version number 1.4.0.. If you have the app you should get an update soon! Version 1.4.0 ---------------- > Add 'Food Pairing' Input field > Add 'Drink Pairing' Input field > Add new Cigar Rating system, one used by Cigar Aficionado > Move location of '# In Humidor' input field, under 'Price' input field.