Home Non Cigar Related

Look what I'm smoking today

Been going at this for about 8 hours now... couple more to go and they'll be done!
-Robert

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks really good. Is it pork?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    Yes... 2 pork butts, just shredded one of them with a fork... have the home made Carolina style BBQ sauce ready to go.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yum!!
    oops, drooled on my keyboard. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    A man after my own heart.
    Smoked meat, any meat, is A worthy endeavor.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Dang, that looks very good! I'm cooking some baby back ribs for tomorrow? Love spending time over the grill cooking those....
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Do you guys do this low and slow over a charcoal grill? How much charcoal do you put in and how many hours does it take?
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    Do you guys do this low and slow over a charcoal grill? How much charcoal do you put in and how many hours does it take?
    Check this thread out...everyone does it differently.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/346547.aspx

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Mouth watering for sure
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    You just went over to Phils and bought it didn't you? And just laid it on your grill. Don't lie to me.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Lookin pretty tasty,, Love me some pulled pork,, you use apple????
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    use to use pecan, mesquite, hickory to smoke, tried applewood once and all i ever use now, i dont have a big smoker, a small pit i use charcol and put chunks of applewood on it before i add the meat, not really smoking but flavors just as good, wish i had a big smoker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Wow, that looks fantastic bro. What are you pairing with that?
    This is my smoker

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I believe you should send that slab over here to me in order to help "combat" the taliban, just a thougt.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks great, i like pulled pok sammiches
    To answer the folks who had questions on how I do my smoke, here goes...

I do a traditional "Carolina Style" pulled pork. You can get away with using typical indigenous hardwoods native to the local area for the style/type BBQ you want to mimic.
    North Carolina has many acceptable wood species... Oak, Hickory, Pecan, Apple etc...
    I used Hickory for these butts

I start the grill with about 30 charcoal briquettes in the fire box, and once these are nice and hot I add a couple or 3 chunks of hickory that has been soaking in water overnight.

Once the smoke box gets to about 225-250 degrees, i'll toss the meet in.
    I usually calculate about 1 hour 30 mins per pound, and will not open the smoke box until half that time has elapsed.
    Basically if I calculate 8 hours, at 4 hours i'll flip it... 2 hours later flip again, 1 hour later flip and check internal temps.
    If the temps are good I'll pull it off early, if not, i'll check on it every half hour till the temps get to what I want them

As far as how much charcoal... it will typically take me a whole bag to do one 8-9 hour smoke session. The key is to watch the temperature, make sure the smoke box stays btwn your 225-250 range. If the fire needs more charcoal or wood... add it. If it starts getting to hot, restrict the airflow coming in from the side.

The hardest thing about smoking meat is the prep, and getting up early on a weekend to start the smoker.

If anyone else has any questions please ask... i'll do what I can to answer you

-Robert
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tutorial bro, looks delicious!!!