Home Ratings & Reviews

5 Vegas Gold Maduro (Box Press) Review

I first purchased a 5 pack of these back in 2010... I did the typical thing of giving them a week in the humidor and tried one... I hated it.
I figured I would give it a few months and try it again. I still hated it.
Last night, after two years in my humidor, I decided to try another one.
Well, to put it bluntly, I absolutely still hate it.
Basically here is the run down.
Very harsh... from the beginning down to about half way when I eventually gave up on it, It had a very acidic harsh flavor in the back of my throat
Smoke wasn't very flavorful
Basically, this cigar felt like work to smoke. I wanted to finish it to give a decent review, but just couldn't bring myself to choke it all down.
I know some others will disagree with me, but I guess you can say to each their own.

-Robert

Comments

• WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Odd you bring this up because last night, while outside I was trying to enjoy one myself. I got a 5 pack as well, they have been sitting in my humidor for about a month now. Mine tunneled horrible and I had to babysit it until I got it to the nub. Flavor wise...MEH. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one. The ash was bad, not very strong. I had a JdN after it, thinking there might be something going on with my humidor but I had a perfect smoke with it....so idk. I never had any of the 5 vegas, and i figured I like maduros, why not try? Seemed to be a bust. I'll leave the other 4 in my humidor for awhile and try again.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i feel your pain... and i bought a ten pack, lol, tried em 4 times in the last 3 months and they all sucked. i had construction issues with all but one, and its the only 5v ive had that i didnt like.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I haven't had anything from 5 Vegas I would buy! For the money there are far superior sticks out there! For the money and time I'd rather have a padron thousand series!! Cheaper and much better quality and with age far better!
    Money can't buy taste
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Honestly I haven't had anything from 5 Vegas I would buy! For the money there are far superior sticks out there! For the money and time I'd rather have a padron thousand series!! Cheaper and much better quality and with age far better!
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    Lee.mcglynn:

LOL... and 5 vegas gets a lot of hype... The brand really appealed to me when i first started smoking

-Robert
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    interpim:
    I first purchased a 5 pack of these back in 2010... I did the typical thing of giving them a week in the humidor and tried one... I hated it.
    I figured I would give it a few months and try it again. I still hated it.
    Last night, after two years in my humidor, I decided to try another one.
    Well, to put it bluntly, I absolutely still hate it.
    Basically here is the run down.
    Very harsh... from the beginning down to about half way when I eventually gave up on it, It had a very acidic harsh flavor in the back of my throat
    Smoke wasn't very flavorful
    Basically, this cigar felt like work to smoke. I wanted to finish it to give a decent review, but just couldn't bring myself to choke it all down.
    I know some others will disagree with me, but I guess you can say to each their own.

-Robert
    Without question my LEAST favorite 5Vegas - by a wide margin - probably the ONLY one I dislike.
    I'll have to revisit them again, as it's been almost a year since I had one....... I have some torpedos with about 6 months on them, and from the sounds of your review, they ain't gettin any better!.

Lee.mcglynn:
    Cheaper? I must not know where to buy Padrons, cause I never see them under $2/each.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 5 Vegas classic and gold but wouldn't give two spits and a nosebleed for the gold Maduro.

And, Kingofthecove, you'll have to PM me with your source of $2 Padrons, please? Thanks,
    jlmarta:
    And, Kingofthecove, you'll have to PM me with your source of $2 Padrons, please? Thanks,
    heh heh.......secret......................not really....one of the posters above was commenting that Padrons are cheaper, and all I was saying is that I've never seen them for under $2..........
    I often find decent 5Vegas for as low as $1.17/ea, and I'm usually able to score even the top-of-the-line 5Vegas for $2/ea (during winter)........
    I've never seen any Padron 1000 series under $3, and rarely under $4, even at box prices..........
    Now for me, there are several cigars I'd rather smoke, that I can get for $4 to $5, than a Padron 1000 series......but that's just me.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooopsie! I totally misread that, didn't I? Solly, Chollie......
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I have always been a fan of the gold maduros...not the box but just the regular Toros. I have never had a problem with them at all.
    KingoftheCove:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Cheaper? I must not know where to buy Padrons, cause I never see them under $2/each.
    If you want something under $2 a stick.... Well you get what you pay for!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Well you're right about that!
    In addition to virtually every 5Vegas, here's just a sampling of smokes that I get regularly for $2/ea or less.
    Diesel Umlimited DX
    La Herencia Cubana CORE Toro
    Man O' War Ruination Robusto #1
    La Herencia Cubana Salomon
    La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 Natural
    Man O’ War Ruination Robusto
    Diesel Unlimited d.5
    E.P. Carillo Club 52
    LHC Oscuro Fuerte Toro
    Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Many consider these to be yard gars, but they suit my simplistic palette just fine, especially at $2 and under.
    And several from this list I prefer to the Padron 1000 series anyways, at half the cost or less.
    The beauty of our hobby......................finding gems that fit your wallet and palette.

KingoftheCove:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Well you're right about that!
    In addition to virtually every 5Vegas, here's just a sampling of smokes that I get regularly for $2/ea or less.
    Diesel Umlimited DX
    La Herencia Cubana CORE Toro
    Man O' War Ruination Robusto #1
    La Herencia Cubana Salomon
    La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 Natural
    Man O’ War Ruination Robusto
    Diesel Unlimited d.5
    E.P. Carillo Club 52
    LHC Oscuro Fuerte Toro
    Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Many consider these to be yard gars, but they suit my simplistic palette just fine, especially at $2 and under.
    And several from this list I prefer to the Padron 1000 series anyways, at half the cost or less.
    The beauty of our hobby......................finding gems that fit your wallet and palette.

Wow well I need your hook up then cause some of those sticks are good but can't find them for that price
    Money can't buy taste
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    I've been wanting to try some of the Diesel's... But for some reason I find an excuse to pass until next time LOL
    interpim:
    I've been wanting to try some of the Diesel's... But for some reason I find an excuse to pass until next time LOL
    A Diesel UHC with some time on it (6+ months) is a VERY nice smoke.....learned that quite a while ago from RampMonkey..........in fact...........he turned me into Diesel ho......
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Wow well I need your hook up then cause some of those sticks are good but can't find them for that price
    PM sent........
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    If you are seriously getting a few of those bramds under 2 per stick REGULARLY that's impressive. Even bidding I pay a bit more. Particularly LHC core, MOW Ruination. I had a steal of a deal on Core Robos and got a box for 80 bucks but haven't seen less(including the box which is beauty].
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I bought a 5 Vegas box press sampler and all of them were absolutely disgusting, only cigar I stopped half through and threw it in the trash. That said, I had a 5 vegas LE 2011 last night that was really good.
  • RoosterTXRoosterTX Posts: 16
    Just a follow up on this thread. I bought a ten pack of these things on CigarSprint and I am completely disappointed. Well I am new to cigars, I have never seen as many cigars with such poor quality rolls and burn issues as I've seen with these. Flavor wasn't bad but the burn issues just make these impossible to smoke. Only have a 50 stick humidor, its currently full, and I do not see any reason to let these things continue keeping up valuable space, so I am investing in a tupperdore for aging sticks like this and see what some time does for them.
  • Sweetleaf69Sweetleaf69 Posts: 43
    dowjr1:
    I have always been a fan of the gold maduros...not the box but just the regular Toros. I have never had a problem with them at all.
    I just had my first one yesterday. It was the regular toro, not the pressed, and I also thought it was pretty good. My only criticism was the draw on the first 3rd was a bit of work, but once it warmed up it was fine. The wrapper was particularly nice and had a very luxurious feel to it. Not harsh at all, and almost no notes of pepper to be found. Pretty smooth IMO. Guess I had better try another and make sure....
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I had a robusto recently on the golf course. I was a little unsure of what to expect. I like the 5V gold. I was concerned because I also like the CAO gold, but despised the CAO gold maduro. Overall I thought it was ok, not bad. It was a good golf cigar. I still like the regular gold better.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well here's another one I was hoping to see good reviews on. Looks like I'll pass on this. But my 2 cents I think 5 Vega makes a fine product. I love the classic especially in a corona. And the A and AAA are fantastic and let's not forget the Cask Strength. Haven't had the high primings or Miami yet but I'm planning on it.
  • RoosterTXRoosterTX Posts: 16
    Rhamlin:
    Well here's another one I was hoping to see good reviews on. Looks like I'll pass on this. But my 2 cents I think 5 Vega makes a fine product. I love the classic especially in a corona. And the A and AAA are fantastic and let's not forget the Cask Strength. Haven't had the high primings or Miami yet but I'm planning on it.

Tried another one tonight and same burn issues. Don't understand how I can get so many bad rolls in one package. Did I just run into a bad production run? Can quality control be so bad that so many bad cigars can get through? I just don't get it :(
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoosterTX:
    Rhamlin:

Tried another one tonight and same burn issues. Don't understand how I can get so many bad rolls in one package. Did I just run into a bad production run? Can quality control be so bad that so many bad cigars can get through? I just don't get it :(
    I have rarely, if ever, had problems with any 5 Vegas I have smoked. I also, have heard horror stories about the gold maduros (which I have not tried).

I am not sure why that specific line seems to perform so poorly, when other lines are consistently great (like the Miami).

Of course, getting a "bad" batch can happen... I bought the 10 JdN Antano consul daily deal like a year ago, and even after sitting at 65% for a year, I have had 1 of 10 perform with the draw/construction I would expect. All the others have been waaay too tight. I have maybe 4 left, so we will see... but I am afraid to try em after being disappointed almost every other time.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Worst of the 5V I have had as well.... over a year ago but I wont try again. I do like the 5V Classic as a nice stick that has never disappointed me.