Home Cigar 101

Bad Seal and Cigar Oasis

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
When I was trying to get my 50 count to hold the right amount of humidity, I looked at all kinds of humidification options. I saw things like the Cigar Oasis but really didn't wanna spend the $80 for it. Everything is fine and settled now, but I had a thought while I was looking at this stuff. If you have a humidor with a bad seal, nothing major but maybe a slow leak or something, could you just install something like the Cigar Oasis, set it around 64 or 65, and not have to worry anymore? It seems to me since it reads the humidity and turns on and off accordingly that this would be the case cuz it would keep your humidity at a decent level despite the leak. Or would this be a bad idea?

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Just my .02, but it seems like it would overwork the humidifier. If it has to keep turning on and off at regular intervals to keep the level because of the leak, you're going to be refilling it quit a lot. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it would seem to me.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO I wouldn't spend the money for use on a 50 count... But personally I would just try to reseat it with weather stripping... Might not look great but it's cheap and works and you can save your money for a bigger and better humi!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that an electric humidifier would be major overkill in a 50 ct. Beads seem to be the most reliable. But every desktop humi that I've had that had seal problems were usually from loose hinges. You might check the hinge screws.

Close the lid and see if you can see where the "gap" is. If there is no gap that you can see, you may be ok and it may be just that it needed to settle.

I like 65% beads, mostly because opening and closing the humi messes with the humidity and you need something that will recover the humidity.

Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Cigar Oasis and such is used for "larger" storage set-ups, where beads might not be enough, and/or, where there is lots of in and out activity. When you open a big cabinet, a lot of fresh air rushes in there (as compared to a 150ct wood humi that is full of cigars).
    If you are in a stressful climate with respect to RH (ie - lower than 50% or higher than 80%) the cigar oasis will bring things back to your target zone very quickly, compared to beads, especially with larger set-ups.
    If you installed one ina cabiinet or something that had a significant seal problem, in a stressfull rh climate, like Toombes said - that thing might run non-stop.........not sure though.

Some of us are lucky to live in a favorable cigar storage area, and can easily get away with just beads.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you have a bad seal, fix it.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    +1^
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    kuzi16:

I'll go ahead and add that you can use the little sheets of cedar you find from time to time to fix it.

get double sided tape... the thin stuff, not the thick, and stick it around the edges of the humi where the seal is made. Either the inside of the lid, or the outside of the bottom lip. Trim that off, and test. One side may be good enough. It might take a little bit of experimenting, but that can fix your seal temporarily.

-Robert
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    kuzi16:
    +1^
    i've seen obedience classes for bad dogs, not sure if they have those for bad seals though...
    HAHAHA

But seriously, +1 to these guys - fix the seal first then go from there.
    Weather stripping might be your best bet IMHO.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *