Home Cigar 101

Lowest Rh for storing cigars

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
What is the lowest humidity level you would store cigars at. I like mine in the mid-to-upper 60's but was wondering how it would affect them if you went down to 60 or even 55? Guessing that would dry them out?

What then is the recommended cut-off point for the lowest humidity for storing cigars?

Comments

• T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    I am glad you asked that because our humidors keep dropping to around 65% which I have heard is just fine, but I am always worried because so many people say to keep them at 70%. I have seen a few guys on here that say they like to keep them in the mid 60s because personal preference for the taste. I have no answer to your question, but you kinda read my mind when you asked it!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    What is the lowest humidity level you would store cigars at. I like mine in the mid-to-upper 60's but was wondering how it would affect them if you went down to 60 or even 55? Guessing that would dry them out? What then is the recommended cut-off point for the lowest humidity for storing cigars?
    Personally, I generally go between 65-68.
    I don't like to see them go lower than 60. But that's just me. I would prefer that they stayed in the range I like, but sometimes things happen.

If you are talking long term low RH, then I can imagine that things like cracking, splitting, fast burn, tunneling and the like can occur.
    In my mind, the dryer the cigar, the more fragile it becomes.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think under 55 would be getting bad. I don't know for sure but I'm sure Kuzi will jump in at some point. Mine stay around 60 to 64. Depends on what level I'm at. At the bottom of my cabinet it's a bit lower and the top is around 63. I like my cigars around 60 - 65. 70 isn't bad for lighter smokes, but I don't separate maybe one day. Have a dark cabinet and a light cabinet.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to keep mine at 62% - 65% but several occasions they have spent a bit of time around 58% with no problems. However, I really don't like to see anything under 60%. I keep mine at 62 - 65 because, for me, they smoke better.

I guess, to a point, it is just like the cello on or cello off debate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    To add to what's already been said, I tried done cigars at 65 and then at 70. For me, some cigars smoked better at 65 and some at 70. I think 62ish should be your long term limit as long as you aren't spiking from 62 to 70 and back frequently.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm sure Kuzi will jump in at some point.
    thats funny right there.

for me i get worried about anything under 60. however, there have been rumors that some places in Europe have their tastes set for 50-55%
    the european palate is very different than the US/Canadia palate. they also prefer a dryer taste. (think of smoke that has a desiccant quality to it) so it really does come down to personal preference.

if you look at it in a scientific manner there is only one answer: 70% is the highest and lowest you should keep your cigars. higher and you risk mold. lower and you start breaking down the oils in the tobacco at a rate faster than what is "ideal" for aging cigars.
    the ideal is that they will have time to marry before they really begin to break down, giving you a well rounded flavor that mellows in time.

the other thing is that cigars are a bit more resilient than some of us think they are. would i rather keep them in "ideal" conditions, sure. am i freakin out if they arent? nope.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:

the other thing is that cigars are a bit more resilient than some of us think they are. would i rather keep them in "ideal" conditions, sure. am i freakin out if they arent? nope.
    YES, can't emphasize hoe much I agree with you on this point Kuzi.

I always say, cigars are about relaxing for me. There is no reason to stress out about anything including temp and humidity. If you see a trending issue then fix it. But there is no reason to freak out and take drastic measures if you see little spikes or dips here and there.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Summer usually around 70%, winter I struggle to keep it 65% and it settles around 62%. Seems more stable in the winter but the ambient rh stays pretty low. In the summer it's up and down like a freakin yoyo so I put them in the basement, takes care of that. Tip from Diamondog.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    I like to keep mine at 62% - 65% but several occasions they have spent a bit of time around 58% with no problems. However, I really don't like to see anything under 60%. I keep mine at 62 - 65 because, for me, they smoke better.

I guess, to a point, it is just like the cello on or cello off debate.
    +1
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cubans i like at 65% NC's up to 70%
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Cubans i like at 65% NC's up to 70%
    ill agree with that to a degree. for smoking i like cubans at 65%. for aging i want them at 70%
    nicaraguan cigars i feel taste better at 68-70%. again, i want to age at 70%.