Home General Discussion
Options

CCOM FORUM BLEND WEEKLY POLL 3: FILLER

2»

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i just figured that since the wrapper gives the most flavor to the cigar, then that would be the best way to point out the taste.

i do see where you are coming from though.
    ...trying to be as close to where it is as it would be in in this particular blend.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Right. I know what you are saying about with the wrapper, but I have never seen the actual flavors of certain fillers broken down like this before, so now that I know what these fillers should taste like, I wanted to see if I could pick up on them as fillers in another cigar.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Habano Costa Rica (dark and oily filler with a maple type flavor)
    San Andres Mexico (sweet and a tad bit dry with notes of brown sugar)
    Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro (sweet and cedary)

Sweet Maple and brown Sugar !!!!

YUM
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    Anyone know of any cigars that currently use the San Andres Mexico or Habano Costa Rica? I'd love to try those tobaccos.
    the 5 vegas series A has a maduro costarican....

the Gurkha Blue Steel has a costa rican wrapper.

te-amo is a mexican puro. it isnt "san andres mexican" but its what i found. Mexican tobacco is usually a filler tobacco. its hard to find many cigars with a mexican wrapper.

edit: ACID Opulance 3 has that as a wrapper.
    Thanks for the info, I was looking more for cigars using these as fillers. Just wanted to give them a try, the descriptions Alex put up have me pretty interested.
    Romeo y Julieta Viejo uses the San Andres tobacco for a wrapper.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Interesting how many people keep stacking up very sweet fillers, i hope this thing doesnt end up tasting like a pixi stick.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Interesting how many people keep stacking up very sweet fillers, i hope this thing doesnt end up tasting like a pixi stick.
    No matter how the fillers turn out, I should be able to pick the right primings for them and a higher priming wrapper to offset. If they are too sweet, I may have to offer a shorter list of binder options to make sure it balances. Should be okay. Worst case, we change the fillers down the line after we get the samples.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    I noticed that too. Without any knowledge of how the tobacco will taste when blended, I tried to pick my fillers based on what I thought would achieve a good balance point. I guess we'll see how it all turns out.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I pknow I stacked the sweet but I was looking at the pther parts of the description a lot too. While I like some sweetness in my cigars, I don't like them overly so. The words I keyed in on were flavorful, complex and cedary.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Ha, good point...glad to hear Alex can balance it out.
  • Options
    If I feel like the top 3 are not going to mesh well, we may swap out #3 for #4 etc, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. for now, everyone should just go with their gut.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Are there any fillers that taste like bacon??
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Hahahahahahaha! I'm picking up some faint bacon notes on this one, with a slightly greasy finish. Perfect!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Habano Panama, Alemania Germany, Cubita Columbia. Not sure how those will meld but it seems very interesting to me. Sweet, toasty and peppery. My mouth is watering. I'm thinking Cuban Cabinet or SC Sumatra like flavors coming out of this cigar. Hey Alex you could sell it to CAO as the CAO Duetscheland!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    The cigar tastes ...German?...
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Habano Condega Nicaragua

Habano Domincan

Alemania Germany

• Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    Habano Esteli Nicaragua
    Habano Copan Honduras
    Cubita Columbia
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Habano Costa Rica - Interesting to see how prevalent the maple flavor is.
    Habano Esteli Nicaragua - I love earthy cigars
    Cubita Columbia - Toasty is good.

So I want a earthy, toasty, sweet and mapley cigar. Mmmmmmm...
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Okay here are my choices.....Habano Somoto Nicaragua, seeing as it splits the difference between the Condega and the Jalapa it might make a good base......Habano Copan Honduras, to impart good chewy, earthiness.....Habano Dominican to give the blend some cedar and leather which I have always liked in an earthy blend....Combine that with a PA maduro binder to add a hint of spicey sweetness, complexity and oiliness for a good burn and that shoud do nicely!...Of course I know absolutely nothing about blending tobacco and I didn't sleep in an Holiday Inn last night so take it for what it's worth! :-))))
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    PA Broadleaf Maduro (spicy and sweet, oily and complex with lots of flavor)
    Habano Jamastran Hnduras (rich and earthy tobacco with sweet notes. Slightly damp texture
  • Options
    Habano Ometepe Nicaragua (very sweet, almost cuban like tobacco. Very right and flavorful. Grown on a fresh water island)
    Cubita Columbia (this tobacco imparts a very toasty quality to a cigar)
    Alemania Germany (a dark and toothy filler. Peppery and complex)
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    PA Broadleaf Maduro (spicy and sweet, oily and complex with lots of flavor)
    San Andres Mexico (sweet and a tad bit dry with notes of brown sugar)
    Habano Ometepe Nicaragua (very sweet, almost cuban like tobacco. Very right and flavorful. Grown on a fresh water island)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I don't have a vote here because I am not familiar enough with fillers.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    I don't have a vote here because I am not familiar enough with fillers.

Everyones gets a vote, just pick three from Alex's list, use the descriptions, pick what you think would go together,
  • Options
    I will have to tally these up tomorrow and see where we are at. Great suggestions everyone.
  • Options
    Top vote getters were costa rica, ometepe and san andres. Since these are all a bit exotic, I am exercising some judgement and adding condega as it will be necessary to have a good base for the flavors, otherwise, it wont balance well. As such, to try to keep it medium bodied as intended, we are going to try the below:

Wrapper: Sumatra Ecuador Viso for the natural versiona and Brazilian Arapiraca for the Maduro version

Fillers: 25% Costa Rican Maduro Seco, 25% Nicaragua Condega Viso, 25% Ometepe Nicaragua Ligero and 25% San Andrew Mexico Seco/Viso
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, looks like it is going to have alot of natural sweetness, I can't wait to see if I pick up on the brown sugar and/or maple flavors.
  • Options
    This sounds like its going to be an awsome cigar! I'm excited! CK
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I can't wait to get my hands on some of these in both versions!
    As I don't know "jack" about the process from here... Alex can you give us a ball park estimate as to how long it will involve to get these blended and made up?
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I'm excited too! Can't wait.
  • Options
    BigginBiggin Posts: 52
    I'm chiming in late again, but I still want to do it for the education of it all.  Here is how I would have voted...
    Habano Panama (sweet with a moderate to full flavor. Rich and complex)