Home Non Cigar Related

Any investors out there?

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
You investors out there, have you ever used lendingclub.com? I just found it a few weeks ago and made a small deposit to try it out but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it. So far its freaking sweet and my anticipated ROI is 14.7% but that does not take into account defaults which average about 4%. Still, 10% ROI is nothing to sneeze at.

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Lol I have a hard enough time trying to figure out how to set up my 401k splits
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    cough*Target Fund*Cough :)
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Goldy:
    Hand my money over to a fund manager? May as well go to the craps tables - at least there you dont have to pay management fees! :-)

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Goldy:
    Hand my money over to a fund manager? May as well go to the craps tables - at least there you dont have to pay management fees! :-)

and you will get free drinks while you blow your retirement
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    The Sniper:
    Goldy:

and you will get free drinks while you blow your retirement
    lol, very true and at least you may have fun blowing it rather than thinking it's okay only to wake up and find it gone. I lost some money in 2008, though not a lot but enough.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    buying property now. Weaning myself from securities. Holding onto stuff like Apple and Coca-cola, etc. Precious metals are currently safe. Being cautious.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the problem with metals is that they are at historic highs. the time to buy them was 2005. the time to get into real estate is now while it is as historic lows. sell the metal (sell high) and buy the property (buy low)

of course im no financial adviser. you could always "invest" in cigars.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    As usual, the kuzmeister gives sage council. Buy low, sell high is a key component of investing - in my opinion, perhaps THE key component. Make sure there is no serious underlying reason for the stock price being low (bad numbers, taking a government bailout to avoid going under, a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico) and that the low price is a product of the bad economy and NOT their business practices. Invest for the long term, and look first at stocks that pay a dividend. Do NOT fall in love with the stocks you purchase, so when the time comes to sell high because the profit is made, you are able to do so.

Just some very basic principles that have served me well over the years, and by no means a be all - end all of whats entailed in the process of investing. If a dummy like me can read enough information to have some success at it, anyone can. :-)

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Eh, I've got some money to play with and right now I'm just watching the Dow head South with the troubles in europe; I figure to try and catch it near the bottom, buy up some good companies that have been hit by the downward trend, and watch them go up when things start looking better.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    the problem with metals is that they are at historic highs. the time to buy them was 2005. the time to get into real estate is now while it is as historic lows. sell the metal (sell high) and buy the property (buy low)

of course im no financial adviser. you could always "invest" in cigars.
    My comment was that investing in precious metals is "safe". I'm not in them playing the high-low game. But the investment is more like an insurance policy at this time.