Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Cigars After Surgery

I will be having Lumbar Fusion surgery on the 5th. Will I be able to smoke cigars while convalescing? I understand that cigarettes are not good for the fusion process, but I have read nothing talking about cigars. I go in for pre-op next Monday and will ask then. The Surgeon and nursing staff know I smoke cigars, but have said nothing about it. Anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Can't help you but have you asked the surgeons and nurses? How long will you be out? Good luck.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I'll be out for a minimum of 12 weeks. I go in for pre-op on Monday and will ask then. Up to now, though, nobody has said anything about it.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'd say why risk it? Just think of it like this - you're being forced to age some of your cigars, they'll taste better when you get the green light
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Streater:
    I will be having Lumbar Fusion surgery on the 5th. Will I be able to smoke cigars while convalescing? I understand that cigarettes are not good for the fusion process, but I have read nothing talking about cigars. I go in for pre-op next Monday and will ask then. The Surgeon and nursing staff know I smoke cigars, but have said nothing about it. Anyone know?
    My personal opinion would be to avoid smoking for several days around the surgery and whatever length of time they recommend while convalescing. I understand that there is a difference between cigarettes and cigars however erring on the safe side would be a good choice in this case.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing. (abstaining) I was just wondering so I can plan for it. There are so many things I have to prepare. My wife really wants to help, but I keep telling her that she will soon enough. I hate to put her out. That's probably the worst part. I want to give her everything in the world, but I'm going to be useless for months. I'll stop crying now. Didn't mean to whine.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although not as bad as cigarettes, you'll still get the nicotine if you're smoking cigars, and it's the nicotine that impedes the healing process by preventing, or at least slowing the formation of new blood vessels. Without a new capillary bed, no new tissue. No new tissue, life-long problems, especially not desirable when it's your spine!

Also, the benefits mentioned by others above. In about six to twelve weeks, depending on lot's of things, it will be safe to smoke again (as safe as before the surgery, anyway) and you'll be falling in love with all your favorite cigars again. Win win.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cigar smoking is convalescing!.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would ask the doctor. You definitely don't want to slow down your recovery. I hope and pray it all goes well and that you recover quickly. Let those cigars get better. They won't go anywhere.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the good (and silly) advice. I have decided to take a break to allow the fusion to happen and to give my palate a rest. I've been smoking some powerhouses on a consistent basis and would love to be able to taste a mild or medium smoke.