Home General Discussion

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as Jiunn the loon might say, HARARUYA!! On the other hand, the vote was so close you just know they'll try it again down the road a piece.....
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't doing/saying nothing on this until the results are certified as we can still find a way to F it up.............Remember, it's California, we elected Arnold TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider about that vote though.
    It has sent a message to "some" (a few) politicians that the views on tobacco is not as lopsided as they thought. Which may start to work on some of the politicians. After all, if +50% of the voters has said no way, then some of the politicians may look at it from the standpoint that if they go against that +50% of the voters, they jeopardize those votes. And that is their bottom line.

The problem is, that there are paid lobbyists that will work against that.

I hate dealing with politicians, there is no common sense to how they work.
    You can present them with facts to justify all kinds of things and they'll come up with some off the wall comment about how this needs to be this way or that way, costing tons more money than is necessary.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    California... knows how to party
    In the citaaay of L.A.
    In the citaaay of good ol' Watts
    In the citaaay, the city of Compton
    We keep it rockin! We keep it rockin.

Respect
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bandyt09:
    I ain't doing/saying nothing on this until the results are certified as we can still find a way to F it up.............Remember, it's California, we elected Arnold TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I still say it could have been worse...wasn't Gary Coleman running the first time around?
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:
    I still say it could have been worse...wasn't Gary Coleman running the first time around?

Hell, Gary Coleman woulda been FAR better than Da Ahhnold! That dipshit could screw up a cannonball.

And, for God's sake, let's not even think about electing O'Bummer again!! Democracy and the American way have suffered enough at the hands of that narcissistic imbecile.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    We're having a celebration at my local B&M. JDN sticks, Bulliet Bourbon and food. Come on down! Best 10 bux you'll ever spend!
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    We're having a celebration at my local B&M. JDN sticks, Bulliet Bourbon and food. Come on down! Best 10 bux you'll ever spend!
    JEFF. It's about darn time you started posting again. This better be a recurring thing. The board misses Wonder breads.
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    jliu:
    In the citaaay of L.A.
    In the citaaay of good ol' Watts
    In the citaaay, the city of Compton
    We keep it rockin! We keep it rockin.

Respect

Thanks 2Pac ShaJiunn
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:
    He was running Joe but cut his campaign short...................

jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

Hell, Gary Coleman woulda been FAR better than Da Ahhnold! That dipshit could screw up a cannonball.

And, for God's sake, let's not even think about electing O'Bummer again!! Democracy and the American way have suffered enough at the hands of that narcissistic imbecile.
    Marty, unlike Orange County, most of the counties in California, will vote for him. However, in the OC, we say "THE BRO MUST GO!

"
    bandyt09:
    jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

Marty, unlike Orange County, most of the counties in California, will vote for him. However, in the OC, we say "THE BRO MUST GO!

"

No offense, Todd, but in this case I sincerely hope you're wrong. We can hope they come to their senses and send the idiot packing. I don't even want to think what the country would be like after another term under this guy.
    jlmarta:
    bandyt09:
    jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

"

No offense, Todd, but in this case I sincerely hope you're wrong. We can hope they come to their senses and send the idiot packing. I don't even want to think what the country would be like after another term under this guy.
    Hope I am wrong also but living in a blue state with a bunch of uneducated voters is an unfortuate situation. Now that the young 'ens figured out that the bro screwed them, I have a feeling they have lost "that loving feeling" with the voting process and won't show up en mass like they did before and the few that do will vote against him. I think he will also lose the elderly and Latin voters. I think this is why he is going to the gays and *** voters, very large community in CA.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I don't even want to think what the country would be like after another term under this guy.
    It would be the end of the greatest nation in the world and as China and Russia grows and advances in global power we would become a third world nation.

The good news out of this is everybody gets free medical care, food, cloths and a brand new box to live in.

MTuccelli:
    jlmarta:
    I don't even want to think what the country would be like after another term under this guy.
    It would be the end of the greatest nation in the world and as China and Russia grows and advances in global power we would become a third world nation.

The good news out of this is everybody gets free medical care, food, cloths and a brand new box to live in.

Cool!! I'll need a refrigerator box, though. I'm kinda the large economy size.... :-)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

The bill in some ways I agree with and in others I don't. They say that it will go towards Cancer research but I mean how much money does cancer research really need? I mean what's the skinny on how much is going to it and what has it done? I still see there is no cure for cancer.

The other part is, is it really that big of a deal that there's a dollar tax on smokes? Well compared to cigars smokes are cheap so I don't see it as that big of a deal. Now what I don't know if it would have increased cigars and pipe tobacco as that is already highly taxed and is already expensive.

The insanity that the "liberal" ones have towards tobacco (which I don't think it's all liberals, as most of my friends enjoy tobacco) sometimes baffles me. I mean I'm all for keeping a restaurant smoke free, a plane, and perhaps a bar but when places start banning parks, outside your door on your patio, on the street, the beach its getting out of hand. Part of me wonders where the greed of the tobacco companies starts, and where the control of the govt (or lobbying arm) ends. There needs to be a medium.
    phobicsquirrel:
    jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

The bill in some ways I agree with and in others I don't. They say that it will go towards Cancer research but I mean how much money does cancer research really need? I mean what's the skinny on how much is going to it and what has it done? I still see there is no cure for cancer.

The other part is, is it really that big of a deal that there's a dollar tax on smokes? Well compared to cigars smokes are cheap so I don't see it as that big of a deal. Now what I don't know if it would have increased cigars and pipe tobacco as that is already highly taxed and is already expensive.

The insanity that the "liberal" ones have towards tobacco (which I don't think it's all liberals, as most of my friends enjoy tobacco) sometimes baffles me. I mean I'm all for keeping a restaurant smoke free, a plane, and perhaps a bar but when places start banning parks, outside your door on your patio, on the street, the beach its getting out of hand. Part of me wonders where the greed of the tobacco companies starts, and where the control of the govt (or lobbying arm) ends. There needs to be a medium.
    phobicsquirrel:
    The bill in some ways I agree with and in others I don't. They say that it will go towards Cancer research but I mean how much money does cancer research really need? I mean what's the skinny on how much is going to it and what has it done?
    The money will go to a committee, put in place by politicians, with NO oversight. This is just crooks putting their crook friends in charge of hundreds of millions of dollars and telling them, do as you please with it as no one is watching you, hell, the money doesn't even need to stay in California.

phobicsquirrel:
    Now what I don't know if it would have increased cigars and pipe tobacco as that is already highly taxed and is already expensive.
    In California, all tobacco is considered the same, so yes, cigars would be affected. On a side note, with all the taxes and fees on tobacco it seems like California is trying to do away with it, yet, they make marijuana legal.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:
    He was running Joe but cut his campaign short...................

Whatchoo talkin bout Todd?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

phobicsquirrel:
    The bill in some ways I agree with and in others I don't. They say that it will go towards Cancer research but I mean how much money does cancer research really need? I mean what's the skinny on how much is going to it and what has it done?
    The money will go to a committee, put in place by politicians, with NO oversight. This is just crooks putting their crook friends in charge of hundreds of millions of dollars and telling them, do as you please with it as no one is watching you, hell, the money doesn't even need to stay in California.

phobicsquirrel:
    Now what I don't know if it would have increased cigars and pipe tobacco as that is already highly taxed and is already expensive.
    In California, all tobacco is considered the same, so yes, cigars would be affected. On a side note, with all the taxes and fees on tobacco it seems like California is trying to do away with it, yet, they make marijuana legal.
    That's what I thought, all tobacco is lumped together which is BS. Well they want to legalize pot however it will be taxed too. I have no problem paying a bit of a tax for some things but when they keep on raising it for BS reason that haven't shown much of a sign of it working (whatever the reasons were).
    phobicsquirrel:
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    jlmarta:
    j0z3r:
    bandyt09:

phobicsquirrel:

phobicsquirrel:
    That's what I thought, all tobacco is lumped together which is BS. Well they want to legalize pot however it will be taxed too. I have no problem paying a bit of a tax for some things but when they keep on raising it for BS reason that haven't shown much of a sign of it working (whatever the reasons were).

And there was no guarantee that the monies raised by taxing Californians would be used in California. Ain't that the ****?