Home Cigar 101

Anybody ever have this happen?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
After dinner tonight I fired up an Origen by J. Fuego. The others I've had have been pretty good but this one was/is different (I'm still struggling with it). It feels heavier in the hand but what's really noticeable is that there seems to be enough tobacco in it to make 1 1/2 cigars. I've never encountered a cigar that was wrapped tighter that this puppy. After running two air passages all the way through it, it's still like sucking on the end of a broomstick. I can hardly get enough air through it to keep it lit. A guy can get a hernia from sucking on a stick like this. Comments?? Yeah, I know it's handmade - but other than that??

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Wow - you poked it TWICE and it still wouldnt draw worth a damn? I dont even know what to say about this one except... KUZI!!! HELP!!!

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes ya just have to lay it down and fire up a different one.
    Took me about a year to finally realize that.......I'm stubborn..........
    Had that happen with a Punch Magnum recently........I wrestled with it.........but in the end gave up
    My tolerance for poorly performing sticks had come down considerably..........
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I had that happen with a 5 vegas classic. Poked it, even cut it through where the band was. Wore myself out sucking on the end of that thing. It was too bad because to this day it was probably the best tasting single cigar I have ever had (what I could get out of it). Purchased a box of them because of the flavor. They weren't the same, not even close and I didn't have construction issues with any in the box.

EDIT: Actually I would say that I could tell they were the same blend but there was more and better flavor in the one I liked... sort of like rating one a 10 and the others a 7 on flavor.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    KingoftheCove:
    This is me nowadays too. Bad draw? I'll try poking it. That doesnt fix it? Out the window it flies and back to the herfador I go. Same thing with touchups too - anything more than two and Im done with it. That last part has cost me more Oliva Master Blends III's than I care to admit.

... but I smoke cigars to ENJOY them, not to fight with the damned things!

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate when that happens. Luckily I've not come across any that I couldn't eventually get opened. Had a few that would keep closing and had to repeatedly keep running a poker thru it.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    KingoftheCove:
    This is me nowadays too. Bad draw? I'll try poking it. That doesnt fix it? Out the window it flies and back to the herfador I go. Same thing with touchups too - anything more than two and Im done with it. That last part has cost me more Oliva Master Blends III's than I care to admit.

plus Jiunn on Sniper's comment. The moment the draw is horrible and if I can't easily open it up, into the trash it goes. Sometimes I put it up like a tombstone in my back yard. I'll leave it there until the wind blows it away haha. Also interesting you mention the master blends III. I thought it was just me. I've had three of them and all had ridiculous tunneling and burn issues. Why the hell did I even care to buy three is beyond me.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I have had that happen a couple of times, i throw out the cheaper sticks, but the more expensive ones and ones i havent had before ill try to nurse through.
    Roberto99:
    I had that happen with a 5 vegas classic. Poked it, even cut it through where the band was. Wore myself out sucking on the end of that thing. It was too bad because to this day it was probably the best tasting single cigar I have ever had (what I could get out of it). Purchased a box of them because of the flavor. They weren't the same, not even close and I didn't have construction issues with any in the box.

EDIT: Actually I would say that I could tell they were the same blend but there was more and better flavor in the one I liked... sort of like rating one a 10 and the others a 7 on flavor.
    i have found that with the classic there seems to be better batches, the first one i tried was okay, but i love some that i got several months ago, but i got a few in a trade somewhat recently that have been meh, both batches were the double coronas too.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones I find that need poking are, more often than not, torpedoes or other pointy-headed vitolas. I've always assumed that's because the torcedore has to twist the tobacco a bit when he/she forms the head. I may be wrong in my assumption.

The Origen I was having trouble with and which prompted this thread was a parejo, though - not a figurado. An interesting occurrence, though, in any case.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one ever wants to admit defeat or put down a good cigar that they paid for. Lucky for me I have only encountered a few plugged cigars and I fight through it. Usually there will be a point where it finally lets up. I love torpedos and I find that since I like to kind of chew on the end that when I do that it seems to loosen up the tobaccos and the draw improves. I have seen a few cigars that make you wonder how they managed to squeeze in so much tobacco. A few guys have dissected plugged cigars and taken pictures of some awful looking stems. Some so big you have to wonder how they were overlooked.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    jliu:
    The Sniper:
    KingoftheCove:

plus Jiunn on Sniper's comment. The moment the draw is horrible and if I can't easily open it up, into the trash it goes. Sometimes I put it up like a tombstone in my back yard. I'll leave it there until the wind blows it away haha. Also interesting you mention the master blends III. I thought it was just me. I've had three of them and all had ridiculous tunneling and burn issues. Why the hell did I even care to buy three is beyond me.
    Yup, me too, excpet on the touch ups thing. I have no problem touching up a cigar as much as I need to, but I refuse to fight with the draw unless it was the last cigar in my humidir.

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Draw is one thing i don't tolerate... I've used pokers to some success, but if it doesn't work, it's gone. But if it's tunneling or conueing I'll just keep on truckin'
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Try coring the cigar for about A inch to A inch and A half.
    This will generally open even the tightest of cigars.
    I use An old stainless Steele car antenna.
    The solid wire and the second section.
    Point the smallest for easy insertion.
    This will open all but the most stubborn of cigars
    The second section is hollow and when sharpened on one end will actually take A small core out with it, opening the most troublesome of cigars.
    Be careful to only core the shortest length necessary or tunneling may occur.
    Hope this helps. :-)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mr. B. I would never have thought of coring it. I'll have to give that a try.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Thanks, Mr. B. I would never have thought of coring it. I'll have to give that a try.

Saved many good cigars for me.