Home Cigar 101

sinister versus dexter

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Couple months back, on a thread named the noob toob, which I can't find now, I asked why is it that some cigars are rolled spiraling right while others are rolled spiraling left. No one had a definitive answer. Even the superbly sapient kuzi settled for "it may just be how that particular roller does it." Well, my BOTRYOL project delivered me the answer

Turns out you split the wrapper leaf at the stem, making two wrappers, then you roll each wrapper bottom first with the veins going vertically and facing toward the binder. Imagine you lay a leaf on the table with the veins upward, stem toward you, point away from you, and split it. The half to your left will need to be cocked to the right for the veins to go vertical. The half to the right will need to be cocked left. That means you will necessarily have just as many left handed wrappers as right handed ones. So the same roller must be able to wrap in both directions. And half the cigars will go either way.

It's sumpin what your hands can teach you.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    well there you go.
    i didnt really think about this because they will cut the leaves down to the shape they want. this leads me to believe that it doesnt matter what side of the leaf its from because they just cut it to shape. but honestly i didnt put much thought into it.
    its all about the flavor. this doesnt really effect the flavor so i guess i just wrote it off.
    interesting bit of info there.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    very cool. part of the reason i enjoy cigars as much as i do is because every time i smoke one i think about the skill of the rollers and it amazes me. Im glad they have the patience and skill to entertain me, because if they didnt id be smoking a pipe. Ha.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    webmost:
    Couple months back, on a thread named the noob toob, which I can't find now, I asked why is it that some cigars are rolled spiraling right while others are rolled spiraling left. No one had a definitive answer. Even the superbly sapient kuzi settled for "it may just be how that particular roller does it." Well, my BOTRYOL project delivered me the answer

Turns out you split the wrapper leaf at the stem, making two wrappers, then you roll each wrapper bottom first with the veins going vertically and facing toward the binder. Imagine you lay a leaf on the table with the veins upward, stem toward you, point away from you, and split it. The half to your left will need to be cocked to the right for the veins to go vertical. The half to the right will need to be cocked left. That means you will necessarily have just as many left handed wrappers as right handed ones. So the same roller must be able to wrap in both directions. And half the cigars will go either way.

It's sumpin what your hands can teach you.

what if you flip the leaf over, then both sides could be rolled in the same direction, right? I really have no idea, and this seems as logical an answer as any, but just offering up another opinion.

I always assumed this was because some rollers are lefthanded while others are right handed.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Its for dyslexic torceadors. LOL
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Petey*:
    what if you flip the leaf over, then both sides could be rolled in the same direction, right? I really have no idea, and this seems as logical an answer as any, but just offering up another opinion.
    You want the veins toward the binder so as to make a smoother wrapper. You want the veins running upward so as to wrap tighter and stronger. So, no, no flipping. I'll have to pay close attention next batch cause I am sure I scrooged this part up. Took mine out of the freezer last night and salted them away. Gonna be a good boy and wait patiently before smoking.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    webmost:
    *Petey*:
    You want the veins toward the binder so as to make a smoother wrapper. You want the veins running upward so as to wrap tighter and stronger. So, no, no flipping. I'll have to pay close attention next batch cause I am sure I scrooged this part up. Took mine out of the freezer last night and salted them away. Gonna be a good boy and wait patiently before smoking.
    Interesting, but this makes sense. I thought it was the whole "why do all the manilla folders have their tabs on the left side" thing again. hahahaha.

Total Side note, if it we're me rolling those, I'd fire up a freshrolled. It would first show you how you did and second it would show you how they change as they age.

Anyway keep us posted man.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    *Petey*:
    Interesting, but this makes sense. I thought it was the whole "why do all the manilla folders have their tabs on the left side" thing again. hahahaha.
    I file mine with the tabs on the right. LMAO.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Same thing happens with my ****...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Lasabar:
    ROFL!

G'night everybody!!

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Lasabar:
    ROFL!