Home General Discussion

For all you Oliva fans....

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have you seen this news yet?
Oliva Creates New Serie V...
cigaraficionado.com:
The new cigars are made entirely of Nicaraguan filler and binder tobaccos grown by the Olivas, and they are wrapped in Sumatra-seed wrappers grown by Oliva in Ecuador. This is the first cigar Oliva has made using these particular wrappers, and the first Ecuador Sumatra seed cigar from the company other than the Oliva Master Blends 2.
They had me at Sumatra-seed wrapper. Count me in!
They're supposed to come out this fall....

What do you guys think, I've never had a Master Blend - anyone remember the MB2's? Were they good? Think this will be a hit like the original "V"?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Love Oliva! I will definitely be trying these as soon as I can get my hands on them - but I have to admit to a bit of nervousness here. The MB III's are the ONLY Oliva Ive ever had problems with... really good cigar, but every single one of em Ive had has been ate up with burn issues, which is a deal breaker for me.

I know MB III does NOT equal MB II which does NOT equal these new Oliva V's... but the mention of Master Blends took my initial reaction from "YES!" to "Hmmmm...."

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    In August eh? I will be looking for these when they are available. I hope Alex will be jumping on some boxes of these! Glen, if you are having burn issues with the MB111 then I suggest you try another and dry box it overnight. It may be that they don't like the RH point of your humi.

I keep my coolerdor around 65^ and never have burn issues with the MB111.
  • IONTCIONTC Posts: 172
    I saw that yesterday but couldn't figure out how to insert a link haha. I love the V and the Master blend III which ive also not had burn issues with so I'm super pumped for this.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IONTC:
    I saw that yesterday but couldn't figure out how to insert a link haha.
    PM to you ION.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds exciting!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Depending on price point, want to split one of the early boxes of these Steve? Then if they are good we can "corner the market" on them. LOL
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I will be buying the factory and smoking the profits.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm excited! Being a fan of the mb's and v's I can't wait to see the new line. So far guess I've been lucky and have had no issues with the mb 3's. And yes the mb 2's were really awesome sticks!! They rank the highest out of all the oliva mb's and thanks to sleevplz I'll be trying my first mb1 soon!! But with all that said a Sumatra oliva just seems like you can't go wrong!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Marker:
    I will be buying the factory and smoking the profits.
    Hmmm, I may want to talk to you about aquiring a couple divisions of that company Marker. Or better yet can I be CEO? Those guy's make a shiteload of money and smoke a lot of sticks. I can attend meetings and golf.
    Lee - glad to know the MB2s were great - (not that this will the same Sumatra-wrapper) but it's good to know that Oliva has done the wrapper well in the past.

I will be on the lookout for an MB3 and another V this summer to get myself "ready" for trying these new V's

• StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    My first son will be named Oliva V. I don't think that they can improve on perfection. I love the Oliva V so much, I will write a poem about the Oliva V. Ode to Oliva V will be the name of it.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Lee - glad to know the MB2s were great - (not that this will the same Sumatra-wrapper) but it's good to know that Oliva has done the wrapper well in the past.

I will be on the lookout for an MB3 and another V this summer to get myself "ready" for trying these new V's
    Pm me your addy I have some mb 3's if your in need
    Money can't buy taste
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm not sure what to think about this. I've been a fan of the Serie V, but not much else Oliva has done since. I don't know if it's a change in my tastes or if they started doing things differently, but Oliva is not one of my "must have" names anymore.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jgibv:

Pm me your addy I have some mb 3's if your in need
    Thanks for the offer.
    I'll plan to grab some with my next order or on the next B&M run, but if not I'll keep this in mind and let you know

j0z3r:
    I'm not sure what to think about this. I've been a fan of the Serie V, but not much else Oliva has done since. I don't know if it's a change in my tastes or if they started doing things differently, but Oliva is not one of my "must have" names anymore.
    BLASPHEMY !!! Repent your sins now Joe before it's too late!! LMAO
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    BLASPHEMY !!! Repent your sins now Joe before it's too late!! LMAO
    I only speak da troof doogie, you can't handle that, best be coverin your ears homie.Big Smile [:D]
    j0z3r:
    I will go with a +1/2 on this. While they are generally not a "gotta go out and get em" cigar for me, they ARE one that Im never unhappy to receive or smoke. Always quality construction, good flavor and (with the exception of the MBIII) never so much as a touch up needed. Still, with the exception of the V and the Connie Reserve, not usually sticks Im actively looking to purchase.

laker1963:
    In August eh? I will be looking for these when they are available. I hope Alex will be jumping on some boxes of these! Glen, if you are having burn issues with the MB111 then I suggest you try another and dry box it overnight. It may be that they don't like the RH point of your humi.

I keep my coolerdor around 65^ and never have burn issues with the MB111.
    Im too much of an airheaded asshat for dryboxing Doug. I always forget I threw whatever stick in there for too long, and when I finally remember it its usually tanked. I used to keep my humi's at 70RH - burn issues with the MBIII. Switched to 65RH about a year ago - burn issues with the MBIII. Excellent flavor, but not worth the BS I have to go thru to get thru an entire stick.

The Sniper:
    j0z3r:
    I will go with a +1/2 on this. While they are generally not a "gotta go out and get em" cigar for me, they ARE one that Im never unhappy to receive or smoke. Always quality construction, good flavor and (with the exception of the MBIII) never so much as a touch up needed. Still, with the exception of the V and the Connie Reserve, not usually sticks Im actively looking to purchase.

I still enjoy the Serie O and Serie G, and the Conn Reserve is fine by me...the Nub and Cain lines really don't do a thing for me...OK, I enjoyed the Daytona somewhat. I think I still like Oliva as much as I ever have, just not their more recent offerings.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    The G Maddie was what got me hooked and love the V. I'm looking forward to these!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I smoked one at the factory last week. Nice cigar. Oliva fans won't be dissappointed. Nice Sumatra Ecuador wrapper.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Oliva lines. Always like the Oliva G series. Go figure. LOL!
    Am liking the Oliva V a lot. So hopefully it will be in line with all their other cigars.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Well, I gotta say I'm a bit skeptical.

The Oliva V is one of my staples - in a very close tie with the San Lotano Habano, but the V realy is all about the wrapper - IMO. I'm not too sure about a sumatra wrapper on this cigar. Sometime you should just leave well enough alone.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    IMHO you cant compare the new one to the V. This new blend is a totally different animal. Rich and full flavored and very palatable like the V, yet the Sumatra Ecuador gives this cigar a completely different type of spiciness vs the habano ecuador on the original V. For my money, the V is still one of my all time favorites and this new blend, while fantastic, will never replace the original V because in my mind nothing else can. that cigar is is pretty much impossible to top. MOW Ruination, San Lotano Habano, Oliva V, MOW Puro Authentico and Diesel Unlimited are pretty much my staples at the moment. This new cigar from Oliva though will have a very wide appeal and be a great special occasion treat for those looking to mix it up.
    Any idea of a price point for these sticks Alex?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Depending on price point, want to split one of the early boxes of these Steve? Then if they are good we can "corner the market" on them. LOL
    Sounds possible, depending on price and finances at that time. Let's keep it in mind.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    laker1963:
    Sounds possible, depending on price and finances at that time. Let's keep it in mind.
    Which, the box split? Or the cornering of the market idea? I may be going to work for Marker as CEO when he purchases Oliva so i will keep you informed lol.