Home Pipes

How do you pack your pipe?

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I typically like doing a tight pack, then a looser pack then another tight pack. What about u?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Three pinches at a time; gravity fill, then tamp - repeat two more times. By the time it's done, the draw is the same way I like my cigars. Gotta relight it a few times, but for the most part, it works, at least until I get down to the bottom, then it's relights every few minutes
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Three pinches at a time; gravity fill, then tamp - repeat two more times. By the time it's done, the draw is the same way I like my cigars. Gotta relight it a few times, but for the most part, it works, at least until I get down to the bottom, then it's relights every few minutes
    Still havent perfected, but alot has to do with the pipe, or so i think..Seems for me,, tighter= frequent relights=annoying
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Kid:
    xmacro:
    Still havent perfected, but alot has to do with the pipe, or so i think..Seems for me,, tighter= frequent relights=annoying
    That's a pretty reasonable observation. Pipe tobacco expands as it heats, therefore a tight pack will be harder to keep lit due to decreased airspace. A general rule of thumb is to pack it loose on the bottom and progressively tighter, hence the "handshake" method. It's not rocket science, but it definitely requires practice.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    For those who are new I would start with the Bob method. Bob Tate is the editor for Pipes Magazine. Here is the link, I know some of you guy's like to be able to just click it but I don't recall how to do it and haven't the time to dig through the site.
    Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9VppJzCxw Then I would look at the Frank method which is referenced in the video. Basically, after a few tries you will be smoking all the way to the bottom of the bowl with no more then 2 or 3 relights. Sometimes, with the right cut and a good pack and no interruptions no relights at all! It is worth the time if you you get tried of multiple relights.