Home Cigar 101

Gurkha Doble Maduro problems

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
I have some Gurkha Doble Maduros that I've had problems with every single one i've smoked. The things keep splitting the wrapper leaf and it seems very very weak, so much so that it seems i barely touch it and it cracks... They are smoking like they have excess moisture in the filler and the wrapper is dryer than a bone, but my RH is fine and has been constant for like 2 months now!! My specs:

My humidor is holding 63-68% RH and a temp of anywhere from 55-70 degrees. I wouldn't think the temperature flucuations would be causing my problems, but maybe i'm wrong?

I really want to figure out why they're doing this because i really like this cigar, but i'm having so much trouble with them that i don't know if i'll be able to smoke them without some drastic cutting/trimming to avoid the cracked wrapper leaves...

HELP!! pwease?

Comments

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    One note i should have mentioned before...

I know that the noted temp differences do affect the RH to some extent, and I would assume that is why my RH fluctuates from 63-68%, instead of holding dead-nuts at the same number within that range all the time.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I don't know why the wrapper would be so prone to cracking, the one I smoked a few weeks ago felt like it had a fairly hefty wrapper on it. But the draw was like trying to suck sand up a straw, I think if I had cut it instead of using a punch it may have loosened up a bit.

If you still have a few in the humi, try cutting one and then setting it back in for a few days and see if the draw improves some. I don't think the temp fluctuations would mess with the draw, but I might be wrong on that. The stogies may just need more time, the condition that you got them in might not have been up to par and that may be the root of your problems now.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    someone else was saying that a titan or a beast had wrapper issues as well. I have many of them smokes and these and haven't had any problems with the wrappers splitting or being fragile. Even the Beauty's I've had are sturdy and haven't split. Maybe they were just badly stored before you got them. I love the doble maduros and it's a shame your having such problems. maybe just giving them a few more months would help. Maybe kuzi or jozer could give you a better explanation...
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is, the ones i was having so many problems with tasted way better than the most recent one i smoked, which had just one very slight wrapper issue caused by the cedar sleeve, as well as a small crack that developed about a quarter of the way up after i had lit it...

all the other ones tasted splendiferous, but the cracking was so bad that i couldn't draw well at all and resorted to holding my hand around the cigar to keep the wrapper on it; the wrapper was cracking, and peeling, and actually flaking away from the binder and falling off the cigar it was so bad...

I've had them since the beginning of march, so time to rest shouldn't have been an issue, and i thought when it first happened that i just got a bad wrap or bad roll but..... after the second and third... i got worried...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its been very humid in Greenwich ohio this past week. i find that if i am outside (or inside) and teh humidity around me is above 85% or so, then i have wrapper issues that you describe. when it rains you have 100% humidity. Im not sure about you, but in Akron Ohio i had rain all day today and for the past few days off and on. im sure this doesnt help.

im not sure if that would account for all fo the issues but maybe some.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Same here...my brother went outside trying to smoke one of his RPs and it split to Hell after all the rain we've had.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, i LOVE the doble maduros and have never had a burn problem with em, but it is raining here and i have a few so i could go experiment :)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    just make sure you start with the rounded end, might hurt more the other way...