Home Pipes

Tobacco Recommendations/Reviews

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
So I'm just starting out and would like to hear what you guys enjoy and why. I am thinking about trying a whiskey flavored tobacco, but not sure if it would make my bowl start smelling like whiskey.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Have a dedicated pipe for aros if you can. Even better if specific aro types are in their own pipe; vanilla, whiskey, cherry, maple etc. Buy a cob if you want to try a whiskey but are not sure if you will like it. No harm no foul and cobs are cheap and don't ghost easy.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    So I'm just starting out and would like to hear what you guys enjoy and why. I am thinking about trying a whiskey flavored tobacco, but not sure if it would make my bowl start smelling like whiskey.
    Hey Chris good to see you hope all is well!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Depends on what kinda tobacco; as far as I can tell, there's Lakeland, Latakia, Perique, Virginia, Burley, and Oriental, along with others. For some reason, I'm really drawn to the pure (or close to pure) orientals, I suppose since I can retrohale all day and never get burned. Latakia-heavy tobaccos remind me of cigars for some reason
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Krieg you might check out the sutliff topshelf. If you smoke it on occasion it shouldn't ghost your pipe much but it will leave a bit of that aroma in there.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Krieg you might check out the sutliff topshelf. If you smoke it on occasion it shouldn't ghost your pipe much but it will leave a bit of that aroma in there.

This is mine experience too. Whiskey used as a topping typically does not ghost a pipe for more than a few bowels and you are back to normal again.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    This is mine experience too. Whiskey used as a topping typically does not ghost a pipe for more than a few bowels and you are back to normal again.
    I've found that whiskey tears my bowels up pretty good, but you are right, it doesn't last long
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    What do you guys mean when u say "ghosting"? I have to admit...I'm still a noob! lol

"Long ashes my friends."

The Kid:
    Krieg:
    Hey Chris good to see you hope all is well!
    thanks bud, I've been helluva busy at work...had to move 3 freaking Data Centers...just say it was a pain...anyways I'm trying to be back little more.

"Long ashes my friends."

Marker:
    Have a dedicated pipe for aros if you can. Even better if specific aro types are in their own pipe; vanilla, whiskey, cherry, maple etc. Buy a cob if you want to try a whiskey but are not sure if you will like it. No harm no foul and cobs are cheap and don't ghost easy.
    this makes good sense. I will probably buy another corn cob pipe and use it for aromatics.

"Long ashes my friends."

• AugustWestAugustWest Posts: 62
    ghosting is the lingering "haunting" flavor(s) if you smoke more than one type of tobacco in the same pipe. I have one for aromatics, one for English, and one for VA/VAPER's. I don't smoke much English, and only in the winter, so I have a cob pipe for them. I have a "Missouri Meerschaum" which is sold on this site. Cob's are very forgiving, smoke nice and cool and sweet right off the get-go. They also don't require a rigid "break in" like briar's do. I smoke much more VA/VAPER so I have a briar for those as well as the aromatics. I smoke very little aromatic anymore because I find that so many of them have goopy flavorings that make a mess in my pipe. Try a few things -- you'll be in pretty deep before too long.
  • AugustWestAugustWest Posts: 62
    Forgot 1 thing - if you like cigars, there are some blends that have cigar leaf (just a bit) in the mix. Giving those a try might be good for you too. I have found some good ones.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Some blends ghost more than others; it seems that Lakeland and aromatics ghost the worst, in some cases, irreversibly. Latakia and some others also ghost, but it'll fade after a few bowls.

Bottom line is, some blends ghost, some don't; of those that do ghost, some do so more than others. Meerschaum doesn't ghost very easily - you gotta really smoke a lot of something with heavy ghosting ability a bunch of times to really ghost meerschaum, if it's even possible; but then again, meerschaum requires its own particular care
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had any non aromatics yet but I'm planning on getting some. Although I'm a bit nervous as I am super picky on pipes and the one I have I really like however I don't want to plop down another 200 bucks for a pipe right now. DOH! I guess I may have to "ghost" for a bit.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I haven't had any non aromatics yet but I'm planning on getting some. Although I'm a bit nervous as I am super picky on pipes and the one I have I really like however I don't want to plop down another 200 bucks for a pipe right now. DOH! I guess I may have to "ghost" for a bit.
    McCrearies (spelling?) makes a fantastic straight Virgina blend, Hannibal would probably recommend Davidoff Red, I have yet to try it, but it is on my must try list
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    phobicsquirrel:
    McCrearies (spelling?) makes a fantastic straight Virgina blend, Hannibal would probably recommend Davidoff Red, I have yet to try it, but it is on my must try list
    nice I'll put them on the list.