Home Cigar 101

Freezing cigars...any thoughts

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
So it's the dreaded time of year where everything is a tad above optimal temp! Some worry about beetles others mold and some both. I was wondering about everyone's thoughts of freezing there sticks. I freeze some but not all so what do you do?
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the last time, when a stick I had sent to another Bro had some beetle damage and I froze the entire contents of my coolidor, I haven't done anything except watch for more signs. Not only am I lazy, I'm also a "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" kinda guy. Rather than admit to laziness, though, I prefer to think of myself as an efficiency expert - I always look for the easiest way..... :-)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, it's that time of the year. My COTM box is coming out of the freezer this a.m. It was a couple days longer than usual in transit, of course, at the hottest time of the year.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    So it's the dreaded time of year where everything is a tad above optimal temp! Some worry about beetles others mold and some both. I was wondering about everyone's thoughts of freezing there sticks. I freeze some but not all so what do you do?
    Maybe I don't get the question... why not keep them in the air conditioned house?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Maybe I don't get the question... why not keep them in the air conditioned house?

Not everyone keeps the air very low when out at work due to crappy electric bills. There for the temps can rise out of the comfort zone
    Money can't buy taste
  • josiahcoljosiahcol Posts: 70
    We have hit 100 degrees up here in MN for the last 3 days and before that we have been low to mid 90's, i have tried freezing a few times, each time even though i have tried letting the cigar warm up to room temp before smoking i got a little, not a lot of the wrapper cracking when i smoke, i think it has to do with the humidity change so quick. I guess my experince over the last 2 years with a lot of smokes to store has been keep them in a dry place out of direct sunlight and even with temps rising slightly in my place when i'm out at work i so far (knock on wood) havent had any problems.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I freeze everything starting yesterday lol. My NCs for the last 5 yrs have been fine no problems yet knock on wood. Seems their QC is better. My 1st order of CCs was 15 days in transit and it was 90deg the last few weeks. Well I had started a. New tupperdor humi for my CC boxes and 1st order after 5 days I inspected each day and saw a tunnel in one. Needless to say the box is freezing now and all CC definitely will be frozen. I think I'm going to freeze everything from here out to be safe.

2012-07-03 23.44.09
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I think the answer to your question is that beetles are able to move around looking for mates at temperatures of 71 degrees and warmer. Below that temp they're pretty much dormant. Most folks that I know don't keep their air conditioning set that low. And freezing and properly thawing your sticks will kill any that are dormant and just waiting for their preferred temp.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:

That's assuming that people have air conditioning.
    Most houses here don't have air conditioning.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yet another reason I am buying a wineador. Let alone, they smoke better. I had heard it does not take much time for them to breed, so if a box has been in the mail and heat for days....wiuldnt they have hatched by then??? I inspect regularly, and ive seenu humis get over 80 but rh is 65 without issues.
    catfishbluezz:
    Yet another reason I am buying a wineador. Let alone, they smoke better. I had heard it does not take much time for them to breed, so if a box has been in the mail and heat for days....wiuldnt they have hatched by then??? I inspect regularly, and ive seenu humis get over 80 but rh is 65 without issues.
    Agreed... I keep my high end sticks in my wineador but still don't want to see my other sticks get eaten up
    Money can't buy taste
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    Agreed... I keep my high end sticks in my wineador but still don't want to see my other sticks get eaten up
    Lee, I have had my humi hit 85 degrees for days at some points but especially during the summer I make sure the humidity stays low, 62% - 65%, so I can better prevent the beetles. Beetles need BOTH the hot temperature AND high humidity. If you can't control the temps then control the humidity. Never had to freeze my cigars nor have I ever had beetles.
    bandyt09:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    Lee, I have had my humi hit 85 degrees for days at some points but especially during the summer I make sure the humidity stays low, 62% - 65%, so I can better prevent the beetles. Beetles need BOTH the hot temperature AND high humidity. If you can't control the temps then control the humidity. Never had to freeze my cigars nor have I ever had beetles.
    Thats why I love the forum it's not just "on paper" advice! I've been so worried for years I kept my ac blasting but with the economy in the crapper I'd rather save the money then pay a huge electric bill!
    Money can't buy taste
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    bandyt09:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    i disagree respectfully of course. I had temos really high one winter and rH wasn't that high and I had beetles. I am starting to freeze everything. And I mean everything.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I love my basement. I have my cabinet humidor in my ac room, and it is rock solid at 67 degrees.....
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Just to clarify, I also have my basement sit constantly at 65F. And ALL my humis sit at 67RH constantly. Have never had a problem yet with any of OUR smokes in the US of A. Even in the summer with shipping temps in USPS trucks reaching god knows what temp I am of the opinion that CCOMS speed of delivery and the NC markets' excellent Quality Control absolves this possible issue. My problem likely came from usps taking 15 days to get my package to me and it was a heat wave here in the northeast with temps in the 90s. I don't know what it was stored in by usps standards but who's to say they air condition their sort facilities. Like I said the NC market seems pretty safe but if you invested a LOT of your money in your collection maybe being safe is wise. I learned that.

On a side note I 100% inspected my full stash after this and all NCs were clean and aging beautifully. I respectfully disagree with the lower humidity by a few measly RH preventing beatles. If you are collecting and enjoying Havanas or mixing them with non Havanas, take it from someone who never had problems until stocking CCs and freeze to be safe. I saved my expensive stash by catching it early with these.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    catfishbluezz:
    I can vouch for this.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR