Home Ratings & Reviews

Armada

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Woo Hah!! Happy 4th of July to me!! I'm about halfway through an Armada toro grande and if the second half is as lovely as the first I think I know why C.Com lists them at $20 each. This one has about 10 months of rest on it and it's wonderful.

The burn is even, the draw is perfect, and it produces just the right amount of delicious, flavorful smoke. So far, I think I've detected hints of cream of asparagus, tutti-frutti bubblegum, and lychee fruit with just a faint touch of fresh road-apples for that coveted barnyard aroma. Of course, we all know how uneducated my palate is so I could be wrong.

In any case, I heartily recommend that you try one of these jewels.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I had a corona last night and was thoroughly unimpressed. I will try the toro though, it's funny how big of a difference that makes. I hate diesel corona, love uhc. Can't stand oliva V, loved the lancero. Don't like most tats, love tat lanceros.. Weird
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    After reading catfishes thoughts I had to grab for a armada I've been sitting on. It smoked good no burn issues and plenty of smoke. A nice somewhat firm draw and a pretty tight ash. The flavors were nice and subtle and Im glad I let it rest since I could still feel some of Aj's searing pepper. All in all it was a solid smoke and with time it should only get better.
    Money can't buy taste
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    so I'm 1/3 into the armada corona (first time having it). For me, the beginning is the familiar AJ spice and pepper. The type that will cake the back of your throat and leave a tongue tingling spice. Now w/in the second third, the spice and pepper has subsided a little bit and I'm getting a chocolatey nuttiness aspect to it. So far I like it. I feel this is more intense than the gran toro. Ya'll that's a part of my pass (which will start this Saturday) will get a chance to review it yourselves. I'll be curious as to see what you guys think.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    so I'm 1/3 into the armada corona (first time having it). For me, the beginning is the familiar AJ spice and pepper. The type that will cake the back of your throat and leave a tongue tingling spice. Now w/in the second third, the spice and pepper has subsided a little bit and I'm getting a chocolatey nuttiness aspect to it. So far I like it. I feel this is more intense than the gran toro. Ya'll that's a part of my pass (which will start this Saturday) will get a chance to review it yourselves. I'll be curious as to see what you guys think.
    The 2nd third was my favorite part, but the oliva V lancero was much tastier IMO
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    The 2nd third was my favorite part, but the oliva V lancero was much tastier IMO
    yea I agree. Liked the second third the best. Overall, good smoke. Not my favorite by any means but as we all know taste is subjective. I gotta light up a Oliva V lancero soon while that armada is fresh in mi head
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    yea I agree. Liked the second third the best. Overall, good smoke. Not my favorite by any means but as we all know taste is subjective. I gotta light up a Oliva V lancero soon while that armada is fresh in mi head
    Try the little devil!! I actually thought it was a little better for my taste
    Money can't buy taste
    will do dude. I'll put it on the top of my rotation. Rudy gifted me one. Ruuuudy ruuudy
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I LOVE Armadas. Toro grande and the corona. Love em. Luckily I have a little stash of em. I don't give em away like I used to... I keep what I've got now. lol
    BigT06:
    I LOVE Armadas. Toro grande and the corona. Love em. Luckily I have a little stash of em. I don't give em away like I used to... I keep what I've got now. lol
    that's actually really good to hear Todd. you crazy generous man youuu. I say please go smoke one soon and let me know your thoughts please
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few of the Toro Grandes, most were spectacular! Sadly, one of them swelled up and came apart at the seams, talk about a disappoinment. I still have a couple, hmm, couldn't have enjoyed one yesterday, too busy, but surely there's still something to celebrate. I know, Friday's coming! Yeeehah!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain