Home Cigar 101

musk

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
Hello. Snoobie here again. I realized that when I have various cigars, typically towards the latter third of the cigar, I get a musk. This may sound gross but I really dig it. When I say various cigars, I can't exactly isolate it to certain types. I've gotten it with claros (LFD), aged cameroon wrappers, and for the most part most ISOMs (Cohibas, JOs). But with ISOMs, I typically get it throughout the entire cigar. Any ideas? Would love to get your inputs misters.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Hello. Snoobie here again. I realized that when I have various cigars, typically towards the latter third of the cigar, I get a musk. This may sound gross but I really dig it. When I say various cigars, I can't exactly isolate it to certain types. I've gotten it with claros (LFD), aged cameroon wrappers, and for the most part most ISOMs (Cohibas, JOs). But with ISOMs, I typically get it throughout the entire cigar. Any ideas? Would love to get your inputs misters.
    ..eh musk? never got that from a cigar, now when I use to club and all that I would smell a "musk". Then I would get that ick factor. Thank god for the finger test.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    phobicsquirrel:
    jliu:
    ..eh musk? never got that from a cigar, now when I use to club and all that I would smell a "musk". Then I would get that ick factor. Thank god for the finger test.
    *barf*
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    ummm. I wasn't talking about stinky pinky!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I would try to identify it more than just a "Musk" To me, Musk is the basement smell and that's not favorable to me. But maybe to you it's a heated tobacco and tar that gives off the musk. Depending on your cigars you smoke it could be that the ISOMs are musk-y because ISOMs tend to be smaller vitolas, thus hotter tobacco and tar?
    I'm just thinking out loud, but I would narrow it down more to like an earthy musk, a stale musk or a nutrient or something, and then you can start to figure out why it's happening.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoke anything that has a proper Davidoff label on it. through the nose you get the signature "Kelner Musk"
    it is nothing short of amazing.
    hmm. ok. How do I explain this... So the most prominent "musk" that I taste is for instance... if you guys have tried a fresh rolled JO, I'm referring to that. Even when I open up a humi that has JOs in it, I get a wonderful smell of that. It's by no means a basement moldy smell at all. It's this earthy, wet, musk... I can't really explain it haha. Anyways, professor Kuzi, I'll try a Davidoff. Any specific Davidoff cigars you can direct me to with this "Kelner Musk?"
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    smoke anything that has a proper Davidoff label on it. through the nose you get the signature "Kelner Musk"
    I get this in Avo and love it, obviously a kelner blend. Havent had enough davidoff yet, but will soon. And jiunn, I know exactly what you are talking about.
    jliu:
    hmm. ok. How do I explain this... So the most prominent "musk" that I taste is for instance... if you guys have tried a fresh rolled JO, I'm referring to that. Even when I open up a humi that has JOs in it, I get a wonderful smell of that. It's by no means a basement moldy smell at all. It's this earthy, wet, musk... I can't really explain it haha. Anyways, professor Kuzi, I'll try a Davidoff. Any specific Davidoff cigars you can direct me to with this "Kelner Musk?"
    all of them have it but the Davidoff 2000 is the one i keep going back to.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jliu:
    I've gotten that thru a 64 with some good rest on it
    Money can't buy taste
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:
    I get this in Avo and love it, obviously a kelner blend. Havent had enough davidoff yet, but will soon. And jiunn, I know exactly what you are talking about.
    +1 Me too ! I've also experienced it with an AVO, the 85th anniv.. It has also been described as musty,, But I think Musk is a more accurate description..To me the muskiness is ok but not really my thing..
    ok cool. So people do know what I'm trying to describe haha. I'll give that Davidoff 2000 a shot
    jliu:
    ok cool. So people do know what I'm trying to describe haha. I'll give that Davidoff 2000 a shot
    Lol good call even if you don't get the musk it's still a great stick!! So win win for you
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    jliu:
    a 64? what davidoff has the number 64?
    kuzi16:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    jliu:
    I was going with padron
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    jliu:
    I was going with padron
    Even I had that figured out.
    Come on Kuzi, try to keep up. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    When I think pardon I think barnyard or wet hay.
    0patience:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    jliu:
    I was going with padron
    Even I had that figured out.
    Come on Kuzi, try to keep up. LOL!
    in my mind when you talk musk there is really no other name other than davidoff.
    threw me for a loop.
    kuzi16:
    in my mind when you talk musk there is really no other name other than davidoff.
    threw me for a loop.
    Kind of figured. I was just bustin yer chops. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Yeah, I think I know what youre talking about bc it seems that every ISOM I've had has this sort of flavor that I find delicious too!
    mmccartneydc:
    jliu:
    Yeah, I think I know what youre talking about bc it seems that every ISOM I've had has this sort of flavor that I find delicious too!
    i do get some musk out of cubans but more commonly and prominently i get the "twang" that i can only describe as "sharp earth"
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    jliu:
    i do get some musk out of cubans but more commonly and prominently i get the "twang" that i can only describe as "sharp earth"
    Wouldn't have used twang(only cause to my palate it's very subtle) but "sharp earth" hits it right on the head!
    + snoob
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Musk is def a personal preference thing. Some love it some hate it. Personally I like it. I smoke a lot of AVOs and a decent amount of CCs, with a Davidoff or 2 from time to time as well. The Davidoffs def bring it to the front the hardest, especially on the retrohale. Certain AVOs represent it very well, too.

With Cubans, it only really comes through on very fresh or very aged cigars, in my experience. The mix when the Cuban "twang" and the musk start to intermingle make the complexity and profile that puts Cuban cigars on a pedestal. It has to be experienced to be recognized or described.
    BigT06:
    Musk is def a personal preference thing. Some love it some hate it. Personally I like it. I smoke a lot of AVOs and a decent amount of CCs, with a Davidoff or 2 from time to time as well. The Davidoffs def bring it to the front the hardest, especially on the retrohale. Certain AVOs represent it very well, too.

With Cubans, it only really comes through on very fresh or very aged cigars, in my experience. The mix when the Cuban "twang" and the musk start to intermingle make the complexity and profile that puts Cuban cigars on a pedestal. It has to be experienced to be recognized or described.
    I agree bigToddrick. Can you recommend some AVOs and Davidoffs where you've personally experienced this? Perhaps we can exchange some recipes for peach pies as well? ok no really though, I know what you mean regarding tasting the musk and "twang." I loooove it.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Any Davidoff, really. kuzi says the 2000 is the best example, and he has more experience with the brand than I do. As far as AVO... the Classic and the 787 have a good amount of musk, but nearly all AVOs have at least some hint of it. I personally like the Heritage and the Domaine the best (I really like the 787 too, but they are pricey).
    BigT06:
    Any Davidoff, really. kuzi says the 2000 is the best example, and he has more experience with the brand than I do. As far as AVO... the Classic and the 787 have a good amount of musk, but nearly all AVOs have at least some hint of it. I personally like the Heritage and the Domaine the best (I really like the 787 too, but they are pricey).
    ok cool. basically try all AVOs haha. oh and all Davidoffs. Onto the BnM!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    BigT06:
    ok cool. basically try all AVOs haha. oh and all Davidoffs. Onto the BnM!
    I agree with the 787 and classic, those are my favorite from the line. I'll be grabbing some davidoff here soon too