Home Cigar 101

New Guy With Humidity ?

I am a new guy around here and have been reading for some time on this fine site. I have been smoking good cigars for about a year and seriously smoking good cigars for about 6 months. My father-in-law gave me about a 50 ct. humi and i realized very quickly I needed bigger, so I bought a 200 ct. from the horrable "T" word...LOL. But anyway I have been using the foam filled humidifier and realized it isn't for me.

So my question is when you take the cost out of it what is the easiest most efficient way to go Boveda Packets, Cigar Oasis or Heartfelt Beads? Now I know alot of you guys will recomend the Heartfelt Beads but I have read good things about the Boveda Packs (except cost being disposable) but is there anything else wrong with the Boveda Pack? Another question I have does the Boveda Packs indeed also take humidity back in if it goes too high? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have already learned alot reading on this forum and am looking forward to getting to know a few of you guys better.

Thanks,

Lance

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Firs things first, welcome to the forums.

I also hear a lot of good things about the Boveda packs, with the only downside being that you have to replace them regularly. But if you like them, I say go with them, the cost isn't terribly high. I believe the Boveda packs do function as a two-way humidity control, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone who uses them can field that question.

Aside from that, the Cigar Oasis is a pretty good way to maintain humidity with a minimum of maintenance. The beads are also good, but they do require a bit of attention in keeping them charged, though it's nothing major and it is pretty easy to tell when they need a charge by monitoring your humidity and seeing when it drops. One bit of advice about the beads is to get as much as twice what they claim you need to maintain humidity, this will prolong the time between recharges.
  • j0z3r:
    Firs things first, welcome to the forums.

I also hear a lot of good things about the Boveda packs, with the only downside being that you have to replace them regularly. But if you like them, I say go with them, the cost isn't terribly high. I believe the Boveda packs do function as a two-way humidity control, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone who uses them can field that question.

Aside from that, the Cigar Oasis is a pretty good way to maintain humidity with a minimum of maintenance. The beads are also good, but they do require a bit of attention in keeping them charged, though it's nothing major and it is pretty easy to tell when they need a charge by monitoring your humidity and seeing when it drops. One bit of advice about the beads is to get as much as twice what they claim you need to maintain humidity, this will prolong the time between recharges.

First things first thanks for the welcome and for your reply. I understand about the downside of the cost replacing the Boveda Packs but right now with work remodeling a house and baby due in June I just don't have time to deal with the upkeep of beads. Once things are cuaght up for me (if ever...LOL) I will most likely change over to beads. For now I think the Boveda Packs would work best. However I would like to hear more opinions on them and one thing I would like to find out for sure is if the Boveda's indeed work as a 2 way device? I do like the looks of the Cigar Oasis but just haven't had time to research it enough and I am worried about over humifification. Any other sugestions or opinions are very welcome.

Thanks,

Lance

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what you mean about upkeep with beads? All in all you don't touch them for a few months and they keep and regulate humidity. Much more so than the boveda packs (though they work very well). It's been a while since I looked at those packs and how many you'd need but you can get a pound of beads for like under 20 or so dollars.. (yeah I haven't bought some in a while). Everyone has the thing they like but as for upkeep beads are probably the best for upkeep free.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I use and love the Boveda Packs. Just drop and forget and they actually work just like they are supposed to. I have never used beads and now because of the Boveda's probably never will. I use 3 packs per 50 cigars and this does an excellent job. I use the 69's and my humis stay a constant 67-68 range. I'm cool with that range. The only way I'll ever use anything else will be when I get my cabinet humidor (hopefully a little later this year). Then I'll travel over the mountain to 'Bino's house and let him instruct me on how to properly set it up and test smoke about 12 of his smokes to get the 'feel' of how the large cabinet humi's work heeheehee ....
    gmill880:
    I use and love the Boveda Packs. Just drop and forget and they actually work just like they are supposed to. I have never used beads and now because of the Boveda's probably never will. I use 3 packs per 50 cigars and this does an excellent job. I use the 69's and my humis stay a constant 67-68 range. I'm cool with that range. The only way I'll ever use anything else will be when I get my cabinet humidor (hopefully a little later this year). Then I'll travel over the mountain to 'Bino's house and let him instruct me on how to properly set it up and test smoke about 12 of his smokes to get the 'feel' of how the large cabinet humi's work heeheehee ....
    I'm sure he's cool with this.....
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    I'm sure he's cool with this.....

Oh Yeah he's real cool with it. We already have planned out what we're going to grill out, our drinking selections are made, and our smoking choices for that weekend. He_ll we're even in each others wills as cigar beneficiarys ....we are TRUE BOTL's LMAO...he's my brother he's not heavy...;)
    ...umm wow you really have this all planned out. are there hot tubs involved in this too?
    phobicsquirrel:
    ...umm wow you really have this all planned out. are there hot tubs involved in this too?

Maybe and we could invite you too but how does squirrel fur work out in a hot tub ....you don't like shed or anything do ya ???
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

Maybe and we could invite you too but how does squirrel fur work out in a hot tub ....you don't like shed or anything do ya ???
    lol..
  • Thanks for all the help guys. I did pick up 6 of the 72rh bovida packs today and put them in my Humi too try out. I will post an update on what I think about them in a few days. I would like to still know what you other guys use and why you use them.

Thanks Lance 

bigtatty-I think you'll be very happy with these. If you have the 72's you will probably level out around 70, thats been my experience. I just wish I had started using these sooner. Let us know how they work for you ...
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    bigtatty-I think you'll be very happy with these. If you have the 72's you will probably level out around 70, thats been my experience. I just wish I had started using these sooner. Let us know how they work for you ...

You now, i used to pray to the church of gel crystals(dont get me wrong they are still bad ass) But i find myself using more and more boveda packs. Theyre simply fool proof! N matter what environtment, temp, or cigar quantity, these things deliver....i love em!
  • gmill880:

So far I am at 71% . Should I swap to the 69% packs or stay with the 72%packs ? I really like my smokes at 70% . So far I think these packs are great and worth every penny IMO .

Thanks Lance  

bigtattoo79:

gmill880:

So far I am at 71% . Should I swap to the 69% packs or stay with the 72%packs ? I really like my smokes at 70% . So far I think these packs are great and worth every penny IMO .

Thanks Lance  

I would give it a week to make sure your settled in and level ...In mt experience they go a little low so if you want 70 then 72's are probably where you need to stay, you should level off at 70-71. If you go 69's like mine you'll be a couple lower and farther from 70 in my opinion
  • gmill880:
    bigtattoo79:

gmill880:

Thanks Lance  

I would give it a week to make sure your settled in and level ...In mt experience they go a little low so if you want 70 then 72's are probably where you need to stay, you should level off at 70-71. If you go 69's like mine you'll be a couple lower and farther from 70 in my opinion

Thanks Bro sounds like good advice to me and I will take it LOL . How long have you been with the packs if you dont mind me asking ? I also just placed my first order with Cigar.com if they get stuff sent out faster than the last place I was buying from I will be with them for a long time the guy was very nice thats always a good thing .

Thanks Lance     

bigtattoo79:
    gmill880:
    bigtattoo79:

gmill880:

Thanks Lance  

Thanks Bro sounds like good advice to me and I will take it LOL . How long have you been with the packs if you dont mind me asking ? I also just placed my first order with Cigar.com if they get stuff sent out faster than the last place I was buying from I will be with them for a long time the guy was very nice thats always a good thing .

Thanks Lance     

Have not been using them all that long but once I started I was kicking myself for not using them from the start....I love the drop and forget especially with the absorb/release ability...just eases my mind. I don't feel like I have to open each humi everyday as they are super consistant.
  • So far I can say I am hooked on the  Boveda packs and like someone said with the 72% packs I am holding 70% all day long. I thank all you guys for all the great info.

Thanks Lance

• bigtattoo79bigtattoo79 Posts: 36

OK my thought on the Boveda Packets are they are great thay work as said throw in and forget about them. They will cost me about $25.00 every 2 month but I think its worth it to keep 200 smokes safe and happy. One day I might try something else but for now  Boveda Packs all the way.

Thanks Lance

bigtattoo79:

OK my thought on the Boveda Packets are they are great thay work as said throw in and forget about them. They will cost me about $25.00 every 2 month but I think its worth it to keep 200 smokes safe and happy. One day I might try something else but for now  Boveda Packs all the way.

Thanks Lance

:)

Does Cigar.com sell the Boveda Packs ? I dont see them on the site but just wanted to ask.

Thanks Lance

I don't think so , some B&M's have them, one close to me sells them but they have a sparce collection and usually don't have the 69's I use

Yea the B&M by me only has the 72s also (thats what I use so thats good) . I have been hooked on buying from Cigar.com so just wanted to ask.

Thanks Lance

I also just got the Boveda one step calibration kit to try out. Has anyone else used one?

Thanks Lance

bigtattoo79:

I also just got the Boveda one step calibration kit to try out one step calibration kit to try out. Has anyone else used one?

Thanks Lance

OK I did the salt test and came up with 75% and then used the Boveda one step calibration kit and came up with 75% so I am sure both test are rigrt on. I can say for the $3.00 I spent on the Boveda calibration kit it is worth it not to have to fool around with salt and dis. warter and trying not to spill it in the bag . I cannot say enough about how happy I am with all the Boveda items I have used THEY ARE WORTH THE MONEY !!

Thanks Lance