Home Cigar 101
Options

My Cooledor Set-Up.

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Haven't set-up a cooledor before, but would appreciate input. Rinse with water and mild detergent. Repeat. Wipe dry thoroughly. No smell. Otherwise let sit in sun. Place boxes of cigars in cooler. Including unwrapped single cigars. Add Hygrometer and correct number of Boveda packets. I have always trused Boveda. Will use 69% Open periodically for air. Do this anyway when I look for a cigar. Keep out of sun and extreme temps (cold or hot). I am only using spanish cedar that comes with cigars. Not seasoning the boxes. Did I screw up anywhere?

Comments

• Options
    hairnutzhairnutz Posts: 4
    Im not an expert but thats basically what I did - except for the cigar boxes part. I found someone on ebay that was selling 1/4 thick 24 inch long and 4 1/2 wide panels of kiln dried spanish ceder. I got 5 panels for 25$ shipped. I then cut them to fit and used non-smelly hot glue to attach the panels. I scuffed up the interior of the cooler where I would mount the panels with sand paper and then I washed / rinsed / repeated / dried.

After the glue set, I seasoned it which only took 5 days. I have 65% heartfelt beads in there now with 1/3 as many cigars as it can hold and its holding 63 or so RH.

Im also using a small waterproof plano fishing tackle box to hold my beads. I didnt get the waterproof one for its waterproof abilities -- I actually drilled 200 tiny holes in it. I got it because it has a strong cam type latch on both sides so that when I mounted it to the lid (using hot glue), I didnt have to worry about it opening up on me.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I seasoned the boxes personally, seemed like when I added a non seasoned box, the rh dropped dramatically as t soaked up the rh. Good luck
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I seasoned the boxes personally, seemed like when I added a non seasoned box, the rh dropped dramatically as t soaked up the rh. Good luck
    +1 always season the boxes you put in I actually have a Tupperware container with crystals on stand by every time I grab a new empty box I put it in for a day then fill it up
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hairnutz:
    Im not an expert but thats basically what I did - except for the cigar boxes part. I found someone on ebay that was selling 1/4 thick 24 inch long and 4 1/2 wide panels of kiln dried spanish ceder. I got 5 panels for 25$ shipped. I then cut them to fit and used non-smelly hot glue to attach the panels. I scuffed up the interior of the cooler where I would mount the panels with sand paper and then I washed / rinsed / repeated / dried. After the glue set, I seasoned it which only took 5 days. I have 65% heartfelt beads in there now with 1/3 as many cigars as it can hold and its holding 63 or so RH. Im also using a small waterproof plano fishing tackle box to hold my beads. I didnt get the waterproof one for its waterproof abilities -- I actually drilled 200 tiny holes in it. I got it because it has a strong cam type latch on both sides so that when I mounted it to the lid (using hot glue), I didnt have to worry about it opening up on me.
    Thanks for the heads up on the cedar; never thought to look there, but I see a few good looking pieces. How did the 1/4" thick work for you? Did you just do shelves, or line the inside too? I'm just wondering if thicker or thinner would be better (I'm thinking of doing a shelf or 2 when I do this)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America